16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Fed premium 1 1/4 oz
Savage16
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:26 pm  Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience with these? Way too much for my elsie, but maybe my Japanese Sweet 16 for pheasants.

JNW
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:25 am  Reply with quote

I have several boxes of old Fed Premium from the late 70s or 89s. 1 1/4 oz buffered plated shot. Goes about 1300 fps. I only shoot it for wild pheasants in a German guild gun. Patterns tight. Do not know what todays loads are like, but the ones I have are stout!!! Not really necessary for pheasants, but it was given to me.
Regards,
Jeff
byrdog
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:05 am  Reply with quote

I have tried 1.25oz loads of many descriptions including the Feds. None of them killed birds any more reliably than a good 1oz load. I used to use 1.125oz #8 for woodcock out of a cylinder barrel and once in a while I would regret it as the were still to close. Leave the over loads home use em for home defense or something

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:55 pm  Reply with quote

In the past, 16 ga Federal Premium 1-1/4 ounce, 4# loads have proven themselves to me a number of times when the shots get long and the conditions tough. I now hand load my own 1-1/4 ounce load of # 4s, but I'd not hesitate to recommend the Federal load to anyone who must take long shots under tough conditions with a 16. Just having a few of these loads in my shell pocket is a comfort whether I'll need them or not. They are just about indispensable when the time comes for them.

There are about 170 #4 pellets in a 1-1/4 ounce load. The pellet count is under the minimum 200 count considered adequate for decent killing patterns on pheasant sized birds at 40 yards or more. Under average conditions, a fast 1-1/8 oz. load of #5 shot will be very effective out to 40 yards or so. However, those big #4 pellets really wallop big tough roosters like nothing else will out at maximum ranges when the season has gotten old, the birds have become extra wary, and the wind is cold and fierce.

In my experience, #4 pellets are the biggest size the average 16 bore will pattern well. Some 16s with smaller than standard .661" diameter bores won't shoot #4 shot effectively. Those with somewhat overbored barrels tend to handle the big pellets very well. However, selecting the right choke constriction is mandatory in order to get the best long range patterns out of these heavy loads of big pellets.

I suggest trying an improved modified or a tight modified choke (22 to 26 points) over a snug full choke of 32 points or more. In my experience, full chokes tend to open the patterns up some. Even so, each gun barrel is a law unto itself, so test what you have and go from there.

Good luck. You will thank yourself for making the effort when the time comes.
df
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:29 pm  Reply with quote

I have not shot them in my 16s, but like them a lot in my 28 ga for pheasants. I bought a good supply of them years ago.
DanLee
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:37 pm  Reply with quote

The Federal 1-1/4 oz shells are the remnant of a time when lead was allowed for waterfowl and the 16 gauge was a viable and respected bore size. I still have a stock of the Federals, plus some Canadian Imperial shells with 3-1/2 dr eq behind the same weight. I also reload hunting shells with the above parameters. Why? Because I can and because the 16 can handle it. Most of my 16 gauge shooting involves light target and game loads, typically 1 oz down to 3/4 oz--quail and clay pigeons. But when it's hammer time, I want the hammer.

Dan
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:34 pm  Reply with quote

DanLee's comment brings to mind how the old high-brass, high-impact, heavy loads of larger pellets were invariably marked and marketed as "Duck and Pheasant Loads". On the box and on the shells. Still have a box or so here.

Now they're sold for $15 or more as "Pheasant Loads".
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:41 pm  Reply with quote

Years ago, both Don Zutz and Ed Matunas independently made extensive observations on the effects of pellet sizes on thousands of pheasants shot with #7.5 through #4 pellets over several seasons. Both men spent many hours accompanying many shooters using various loads on commercial hunts for stocked birds. Their studies and published findings both agree the best possible pheasant load is a 12 ga, 1-1/2 ounce baby magnum load of #4 shot. The big pellets kill pheasant more surely and cleanly than any lesser size pellets and do it under all conditions. They both agree that pellets smaller than #5 shot tended to cause the loss of too many wounded birds. This includes the much recommended #6 shot.

I've often used loads as light as a 28 ga., 7/8 ounce load of #7 shot on pheasant with relatively good results if conditions were right, ranges were short, and the birds were very well centered forward in the head and neck. So I can't claim only #4 or #5 shot are effective on pheasant. My own experiences have shown me otherwise.

However, when it comes to longer range shooting under tough hunting conditions, my own experiences agree with those of Matunas and Zutz. My most effective late season/tough condition pheasant load and gun combo has always been my 12 ga Browning Citori Superlight loaded with 1-1/2 ounce loads of #4s. I can say that 100% of those birds I've solidly centered from any angle with the load were rendered dead in the air out as far out as I'd care to shoot. Less well hit birds tended not to go far if even only two or three pellets hit a vital spot or if the birds' wings were broken. My experiences with 16 ga. 1-1/4 ounce loads are closely similar. Only my maximum effective range has been reduced some.

I bow to the efforts and expertise of these two men, and I won't argue with my own successes either. The rest of you can do as you see fit. That is your right. Good luck.
morngstar
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:44 pm  Reply with quote

"My experiences with 16 ga. 1-1/4 ounce loads are closely similar." +1

Thanks for sharing this information. I know it to be true.

This is how I have hunted pheasant for the last 30 yrs. Whether its a SxS, Pump, or Auto, my first shot is a light load #6 and if needed my last shot is a magnum #4 shot. The #4 penetrates vitals and break bones past 40yds. I also recommend the #4 magnums on squirrel and jack rabbit 30-50yds.

1935 Superposed 3 inch chambered, 16ga conversion
Browning 725 16ga
chopper
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:01 pm  Reply with quote

I used them on late season pheasants in SD with good results about 10 yrs ago. When the wind is really carrying the pheasants up and away quickly 4s seem to kill more reliably. Pretty stout load in a light gun, but I usually don't notice much with an extra sweater on. I usually shoot 1.125 5s otherwise with good results.