16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Feeling bad today!
Foursquare
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:51 pm  Reply with quote

About 20 years ago I was doing my Mario Andretti Impression past a lonely farm. Rounded a bend and WHAM, saw a dove lift off from the road and then a few feathers drifted over the hood. Of course, I pulled over, ran back, and picked up dinner. Smile

A wise man, whose name escapes me, once said "One doesn't hunt in order to kill. Rather one kills in order to have hunted."

That pretty much sums it up for me. Though here's another good one.

"If you really want to understand an animal, hunt it."

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:52 pm  Reply with quote

No compunction whatsoever about shooting smart** east coasters Laughing What should we do with Beau the super Slab? Wink

brdhnt
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:12 pm  Reply with quote

I too feel remorse when I have hit a game animal or bird. I think it has to do with the kill being a small part of the hunting experience as we "mature" as hunters. I know I always feel bad because the animal is basically wasted since it is usually not retrieved and eaten.

Interestingly, I just got my truck back from the bodyshop yesterday after hitting a deer in New Mexico on my way to Colorado. It was a yearling doe that ran out from the ditch. Even though I just clipped her with the left front and on the brush guard, it still killed her and did $3000 damage to the truck.

In February of 2005, I rolled my Yukon avoiding a stray dog that ran into the roadway in front of me. I was telling a friend about the accident and he put it rather succinctly: "It really says something about your character with all of the animals you've killed in your lifetime that you still care enough about life that you wreck a $40,000 vehicle to avoid a stray dog."

I drive that stretch of highway several times a week and surprisingly, I don't think about the accident as much as about his comment.

It is interesting that we as hunters actually care more about the life of the animals we hunt then the rest of the population that has never experienced the death of an animal as we have. We have seen the many ways that an animal can die and although our shot may be painful, we try to make the pain as short as possible and the death swift. We feel that we owe it to the animal and ourselves to do so.

A couple of years ago I was coming back from a two-week, three state pheasant hunting trip when I hit a hen that flushed across the road in front of me. Of all the pheasant taken on that trip, the only one I regretted was that hen. Can I really explain that? No. But I know I wouldn't be a hunter if that hen's death DIDN'T bother me.

TMB
________
Gm premium v engine

Last edited by brdhnt on Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
3DocPop
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:15 am  Reply with quote

brdhnt wrote:
It is interesting that we as hunters actually care more about the life of the animals we hunt then the rest of the population that has never experienced the death of an animal as we have. We have seen the many ways that an animal can die and although our shot may be painful, we try to make the pain as short as possible and the death swift. We feel that we owe it to the animal and ourselves to do so.

Couldn't have said it better. I still remember the night (almost 25 years ago) a cat ran in front of the car. Not sure why, but I felt the need to check, and sure enough it was 1 Obviously a well cared for pet, and 2 Not dead, but soon to be. I used what was available to help the cat from this world, nearly crying the whole time.

Now I realize I have opened the door to all kinds of KAT responses, but I have never yet met one I consider a true hunter that doesn't feel that little regret when the animal dies, be it intentional, or worse accidental. BTw, bring the KAT responses on, if so inclined.
hunshatt
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:18 am  Reply with quote

3doc, no smart*** replies from the east coast, other than rev is so into kats, he went so far as to get a Kat/dog.