16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Hearing Protection
DougK
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:44 am  Reply with quote

I dont know if you use hearing protection but after not using hearing protection a few years ago and having my ears ring for a few months I went with hearing protection. And never leave home with out it.

I was looking for batteries and found this deal at Walmart I found this deal http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4787043 I wish they where this cheap when I bought them a few years ago.

I dont work at Walmart Shocked and not work for Harris Quest but I have their analog and digital products and am very happy with them.

Doug
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:36 pm  Reply with quote

Everyone should wear hearing protection around loud noises--not just gunfire--I know-- most of my hearing has been lost to high decibel noises--Young shooters pay attention Idea Idea Idea
nossman
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:18 pm  Reply with quote

Hearing protection is a must if around a lot of gun fire, like a range. I believe that most ranges today, require the use of hearing protection.

I'm curious though. How many of you wear hearing protection while hunting?
DougK
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:56 am  Reply with quote

I always wear hearing protection when hunting. Kind of like the old american express commercials never leave home without it.
3DocPop
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:00 am  Reply with quote

There are occasions I will pull a trigger without hearing protection (like when the Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Exclamation is pecking a hole in my home), but never on a planned outing, be it hunting or range.

I recently purchased custom fit, non-electronic plugs from EarInc.com. They have a channel or tube with a filter, that does let a bit more sound in, but also eliminates pressure in the ear, and allows for pretty normal conversation. Had a set like them years ago, in my heavy equipment days.
DougK
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:20 am  Reply with quote

3DocPop wrote:
There are occasions I will pull a trigger without hearing protection (like when the Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Exclamation is pecking a hole in my home), but never on a planned outing, be it hunting or range.

I recently purchased custom fit, non-electronic plugs from EarInc.com. They have a channel or tube with a filter, that does let a bit more sound in, but also eliminates pressure in the ear, and allows for pretty normal conversation. Had a set like them years ago, in my heavy equipment days.

Are these the plugs your referencing? http://www.earinc.com/p1-filtered-afiltered.php for $110, great value. How do they work???

When I first got the in the canal ear plus these where not avialable. I might need to get a par just to use on windy days when the electronic dont let you hear better. Plus it saves on batteries...
3DocPop
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:20 pm  Reply with quote

Doug, those are the ones - except I did not go for the chameleon, or the color changing, or any of that stuff. I think they work reasonably well, and I really like the filter. I can't wear foam plugs very long, and have not had the funds for electronic (yet!)
DougK
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:15 am  Reply with quote

I wish those where out when I was looking as I would have gone with them for $110 vs $500 for the electronic.