16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Model 12 versus Model 31
chiclothe
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:44 pm  Reply with quote

Anybody know the history of the M31?

gunflint charlie
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:01 pm  Reply with quote

Follow the links in the first post from Skeetx responding to the OP.
kgb
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:05 pm  Reply with quote

scraggley wrote:
However I agree with gunflint charlie that the line of the stock back of the receiver does not quite look right. It has never prevented me from buying or using them however.

++ to this. Different, not really un-right, but distinctive to the M37. If I shot mine better I'd have kept at least one of them.
Baden Powell
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:53 am  Reply with quote

I'm currently shooting a Model 97 in 16, but I started out with a nice old Nickel Steel Model 12 in 16, and never shot better with any other gun. I have tried most of them except the Mossbergs, including the Ithaca and the BPS in both 12 and 16. I just can't get used to the bottom feeders, I guess -- or at least never bonded with them. I'll admit the simplicity and handling of the 37 makes it a staunch choice in a grouse tangle. Maybe if we had woodcock out here in Oregon I'd be more tempted to try one again.
Peacore
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:06 pm  Reply with quote

Smile

This is an interesting subject and since it is still alive I'll add my two cents.

I have owned the M12, M31, M37, BPS and Mossberg 500 guns.

I don't hunt with any of them, just shoot skeet with them now. I have hunted with the M12 in the past.

Of all of these guns I feel the M31 is the best one FOR ME. Mine is an old 16 gauge with the checked forearm and steel receiver. It has a 26" IC barrel.

The M31 just fits me better and works a little smoother than my 16 gauge M12. These are the only two 16 gauge pumps I have left.

In the end the M31 is the one that will stay in the safe. Maybe it has a decoying duck in it's future? I hope so.

Ernie

Lloyd3
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:24 am  Reply with quote

My 1935 gun is your 16s big brother, and like you, I am impressed with it's fit and finish. I was going to track down a 16 (and still might) but something else came along first. My goal is still to have a table of pump 16s to compare at the range someday.
Golfswithwolves
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:48 pm  Reply with quote

gunflint charlie wrote:
Probably suggesting bottom eject guns are less likely to have debris get in the receiver. I've used both types, and never had a side eject gun fail due to stuff getting in -- nor do I know anyone who has. It could happen, but the very remote possibility of missing a shot opportunity doesn't influence my choice of pump gun.

I do like the bottom eject guns putting the empties at your feet.

Jay
I had a piece of a cornstalk make its way into my Model 12 once while hunting. It made operation of the gun difficult; turned it into a single shot and confused me a mite until I took the gun apart and solved the problem. But I still like the Model 12 despite this episode. Model 31 and Model 37 guns are nice too but I kept the Winchester instead of the other two.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:01 pm  Reply with quote

Anyone who has frequently hunted in thick, weedy cover with any type of gun can tell you a surprising amount of junk like weed seeds, blades of grass, leaf particles, plant stalks, fluff, and plant detritus will work their way into the action regardless of how hard we try to prevent it. This includes bottom feed/eject designs. However, less gets in, and fewer shells fall out with bottom ported guns. The lifter/ejector acts as a barrier and works to our favor here. Just how it is.

Works for me. Might for anyone.
popplecop
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:26 am  Reply with quote

My slide action 16s consist of a 31 with the dreaded Poly Choke, but it works well and a 37.Like them both. Only Win. I had was a Model 1912 20 ga. with a solid rib. For a 20 thought it was a little heavy and to be honest didn't shoot it very well. Now that was 50 years ago. I'm satisfied with my 37 and 31 for when I use a slide.

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:14 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy, you say the shell lifter on bottom eject guns "acts as a barrier and works to our favor" in keeping trash out of the gun. However, with the action closed, the shell lifter on every bottom eject gun I know is either up in the upper or "bolt half" of the action ( Rem 17, Ithaca 37, BPS), or up against the side of the action (Rem 10 and 29). The underside of the action is completely open, with the action closed or open. The shell lifter is in no position to block anything. So what did you mean by "lifter acts as a barrier"? It's not "Just how it is"; it's just how it isn't - Just how it can't be.

I'm not saying the bottom eject pumps don't have an anti-trash advantage. If such a gun is held upright, gravity does a good job of that - trash doesn't fall up. Whatever advantage is there, however, isn't due to the shell lifter, and having hunted with both bottom and side ejecting guns in all circumstances, I'll wager whatever advantage is there is negligible.

I anticipate the next approach will be to say the bolt itself is a barrier to trash intrusion in a bottom ejector. (What else can it be, as that is basically all that is exposed to the inquiring eye.) And I'd say yes, the closed bolt does keep most trash out of the workings of a bottom ejecting pump, in a manner about exactly the same as the closed bolt of a side-ejector does![/i]
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:56 am  Reply with quote

No argument SS. I omitted something important--the hull flying out of the mag tube and landing on the lifter prongs. The base acts to clear out any crud in a hurry. Works pretty well too.

The system is closed when the bolt is fully engaged and the round chambered. Junk can temporarily lodge in the space under the bolt. However, most of it gets ejected when the empty hull also tossed out. Crud still gets in, but it's a very small amount. Far less gets in than what usually enters into a repeater with both a side ejection port and a loading port on the bottom. That has been my experience anyway.

Quite frankly, I've never figured out how to always or even infrequently carry my shotguns in a horizontal/bottom down position when upland hunting. I usually have the gun at port arms, barrel up, receiver bottom facing away from me when I'm snaking my way through typical upland cover--at least in the areas I've hunted in. Anyone who has had to wangle their way through heavy cover after a very birdy and determined dog will tell you the same. We get crud into our guns, but we get our share of birds too. It ain't pretty, but it works. Laughing I get less crud in my bottom ported models. Just how it is.
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:07 pm  Reply with quote

FWIW: Saw the first Model 31L I've seen in a long time online yesterday on Guns International. It's a 20 and it isn't cheap.