16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Mec Grabber primer tray
Griffon
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:01 am  Reply with quote

Purchased a Mec Grabber with the new and improved primer drop. After 300 W209 or so primers have dropped nothing slides anymore. Instructions say clean tray with furniture polish and I get another 300 or so. Cheddite 209s slide longer without gumming up. Asked Mec why not a metal tray, got a beat around the bush no answer.So now I have a Mec Grabber that "when" the primers drop they land in the pocket and a 650 that always drop a primer but never in the same place twice. Anybody got a miracle lube? Thanks

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:32 am  Reply with quote

I use Johnson's paste wax on my MEC 9000G new, improved primer trays. I get way more than 300 reloads before going after it again with the wax, but not sure how many more. It works so well, it hasn't been an issue in a long time. I just put on a few coats, buffing after each application and the primers just keep feeding.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:05 pm  Reply with quote

I've had zero issues with any of the original 100 count metal auto feed primer trays on my older MEC Grabbers. The original trays feed primers slicker than owl poop. I don't mind adding primers every 100, because it gives me a chance to check my powder and shot bottles, empty my spent primer container, and check the press settings. Adding primers and checking the press takes but a few seconds, so I don't see any advantage to going "bigger and improved".

But then I got the "new improved" metal tray on my 16 ga Grabber. Yeah. Right!!
"Improved" is a relative term I guess. Might improve sales to newbies who think they need to crank out a gazillion loads an hour, but it don't improve anything else. Laughing

The newer tray holds more, but the tray angle is not as steep and the clear plastic tray lid interfers w/ the primer feed on some brands, because it sits too low when it is snapped closed. I modified it to sit a bit higher by adding a bit of tape to the tray flanges. I also bent the tube a tad (go easy here), so the tray angle is a bit steeper. Problem solved.

I don't have one of the new plastic models. I guess MEC has "improved" things again. Why do fools fix things that ain't broke? Oh well. Good luck with yours.
mike campbell
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:24 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
JNW
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:56 pm  Reply with quote

I use a silicone spray. Wipe it on and it lasts for 1000s of primers.
Jeff
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:51 pm  Reply with quote

I rubbed wax paper on my tray.

Unrelated-my primer tube snapped off-weld failed. Any one else have this problem?