16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  What do you wear when hunting?
DougK
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:06 pm  Reply with quote

Here in Texas we just had a cold front blow in, its now 85 degrees opps I was wrong it was 95 vs 100...

Tomorrow is the start of dove season, and to keep with tradition I am walking out the back door and going hunting in the morning. Hunting meaning walking and stalking the dove, not sitting on a field.

I plan on wearing clothes Rolling Eyes and thought about camo but then thought why... Idea after looking throught the Orvis bird hunting catalogue. I am planning on a nice tan shirt and jeans or dark pants.

What do you wear when hunting?

Doug

Last edited by DougK on Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:31 pm  Reply with quote

Doug-Glad you planned on wearing clothes-in some states it's illegal not to Embarassed Shocked I throw on whatever is lightweight and not really concerned about the color/camo pattern when shooting doves--They are plenty of them this time of year and they are not really cautious----yet Wink
DDawg
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:52 pm  Reply with quote

Naked dove shooting????? Shocked Man, that sound interesting Wink Butt I don't know about running through the mesquite after a wounded bird Laughing Besides, I think about all that dust sticking to the sun block.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:41 am  Reply with quote

"Naked dove shooting?????"

Now THIS is a thread that needs some more posts and saved for posterior...uh...that's...posterity Rolling Eyes

nutcase
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:38 am  Reply with quote

Apparently the way it works in Texas is ... If ya' got it flaunt it in the dove field.

No need to post any pics though.
DougK
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:21 am  Reply with quote

How do you post pictures again? Shocked

Oh THIS IS A G RATED SITE. Never mind. Shocked Razz
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:25 pm  Reply with quote

I've got a gazillion navy blue t-shirts. And of course blue jeans. Dark colors for sitting in the shadows of walnut trees in a fenceline. The doves fly between a pond, a just harvested sod field, and a corn field. No hunting until after noon, 6 days a week.

A few years ago one of our local writers, Tom Fegely, said just about any color is good for doves EXCEPT blue. It seems it scares the bejesus out of them! Who knows?
kgb
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:28 pm  Reply with quote

I tried out that theory of blue this year, wearing the lightest shade of blue jeans I have. Previously, I've worn a green camo pattern for doves and this time I substituted the jeans for the cammie trousers.

The doves flared big time. Maybe darker blue would have made a difference, as there was a pretty high contrast between the dark shirt and the lighter pants, but opening day birds flared more than they had before and I wasn't moving at all as they came in. Maybe I was just paying more attention and expecting the outcome I got, but watching doves approach others in the same field who were wearing tans or shades of green camo I saw far fewer flaring birds. Only one test, but I'm a believer.

I grew up under the post-noon restrictions, still won't get out there at first light for doves, so all this was after 1pm for me.

kgb

Yellow dog
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:27 pm  Reply with quote

Here in NJ, We hunt the Oct to Mar end of the calendar.
I have been wearing the same gear for almost 18 seasons.
Either a pair of Carhartt tan pants, or my new cabelas guide pants, covered with a pair of well used Filson waxed chaps.
I was always a believer in a denim or chambray shirt, till last year the Mrs. got me a tan and Blaze one to replace my tattered one. If it a bit nip, I'll wear my old standby Blaze Zippered hood sweatshirt over top.
A Filson Blaze and waxed tan suspender vest.
Blaze crusher hat in rainy weather, otherwize a Filson cap that was my fathers first.
Boots; well I finally wore out my Herman suvivors about 5 years ago, so I parted with some greenbacks and got a pair od Cabela's featherweight upland boots...I'll be wearing these out also......

Been looking into a Waxed vest over at Cabelas, got leather pockets that won't get torn up by the Jersey Brambles.....might be a good investment.....

Last edited by Yellow dog on Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

16's
Stevens 530a single trigger.
Browning BPS special field.
Winchester 12.
budrichard
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:47 am  Reply with quote

Filson for all bird hunting from doves to Canadas.-Dick