16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  West TX Dove Hunt
mod11rem
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:42 pm  Reply with quote

Hey guys, I've been busy lately so havent' been on the board much. Got to experience West TX opening day dove hunt last week. I went in the morning and afternoon on opening day. It was awsum. Plenty of birds all over the place. Hunted with two other guys that day and we all limited out both times. Next day with a large party of about 20. several of us limited out but had to work at it a little due to rain off and on and wind.

Of course, I was the only one there shooting a 16 (it was the Browning Sweet 16 I picked up in MO in July) and it was the first time I had used it. Of course, being brought up on Mod 11's, it was nothing new to me and performed perfectly (It's 28" mod plain barrel). My 1 oz 9's hand loads were great the first day, but the second day with a 20-30 mph wind, I needed a little more reach and I shot up the rest of those XXXX in 7.5's. I got a few sideways glances both days with my 16 but when we counted up the birds, I did as well as any body else. When I counted up shells shot, I averaged 2 boxes per limit on all three outings (6 boxes total) and all the others shooting 12's and 20's had shot at least a flat apiece. That's when they all said, "let me look at that smoke pole of yours".

I was reading about brdhnt's nightmare trip with the obnoxious kid. On the second, three brothers in the party (watermelon shipper buddies of mine) had two boys each with them ranging from 9-14. The three older boys hunted by themselves and the three younger ones stayed right with their dads. All were polite, well behaved and very well schooled in gun safety. The youngest (9) was shooting a very sawed off 20 ga. mod 870 and he skunked his brother and cousins coming out of the field with 13 (limit is 15). He didn't brag, but he and his dad were proud of that. I was so enamored with him and his enthusiasm that I took his dad aside and after a short discussion, we made a deal on that 870 16 ga that I had bought around last Christmas. It had been shortened to a 13" LOP (too short for me) but is just perfect for this up and coming bird buster. This one is near mint, 28" mod w/ vent rib. I wanted to let the kid have it right then, but dad slipped it in a case and into his tool box, declaring that part of his Christmas shopping was done. I let him have it for exactly what I had in it (cash of course) and felt very satisfied that I have started yet another 16 ga admirer on a lifetime of hunting pleasure. I've been waiting for just the right time to unload that 870 and believe I found the perfect place for it.

So not all trips with kids are bad. This one was great. But all these boys were well schooled and just plain polite. This Doc's kid needs a swift kick in the pants about behaving and I wouldn't let the little bastard ever go hunting with me again (especially if he doesn't know better than to blame someone elses dog for something).

Speaking of kids, this was the first dove hunt in 10 years that I've missed with my son. He's off at college and had his first performance with the Marching Razorback Band on opening day weekend. So, I got to hunt with these guys and their sons and had a great hunt anyway. We'll make it up in the duck blind over Christmas break, I hope.

mod11rem
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:47 pm  Reply with quote

the XXXX in my first post stands for "Rio's". Couldn't remember that right off. It's not Altheimers, just sometimers.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:43 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing, Mod11. Sounds like some great hunts. And good to hear about a positive experience with the young ones. That's really cool that you found such a good home for the 870.
Highcountry
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:00 pm  Reply with quote

mod11rem, congratulations on the outstanding gesture to get that young boy started on the right foot with a nice 16ga. Very Happy

Those kids are the future of hunting.