16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Arizona dove hunt
Haiwee
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:29 am  Reply with quote

Just got back, and boy, the hunting was awesome. Limits every day, usually in 45 minutes or less. We would spend the rest of the day lounging around the pool imbibing our favorite adult beverages and playing cards.

My 16 year-old nephew made the trip for his first hunt. He'd actually never even handled a shotgun before, but he had successfully completed his hunter safety courses. He's a good kid; he was safe and courteous, never complained about the heat or the afternoon boredom, and didn't get too frustrated when he found the zig-zagging buggers hard to hit. And he improved as the week went on -- by the fourth day he managed to knock down eight birds before it got too hot to hunt. He's already making plans to join us for quail, the pheasant opener, and a return trip to Arizona after Christmas for waterfowl. I think I've hooked another one!

I think it's really important to pass our hunting heritage on to future generations. My five year-old is already making noise about wanting to join daddy on his trips -- I think in a couple of years I'll bring him along as an extra bird dog so he can begin to learn what it's all about. I can't wait.