16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Hello. my name is birdshot and I'm a.......
offhand35
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:09 pm  Reply with quote

In regard to the mention of 16ga slugs.....I have 2 customized 16ga slug guns......one, a Mossberg model 190, has a 20" cyl choked bbl, the other is a Winchester model 12, marked FULL, opened to modified.

The Winchester w/ mod choke shoots Remington 16ga rifled slugs in 2-3" groups at 100yds. The Mossberg shoots 3-4" groups at 50yds.

On the box, Remington mentions that a modified choke may work best.

Highcountry
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:19 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome Birdshot! If you find that the mod choke is a little tight then having a good smith open it to improved would be the ticket and very cost effective as well.

Hc

JesseJames
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:38 pm  Reply with quote

I bought a case of Rem game loads based on what iread here about their reloadability, have never reloaded but with my new old 16 i have a feelin I will be. I noticed someone mentioned an IC barrel for slugs, I've never shot slugs but they sure would do a great deal better than buckshot out of an IC . So I guess I'm asking if IC is a good choice for shooting slugs? I don't shoot at a lot of deer so maybe I'm safe. any info is appreciated.
thanks Jesse
birdshot
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:41 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help so far. The 2 cases of shells came in ok a few days back. Great! Thanks nossman for that tip! Meanwhile, my computer got clogging of the interstellar molecular ions so I had the local computer guy re-do everything so I can learn computer mostly from scratch again. (a gun guy would not do that to you!). Now I can get back to this thread. The gun came in yesterday, and is walnut stocked, checkered plainly, all in all about 95%. Exactly like my uncle's. I stripped it down, cleaned and lightly lubed it. Its a Ward's Western Field Model 60-SB620-A., no serial number, or I can't find it, 28" barrel, Modified, clearly not fired much, maybe 3 or 4 boxes, no field debris in the action. The pad is one of the red cushion types, with a black spacer, giving a 13 3/4" pull, but it is hard and I will have it replaced after I shoot it a bit. Dove season opened here just before I received the new gun, but I plan to shoot it friday on doves. Does anyone have any good data on when the gun was produced, or advice on a premium field pad to look at in Brownells. Thanks again, birdshot Very Happy