16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Follow up - "Should I be using this 16 ga. shotgun&quo
milow2625
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:48 pm  Reply with quote

Hi All,

I Just wanted to get back to everyone after my first day out with my Winchester M-12 16ga. After purchasing the shotgun from the previously owned rack at a large sporting goods store in Central Texas, I eagerly got home, dug into the web hungry for as much information as I could find about my first shotgun. That way my first day on 16 ga.com.

I learned the following as a result from that post - asking the question on 16 ga.com turned out to be a great thing to do:

* I learned the shotgun I picked out (of thin air) was built in 1915. It felt good in my hands, I liked the way it zeroed in on the ceiling tiles at the sporting goods store, it was a 16 ga. which was intriguing and I thought a good idea because I could shoot ducks to doves with it. I had no idea this gun was that old.

* I learned the steps to field stripping the shotgun, I got tips on what I should and shouldn't do when cleaning the shotgun. Early on when I was trying to identify what, exactly, I had purchased, I learned the way to properly measure the barrel.

* I learned a little regarding different chokes that can be used for different situations. My shotgun, having a full choke affects the pattern and distance the shot will expand when shot at a target. I got good information about size of shot and different game loads.

* I learned that my shotgun shot 2.5" 16 ga. shells as opposed to standard 2.75" 16 ga. shells. (before I went and got the wrong shells off the shelf) This turned out to be sort of a bummer at first - in that I couldn't just walk into the neighborhood ammo store and pull these off the shelf. Buy, I learned that 2.5" is actually 65 mm. and is still pretty common in Europe. Gamebore made the shells I used on Monday - they were #6 field loads.

* Someone provided me about 5 links to companies that make appropriate shells for my shotgun, I can purchase shells online and there seems to be enough competition to keep the prices from being too expensive (well, that is relative)

* I learned some good information on how to protect the value of my classic 16 ga. shotgun and not do stupid things to de-value a classic piece.

* I learned that 16ga'ers sort of get the cold shoulder from the shotgunning community. It's either 12 ga or 20 ga., .410 is cool but 16 ga. just doesn't seem to get the respect that it should. I have also learned that people who know their shotguns love 16 ga.'s - you can add me to that crowd Wink

I was able to get out to an in-laws land over labor day, as we drove up, the dove were a flying. I was the only one with a valid license and bagged 6. I got a dove on my first shot with the M-12 and it felt like I had been shooting it for years. I was delighted by the action and functioning of this shotgun and it's easy to see why it has stood the test of time. I picked up one of those cheap, rubber, slip-on recoil pads. It was all I needed. I shot 45 - 60 shells and I wanted more. Fired like a dream. I carried it around all day. I got with my father-in-law, brother-in-law, and his dad and put on a shooting display with the clays. I felt like a sand-bagger in golf and I wasn't holding back Wink

I did get a chance to shoot my father-in-law's 20 ga. automatic, and it beat the crap out of my shoulder and felt about twice as heavy as my 16. s. I shot it twice, let him shoot a couple with my 16 ga, then I made sure to get it back quickly.

I will now break out my cleaning gear and give her the respect she deserves. Thanks to everyone for your tips and your welcoming into the 16 ga. community

Good Hunting,

Milow - Austin Texas
milow2625
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:19 pm  Reply with quote

Following up from previous response - Here are a few good sites for 2.5 " shells:

Eley Shot Shells:
http://www.eleyshotshells.com/

Wesley Richards:
http://www.westleyrichards.com/gun/ammo_intro.html
- Good customer support

Cabela's in Buda Tx. carries Gamebore 16 ga. 2.5" game loads - I shot 60 of em over Labor day with my Winchester M-12 without issue

Good Hunting,

ML
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:19 pm  Reply with quote

Milow: Sorry for all the bad advice you got on your gun. Crying or Very sad

I will take it off your hands AND pay the shipping!

That's the kind of guy's we are here! Wink

Matt