16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Sub For Rem SP-16 Wad
gjw
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

Hi all, I was wondering if the Z-16 wad can sub for the Rem wad? What difference will I see in pressure if the Z-16 is a valid sub.

BTW, the pressure for the load is 9200psi with the Rem wad.

Thanks so much!

Greg
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:40 am  Reply with quote

Let me pull my ACME shotshell pressure test rig out of my back pocket....... Laughing

Honestly, there is no way of knowing what the difference in pressure might be.

The problem with some of your questions, is that you really aren't giving us a lot of information. On one of the last threads your issue ended up being a misadjusted reloader, when you were asking questions about the wad being incorrect.

Gotta be honest I am a little hesitant on answering, because of your lack of experience and your lack of information about what you are really trying to accomplish.

Kinda like what we used to say about computers, junk in, junk out.

gjw
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:31 am  Reply with quote

HI Mark, I understand were your coming from. I'm pretty new to this as you jolly well know. I'm trying to get a handle on this and counting on folks like you who have a a vast amount of practical experience. There are so many variables with reloading that's way I'm asking what seem to be general or perhaps in some cases silly questions I've been looking at a couple spreadsheets (spr210's) and have found a few recipes that would fit what I need. But I'm limited to some of the components. Powder being the major one. I guess I'll muddle thru and try not to sub , but thoght I'd ask.

I do want to thank you for all your help in the past. I've learned alot and hope to learn more.

Thanks and all the best!

Greg
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:35 am  Reply with quote

Greg, you cannot substitute those wads. They are very, very different and not remotely candidates for substitution. You just need to ride out this powder shortage and not get too involved with load development until you have the correct components.
gjw
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:38 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
Greg, you cannot substitute those wads. They are very, very different and not remotely candidates for substitution. You just need to ride out this powder shortage and not get too involved with load development until you have the correct components.

Thanks! Good advise!

Best!

Greg
jschultz
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:48 am  Reply with quote

Greg, If you don't already have a Lyman's 5th addition reloader's manual, treat yourself and buy one. I'm certain that that you can find quite a mix of wads, powder weights and payloads. Also, online reloading data is available from powder manufacturers. The bottom line with all reloading is not to mix components and by components I include shot and powder weights.
byrdog
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:54 am  Reply with quote

If you are really jonesin for a specific powder Grafs catalog says that if you order what you want from them they will have it in a month. The problem is demand. So if you back-order your favorite you can get it just have to be patient.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
Jim Atlas
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:50 am  Reply with quote

If powder is the limiting factor, buy the correct wad. SP16's aren't hard to come by right?
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:12 pm  Reply with quote

Remington SP16 wads (and the R16) have smaller outside diameters than any other of today's existing 16 ga wads. These two wads were designed for use in Remington hulls which have smaller inside diameters than any of today's other 16 gauge hulls. In fact, the larger diameter European wads like the Z wads are somewhat tough to force into RGL hulls w/o stretching and occasionally splitting them.

So the short answer is no. The Z wad can't be substituted for an SP16 wad w/o the practical knowledge and experience needed to first safely modify the load recipe. This usually consists of lowering the weight of the powder charge or even selecting a slower burning one. That's where a well written loading manual becomes a useful guide. I suggest you get one and study it. Good luck.
Roadkill
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:04 pm  Reply with quote

Greg,
If you can't locate any SP16 wads, give me a shout. I have an almost-full bag left and I no longer use them. You can have them for the cost of shipping them.
Bill