16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Turkey hunting with your 16 gauge?
GaryO
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:58 am  Reply with quote

The only hunting shotgun I own is a Citori 16 ga. (2 3/4"). What chokes would you suggest? What ammo? Thanks...

NRA
zoli 16ga.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:07 am  Reply with quote

Patterned 16ga. #6 Rem Long Range Express loads with great success on a turkey head/neck pattern sheet. Full to fuller worked well out to 30 paces.

D.

byrdog
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:30 am  Reply with quote

I love the Hevishot #6 duck and pheasant. Mod choke. you will only need one round. so a box is good for 10 years.
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=10480_14626_11576_16378&sort=&filter_id=480

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
GaryO
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:56 am  Reply with quote

byrdog wrote:
I love the Hevishot #6 duck and pheasant. Mod choke. you will only need one round. so a box is good for 10 years.
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=10480_14626_11576_16378&sort=&filter_id=480

modified choke?

NRA
Gil S
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:18 am  Reply with quote

If you don't mind spending $$, in a commercial load, nothing beats Nitro Ammo's 16 gauge load.
jschultz
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:33 am  Reply with quote

GaryO wrote, "The only hunting shotgun I own is a Citori 16 ga. (2 3/4"). What chokes would you suggest? What ammo? Thanks…"

Here is what I did. I first determine what my patterns looked like with individual loads at the distances I intended to shoot. After I understood which load/choke combo best suited my needs, i used existing old hay bales and reconfigured them into a blind.
My choice of loads was 1 1/8 oz. of #7 high antimony shot out of mod and full barrels.
I put out natural grass clump and tree branches in front of the blind marking off a 30 yard perimeter. My first shot was deadly and the turkey barely twitched.
byrdog
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:08 pm  Reply with quote

GaryO

Hevishot likes open chokes. When I shoot Geese I shoot a 10ga cyl choke
My experience with 16ga and Hevishot is that mod is to tight for flying birds is produces Xtra full patterns which is great for those on the ground shots. I tried using Hevishot 7.5's out of an improved cyl for grouse -no good- pattern to tight for the woods,killer in the open or over water.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
Gil S
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:23 pm  Reply with quote

Smaller sized Hevi-shot performs fine in super tight turkey chokes. If using hevi-shot, #7 would be an optimum balance of pattern and penetration at ethical ranges. Otherwise, one can run out of pattern before penetration with larger shot. Lead works, too, but at closer ranges. Ideally, for head and neck, at whatever distance one can place 100 pellets inside the center 10" ring, that's the optimum range. For some loads it may be 30 yards, other loads and choke combinations, 40 yards. You have to spend time at the pattern board to determine your best range.
ksfolwer166
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:46 pm  Reply with quote

Some may disagree with my methods but what I look for is a load/choke combo that will give 3-5 pellets in the brain/spinal cord area of a turkey target. I also look for a load that will deliver 1.25 inches of gel penetration at the yardage I want. On average #8 lead =30 yards, #7 1/2 =35, #7 =40, #6 = 50, #5 =65, and #4 =80 going at 1200fps. This last spring I patterned my 28ga and was able to achieve acceptible patterns and penetration out to 30 yards with 3/4oz #7 1/2 and a extra full choke. Though I was not able to bag a turkey with it. The ideal load/choke I think would be improved cylinder/ 1oz #8 for close shots and full/ 1oz-1 1/4oz #7 for longer shots.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:02 pm  Reply with quote

ksfolwer166 wrote:
Some may disagree with my methods but what I look for is a load/choke combo that will give 3-5 pellets in the brain/spinal cord area of a turkey target. I also look for a load that will deliver 1.25 inches of gel penetration at the yardage I want. On average #8 lead =30 yards, #7 1/2 =35, #7 =40, #6 = 50, #5 =65, and #4 =80 going at 1200fps. This last spring I patterned my 28ga and was able to achieve acceptible patterns and penetration out to 30 yards with 3/4oz #7 1/2 and a extra full choke. Though I was not able to bag a turkey with it. The ideal load/choke I think would be improved cylinder/ 1oz #8 for close shots and full/ 1oz-1 1/4oz #7 for longer shots.

It appears you've worked out an excellent system by considering expected range, pattern density, target size, and penetration. In truth it might work well if you can get the birds to cooperate. The problem is they usually won't.

When it comes to hunting, and after experiencing my share of tragically poor hunts due to not being able to anticipate the realities of the situation presented at the time (not being well prepared Laughing), I've learned it is always best to prepare for the worse, hope for the best, and deal with what comes as best I can.

Therefore, I strongly suggest to OP to develop a handload or choose a commercial one that will do the job at the furthest range he can accurately hit a turkey in the noggin and kill it cleanly. Then it would be prudent not to shoot at any bird beyond that point.

I'm no expert here either, but it seems to me a fast, 1-1/8 oz. load of #6 shot might do the job out to 35 yards or so if the selected chokes will keep the patterns nice and snug. I would not plan on head shooting any birds beyond that range though. I know my limits.

I once, by pure happenstance, took a young fall season jake with a 28 ga 3/4 ounce, #7.5 grouse load at fairly short range while hunting grouse and timberdoodle through some of our southeastern, MA swampy hardwood cover which still holds those birds. My Heidi dog surprised a small flock of turkeys, which began running down a path and flush/vaulting over the trunk of a rather large downed tree which blocked their escape. I caught the last bird over square in the noggin as it half leaped and half flushed to clear the trunk. The shot was purely an instinctive move, mount, shoot wing shot which was anything but precisely aimed. Regardless or whether I would call it blind luck or good shooting, the load did it's job, and the bird dropped, flopped around for a few seconds as head shot birds will, and died.

Both the dog and I were as surprised as hell at the outcome. She did not know quite what to do at first and looked back at me quizzically for a few seconds. Then she tied into the jake as if it were one helluva big pheasant. I had to laugh at her antics as she tried to lift it clear and lug it back to me (after giving it her usual toothy coupe de gras). However, I'd have never planned to hunt these big birds with a 28 and 3/4 ounce loads. I prefer a 12, but that's just me. I believe a 16 should do okay as well at moderate ranges as long as the selected load and chokes are up to the task. I wish the OP great good luck as well.