16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Need help with Rem 1148 friction ring set up
garvfam
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:54 pm  Reply with quote

I recently got my son (13 yr old) a Remington 1148 in 16ga,
He loves it and wants to use it for everything.
Soooooo, we decided it needed multiple chokes. I wanted to send it to Briley... He wanted a Polychoke. So off to polychoke the barrel went. They took off 2' and installed a new polychoke (non vented). It patterns great. However it will not extract my low pressure reloads (for my old Fox SXS)
And it will not eject Win low brass #8's but it will cycle fine with Win low brass #6's ??????

It has a brass friction ring and a steel ring (un cut) that is marked -> up for light loads, and <-up for heavy loads (both sides of the ring are bevelled) that will not slide over the brass friction piece. It also has a beveled ring (unmarked) at the base of the spring closest to the receiver.
Does anyone know the exact way these three rings are installed for light loads !

skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:25 pm  Reply with quote

First question, did this gun cycle this ammo before you sent it off
for the choke?

http://stevespages.com/pdf/remington_1148.pdf

Mike

p.s. sounds like the old Rem 11 system, Some of the earlies 11-48 had an older system before the recoil compensating system

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqzYQgccOU8

http://www.browning.com/customerservice/qna/detail.asp?ID=105

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/286702-remington-model-48-sportsman.html

Last edited by skeettx on Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:00 pm  Reply with quote

OK, re-read your post

Here are the parts orientation,

1. ring not marked, bevel down towards the receiver,
2. recoil spring,
3. marked ring as shown up for light loads,
4. friction ring,
5. barrel,
6. forend,
7. nut.

Remington manual says the use of a LITTLE oil is ok to aid in functioning if the barrel has an adjustable choke (see above)

Mike

putz463
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:29 am  Reply with quote

All good sound info so far, did you or was the gun toughly cleaned when you purchased it? These guns (recoil cycling) are a little finicky to gunk build up, cleaning all moving parts w/mineral spirits or paint thinner (essentially the same) then lightly coating with a decent gun oil usually is all that's needed when they develop a picky diet.

Best of luck with the gun, I think the 48's are great field autos and knowing your son "wants to use it for everything" is great stuff.

garvfam
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:45 am  Reply with quote

Thanks you VERY much guys,
One stupid question though regarding the ring marked with the arrow for light loads/heavy loads. For light loads is the arrow pointed away from the reciever or towards it ?
And Yes, it is cool that he loves the gun. He is kind of and old soul kid. Hes quiet and doesnt want for much. Been trying (offering) to buy him a new gun for a while since he grew outta his youth 20ga SXS. Offered to buy anything he wanted... no luck. Until a friend of mine (that he looks up to) offered him the 16 ga 1148. Another friend has a mosseberg with a polychoke. He knows what he wants when he see's it.
He loves it and wants to shoot clays, hunt quail, pheasants, and turkeys with it.
He will own this forever...
Thanks again !

garvfam
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:47 am  Reply with quote

Oh yeah.... we watched a you tube video on how to take it down.
He did and cleaned it and lightly oiled it, and waxed the wood.

fourtrax
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:29 am  Reply with quote

The Remington website has good info on their older products. I went on their site & found a "brochure" in a PDF file for take down instructions, assembly,
cleaning, & a parts blow up for the Remmie Sportsman 58 I recently bought.
Once you find it, you can print it out for future reference. Might be good practice for a youngster to break down & reassemble the pc.