16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Hull lifespan
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:50 am  Reply with quote

goathoof wrote:
Has anyone taken the time to note if they have an effective sporting or hunting reload that they have found maximizes the hull life?

Nope. Cause I load different recipes for different uses.

I will say, and this is a sweeping generality, that faster, heavier hunting payloads wear out the crimp area faster than light target loads. I use Longshot powder for hunting and GreenDot for targets.

I have to pay to shoot pheasants as they are all put-n-take around here so I always use factory loads. Then those hulls get used for grouse or crow loads. As their crimp areas wear they get reloaded for dove or claybird loads. I think 6 point crimp hulls last longer than 8 point.

If I'm really feeling miserly, I'll cut the hull down from 2 3/4" to 2 1/2" thus removing the damaged crimp area and reload a few more times. By that time I feel I've gotten my $$$ worth out of them and they get tossed in the recycling bin.

~10 years ago I bought cases of Rem Game Loads when my local Dick's Sporting Goods had a special sale. The plastic in those black hulls is not as brittle as the new RGL's and offers more reloads. So, it's not just the components inside the hull that counts to greater reloading longevity, it's the hull itself.

ksfolwer166
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:18 am  Reply with quote

Dogchaser37 wrote:
Oh yeah I forgot the brass hull guys, the hulls are not very practical except for low volume stuff in break actions and the guys who reload them have way too much time on their hands.

I'd fall asleep of boredom after reloading the first 2!! Very Happy

If I remember correctly JSchultz averages around 30 seconds to reload 1 hull while lats time I checked I averaged 34 second per shells on my Mec Sizemaster. All you guys are probably using progressives though. Also you can shoot brass hulls out of pumps and I believe RMC says even semi autos.
jschultz
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:47 am  Reply with quote

ksfowler, Mark was pulling my leg when he wrote that because he knows that I’m an avid supporter of RMC brass hulls.
After a day of hunting (not dove) I often have less than 6 shells to reload, which is not a lot. I de-prime and prime all of the hulls that I plan on reloading and use home-made powder dippers to expedite the loading process. To fix the OSC in the field I use instant glue and at home it doesn't matter how fast the glue dries.
Yes, brass hulls can be shot in auto’s and pumps, but in doing so you run the risk of loosing or damaging the hull. On one occasion and in the heat of the flushes, I had two Huns down and Annie was still on point. I broke my SxS and failed to catch the ejecting shells, I reloaded and shot the next Hun that flushed. I spent a long time looking for my $5 a pop RMC hulls and only found one. I was whining to Dave Casey about loosing a hull and he made me a replacement at no cost. RMC hulls are not for everyone, but for hunting applications using a break action gun, I know of no better hull.
Have I mentioned the outstanding pattern? Laughing Laughing
ksfolwer166
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:36 pm  Reply with quote

More than once and on multiple forums. Laughing
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:29 pm  Reply with quote

You are correct jschultz, someday I will use the suggestions you gave me and reload a few of those brass hulls and go hunting with them. I bet they will work perfectly in my Citori.

jschultz
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:39 pm  Reply with quote

Mark, when you do, make sure that you pattern a few because I don't want you to miss out on the miracle. Very Happy