16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Field & Stream 16 Gauge Article and Plug
jtw1952
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:40 am  Reply with quote

Just saw an article posted today by Phil Bourjaily on Field & Stream at http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/the-gun-nuts/why-is-the-16-gauge-dying?src=SOC&dom=fb

He has a nice plug for 16ga.com

Jeff
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:10 pm  Reply with quote

Too many folks are misled by so called authors,writers and "gun experts" that the 16 is either dead,forgotten or useless that is has gotten a bum wrap.Nice to see a good article once in awhile Cool Very Happy
Leicadave
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:37 am  Reply with quote

16 seems to be just the right one for those of us who like the history and the challenge of getting the gun and the load matched to the game.

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Theodore Roosevelt
jschultz
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:47 am  Reply with quote

During my formative shotgun years, I believed bigger was better, the more shot in the air and the tighter the pattern was the only way to go. Now, my SxS 16 GA is perfect for all upland hunting with payloads ranging from 3/4, 7/8, 1, and 1 1/8 oz. Notice I didn't include 1 1/4 oz. because my pattern board tells me it is unnecessary.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:21 am  Reply with quote

I've read that same article about 50 times by 50 different writers. In the end he basically says a light 12 will do everything a 16 will do and more, and weigh the same or less, so why bother with a 16? It's like the old saying...if I have to 'splain it to you you'll never understand.

As an aside, I'm reading a book by Phil and his father Vance called Fishing by Mail, letters between the two about their fishing experiences. Witty, humorous and entertaining.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:34 am  Reply with quote

I've never seen a 20 that would do the job that a 16 does. I have, however, seen some 12s that might. Ever handle or shoot an English 2-inch gun?
jschultz
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:43 am  Reply with quote

Lloyd3 wrote:
I've never seen a 20 that would do the job that a 16 does. I have, however, seen some 12s that might. Ever handle or shoot an English 2-inch gun?

Loyd3, I agree with your 20 vs comment, but to my eye, there is nothing more attractive than the profile of a 16 GA side lock with a straight grip and a splinter forearm. My opinion an English 12 GA profile is clubby looking, even though they handle great.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:31 pm  Reply with quote

I've never held a light 12 that still didn't still feel like a 12 in my hands. A light 16 however, is just perfect.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:11 pm  Reply with quote

2 inch 12, 28 tubes, 14 3/4 LOP, 5lbs5. Clubby?

[URL=http://s135.photobucket.com/user/lamiii/media/2inch12.jpg.html] [/URL]
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:21 pm  Reply with quote

2 inch 12 over a Scottish 16. The little Scotty weighs in a 6lbs even. The 12 is more than half a pound lighter and has longer tubes (by one inch).

[URL=http://s135.photobucket.com/user/lamiii/media/2-inchvrs16.jpg.html] [/URL]
tramroad28
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:27 pm  Reply with quote

Every English 2" 12, be it an H&H or a Grant or whatever, carries all the panache of the maker's name and tho often designed for folks of smaller stature, I would expect the dimensions would favor those with larger hands.
If 7/8 ounce is a goal then the 2" 12 would appear to make a dandy choice, especially for a woodcock scattergun.
Moreso than a 16 or smaller, imo....for the reference bulk of the barrels against an alder background alone.

Beyond that, the proportions of a well-struck 16 is often a bit more esthetically pleasing to the eye of many beholders than a 12 of any hidden chamber length.

Lightweight, itself, is routinely overrated in an upland scattergun.
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:04 pm  Reply with quote

Tramroad: This particular gun isn't only light, it is quite dynamic as well. "Unbelieveable" is the word I hear most commonly used in it's presence. I just wanted to help dispell the notion that these guns were "clubby" and/or poorly proportioned.
JonP
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:29 pm  Reply with quote

So I have to shoot a 2" gun to get a lively 12 gauge? Why not shoot a 28 if you want to shoot 7/8oz? Laughing

If you look at the number of used 16 gauge guns being sold in the Euro markets, its pretty clear that the 16 gauge was, at one time, a "go to" game gun. I suspect that the competitive shooting sports did more than anything else to suppress the 16 gauge. That and the marketing advantage that "bigger is better".
tramroad28
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:49 am  Reply with quote

Lloyd3 wrote:
Tramroad: This particular gun isn't only light, it is quite dynamic as well. "Unbelieveable" is the word I hear most commonly used in it's presence. I just wanted to help dispell the notion that these guns were "clubby" and/or poorly proportioned.

Each of those pictured, appear to be very, very nice scatterguns.

I certainly would not say that every 12 gauge I have seen is clubby and certainly not poorly proportioned.
I would say that there is only so much that can be done with file and rasp...and, as lightweight is overrated, so I believe are all the particulars of any gun beyond those at which the owner personally enjoys looking....or, actually, seeing.
That is as it should be.

I have found that "dynamic" is often a word used to describe a shotgun while around a coffee table or skeet field....for field use, I have found that dynamic is a word that can quickly lose it's bloom when faced with the reality of swatting stuff with feathers.

But, that is just me....I see little of a plus in "dynamic"....be it a 12 or a 16 gauge.
I do see a great positive in your enjoyment of your scatterguns.
And, there lies an important point for all of us to consider keeping in mind...we shoot best those guns in which we have discovered some special...something.
That something may be definable by inches, ounces or balance points...or it may only be realized by the feeling received when seeing the gun backed against pill bottle aspen or held over a waving field of wild grass on a freshening Canaan-type day as a favored pup does their thing.
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:36 am  Reply with quote

Lively loses is luster pretty quick in my hands when the angles, distance and speed ramp up. Sure feel great tho.

I think there's a lot to ergonomics and weight distribution.