16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Opinions Wanted ....Rem 1100..16ga.
Rabbitdog
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:18 am  Reply with quote

If there was ever a place to go to get opinions it's here! I have been offered a new in the box Remmington 1100 , 16 ga. by a Lodge brother
who is allowing the U. S. Army to change his address. It is a quick sale
for cash and the price reflects it.
I don't have any experience with the new Remmington 1100's. Especially the
16 ga.

What can "You'all" tell me about them ?

Thanks.......Rabbitdog.
Foursquare
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:34 am  Reply with quote

When they were re-introduced a few yrs ago, the 16 ga 1100s were met with a large collective yawn. The reason, they're built on the same frame, and weigh the same as a 12.

That being said, they make a good clay target gun. And with the Rem chokes and steel safe bores, they'd be a good choice for the duck blind.
But, at 7 1/4 lbs, not my idea of an upland gun.

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:44 pm  Reply with quote

I bought one. Fired it about 20 times. Sold it. For a loss.

It was heavy. I couldn't hit claybirds. I didn't like the clunkety-clunk action sound. I reload. How was I ever gonna find those black Rem game load shells? I won't miss it at all.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:48 pm  Reply with quote

Rabbitdog: You didn't specifically mention what the "quick sale" price was, and that would certainly have a bearing on my advice. If a guy wanted to shoot skeet or trap with a 16 gauge and use the choke tubes, I think the 1100 would soak up the recoil just fine. It IS a heavy gun to drag around through the multiflora rose, the horseweeds or the canarygrass for wild birds; you'd want something handier if you need a gun solely for that.

It would certainly work for ducks or turkeys too; not a lot of moving around there unless you jump-shoot the ducks like I do. Bottom line: if it feels good when YOU handle it, and the price is right, then depending on what you'll use it for, you may want to give it serious consideration.

hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:24 pm  Reply with quote

I ended up with one of the first production models----LEMON--sent it back twice--fianally have a nice shooter----I especially like using this for shooting factory shells as it tames them to an acceptable level.This gun is used for all the clay games and upland hunting---Never reasoned why they used a 12 frame????
87016ga
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:42 am  Reply with quote

when the 1100 was re-introed, i was wetting my pants over having a twin for my 2003 wingmaster. but even i couldn't warm to the excessive weight it is carrying around.
having said that, i have used 1100's for a couple of decades now at skeet,trap and 5-stand, and love them for that purpose.
my favorite skeet gun hands down is an 1100 20ga. so depending on what you are using it for and the price, you should get a lot of good service out of it.

hoa:
what problems did you have with your "lemon"?
Dongotto
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:59 am  Reply with quote

I think you would be much happier in the long run to put some more money together and try to pick up a Browning sweet sixteen. You can find a good shooter for $800. Thats not much more than a 1100 and down the road it will be worth a lot more, plus it is a much cooler gun in my opionion.

Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:56 am  Reply with quote

Caution, strong opinions ahead...

Why would anyone buy a 12 ga gun with a 16 ga barrel on it?

All you accomplish is to give up the ready access to a wide variety of cheap 12 ga ammunition and you get nothing for it in return.

If you want an autoloader in 16 ga, an A5 in Sweet Sixteen (or standard) has it all. Is is scaled to 16 ga dimensions, the hand fitting of parts was exceptional, the engraving was hand cut, it handles wonderfully and it's a classic design that will only go up in value.

The only question is whether or not the humpback design appeals to you in appearance and shootability. It's not for everybody but.....

I find it very shootable as the receiver gives a longer sighting plane and the humped breech is really about the same size as the breech of a small bore side by side.

Damnable soapbox, can't help myself!

Jeff
brdhnt
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:52 am  Reply with quote

The 16 gauge 1100 is actually six-eight ounces heavier then the 12 gauge 1100. I had a chance to weigh some 1100 16's and some 1100 Sporting 12's. Four eight guns (four of each) the average weight for the Sporting 12's were seven pounds one ounce. For the 16 gauge 1100's, they were seven pounds seven ounces.

I agree for shooting clay target games with a 16, the 1100 at a good price would be O.K. For a hunting gun, unless you like heavy guns, it would be worth a pass.

TMB
________
ROLL BLUNTS

Last edited by brdhnt on Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
tjwalker
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:45 pm  Reply with quote

Sent you a PM. I like 1100s and 16 gauges, and yes it may be heavier. Shoot it and see how well you like it. If it's a bargain, so much the better.