16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Armburst Load Test Result
fn16ga
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:47 pm  Reply with quote

I know that PB and SR7625 will be discontinued , but as I plan to use them for hunting only , I have enough of both to last for some time.

The 2 PB loads were something I loaded for a friend of mine one day , he was looking for something low pressure and around 1100 fps . Looks like I hit that perfectly . They broke clays and patterned so good , I decided to have them tested .

The Green dot loads didn't work out quit like I was hoping for , but gave me a good starting point , I think I can tweek them to get what I need . Which is pressure around 7000psi or below and close to 1150 fps. For use in my Damascus barreled guns.

The 19.5 gr Sr 7625 load is nothing really new but , I haven't seen this exact load using the Fed 209a primer , it will make a good dove , quail and snipe load to use in my Lefever and Wm Sumner .

I am super happy with the 1 1/8 Nice shot load , it will make a great duck load for my A5s and other modern guns. I was looking to get a max load , which worked well . I will probably drop it a grain or two to get it down to 1200-1250 fps and still have good pressure for cold weather .

Over all I am very happy with all the results .

Hope somebody else can use one or more of them.
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:15 pm  Reply with quote

THANK YOU for posting this
Mike

Hootch
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:45 am  Reply with quote

Good load with the Nice Shot. I will put that in my bank of loads.
scraggley
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:52 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the Nice Shot load.
Art

double vision
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:31 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for reporting.

Even the loads that don't quite work out give valuable data and it's important to report the findings. That's how we dial them in.
rdja
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:39 pm  Reply with quote

Why did you use Steel? It is a very difficult powder to meter. Alliant reccommends to hand weigh each load. I used it to reload some 12 ga Wingmster HD and it was a major pain to hand weigh each load for 200 loads.
I use Longshot for my 16ga 1 1/8 oz Nice shot and get 1250 fps and great patterns.
A load right off the spreadsheets
Plus it is easy to work with. Good info thanks for posting

How did your 3/4 oz Green dot loads burn? I use International, and use 17-19 grains for 3/4 and 7/8 loads. With the pressure in your tested loads, I am wondering if you had any residue or unburned powder? Intl is supposedly close to green dot and I had a few issues with unburned powder when I was using 14-15 gr.
Curious on your findings, what kind of gun do you use the light loads in?
fn16ga
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:53 pm  Reply with quote

rdja, To answer your first question , I have Steel powder on hand and had good luck with it in some buckshot loads before . I was using a Longshot load also but I'm out so I want to use up this Steel powder . as far as metering goes , I deprime and reprime my hulls and then load the Steel powder in my sizemaster with powder only , ( no shot in the shot bottle ) and just run the charge bar back an forth with no other movement on the loader , charge all my hulls , take the powder out and load the shot and finish loading . It,s a little slower but works quit well . I also use this same method with 800x . Besides if I use 50-75 nice shot loads a season I'll be lucky . So no big deal

I use the low pressure loads in my Lever FE and My Sumner Hammer gun . The Green dot Loads burn a lot cleaner than the International loads I have been using .

Last edited by fn16ga on Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:48 am; edited 2 times in total
3birddogs
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:40 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the info--those are loads I can really use in my Lefever G 16 and O frame Parker gh16--both Damascus.
Love the guns, especially the Lefever!

double vision
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:53 pm  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:

I use the low pressure loads in my Lever FE and My Sumner Hammer gun . The Green dot Loads burn a lot cleaner than the International loads I have been using .

FN, I had been using Int. Clays for a long time for my light loads, but with none on the shelves it's a good thing to switch to Green Dot. I see them as about the same.
rdja
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:49 pm  Reply with quote

I get using what you have on hand. I asked about the metering because when I used Steel in the 12 ga loads I mentioned, I would deprime, reprime, then drop powder from my mec jr. I set the adjustable charge bar to drop around 3-5 grains lighter than needed. After dropping powder I would weigh the powder and add powder gradually till I hit the goal. I found that if I did 5 total pulls on the handle with the same amount of force it was pretty consistent, but if I lost focus on pulling the handle it would be off by 1-1.5 grains. After 200 loads I got pretty good at being consistent.
I brought it up so others, maybe not as experienced would know to be extra careful with Steel. I have about 1/3 pound left so I might try that just to yes it up.
Good to hear those green dot loads perform so cleanly. I still gave about 4 lbs of Intl left, sobhopefullygreen dot will be available by then. And your load data looks great for light loads out of 6# gun.

Very cool guns too!
fn16ga
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:25 am  Reply with quote

I pattern the 1 1/8 oz nice shot load out of one of my A5,s with a Invector barrel with the Muller U2 choke and it was really good at 40 yards . I didn't count pellets but it was a very nice even pattern .
rdja
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:59 am  Reply with quote

I need to pattern my A5 with a Poly-choke, but used it last year to kill a small goose in early season using a Modified setting and #6 Nice Shot. Stone dead in the air at 30-35 yards. So I like that pattern regardless of what it looks like on paper.

I did pattern my Marlin 90 with Briley thin-walls using Full and Modified. Full was too tight until I got out to 40 yards but Modifed was very nice.
Like you I did not count pellets, but just looked at the pattern.