16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  One Cent Shipping on Herter's Shells at Cabelas
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:17 pm  Reply with quote

df wrote:
I bought 10 boxes of the Herters 16 ga #8, couple months ago. Shot some sporting clays and they worked excellent.
However, I am seeing a lot of splits in the crimps after 2-3 loadings.

Welcome to the world of 16 ga. reloading. Except for the very few Winchester compression formed hulls one may stumble across from time to time, there is no quality reloadable hull available for the 16. I've already got a loader and decent supply of hulls, so I'm going to live with the hassle for a while. But I am contemplating the following...if and when my Higgins AYA 16 ga. Model 100 gives up the ghost, I may be done with 16s.

I've got enough QUALITY 12, 20 and 28 ga. hulls to last a lifetime and even if not, they are still available and I believe will be for a long time into the future.

Never thought I'd say it, but my 16 ga. Model 12, with which I've had some success in competitions and killed many game birds, is going on the market sometime in the not too distant future in lieu of a 20 gauge or other guage for which decent hulls are available.

All that said, the AYA and Model 12 (as are many, many 16 ga. guns) sure are sweet to carry and shoot. I'm just somewhat tired of being a second class hull citizen. I do hope however, that the AYA lasts longer than me.