16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Strange Spreader Insert Question
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:18 am  Reply with quote

Okay guys, here's one for you.
How will a spreader insert effect the shot, if used with NO shot cup?
What I did was, I loaded a 16 gauge hull with 75 grns. (by volume) of Pyrodex. 1-.250" overpowder wad, 1 oz. lead shot. I was a little shy of filling the hull. So, instead of putting puffed wheat in, I put a 16 gauge spreader insert on top of the shot. Perfect 6 point crimp.
Next time I'll drop a Cheerio on top of the wad, before the shot. Wink
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:03 pm  Reply with quote

Dave,
I have a feeling that the shotgun barrels will have more infuence. The forcing cones and bore in an older shotgun may be smaller and seal better while allowing the shot pattern to be formed by the choke. The spreader would seem to me to work well in an even better pattern then with larger bores and longer forcing cones. Now with all this guessing, when will you give us the test results? What oldie will be the test source? This is something I had thought of trying with an old Beretta with a .726 bore and short forcing cones. The chokes are .035 and .038. I look forward to what you find out.
Best,
Ron
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:31 pm  Reply with quote

Ron, I've got a Parker choked .020" & .030" and a Baker choked .030" & .040" Not sure which one I'll test loads in. Yesterday. I loaded up some 12 gauge STS hulls, with 90 grn. Pyrodex (by volume) clay buster wad, 1 oz. lead shot. it filled the case just right, and crimped. These loads just crush the clay targets. I shot 2 rounds of skeet, low gun. Shoot a 19 and a 20. Which is good for me. It is just so cool shooting black powder. I'm going to be using B.P. on our grouse opener next weekend. These where all loaded through a MEC loader.
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:12 pm  Reply with quote

Dave ,
Those two will be great testers reguardless which one you select. I would think they have short forcing cones and tight bores. Have fun and keep us posted.
Best,
Ron
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:52 pm  Reply with quote

Dave, as long as the Polywad (I'm assuming) insert stem is held in place by the shot column on its way up the bore, it should work wad or no wad. In fact, it probably will work better since it will rbe released by the shot sooner than if a wad cup were used. However, your over powder wad needs to keep the gases from blowing by and upsetting the shot column while its in the bore. the tighter the shot holds the stem in place, the better the cap does its job.

Polywad inserts work by keeping the shot column from stringing out as it passes through the choke on its way out of the barrel. The column leaves the bore in a shorter, more compact ball like it does from a cylinder bore. The column will upset itself and spread faster as the pellets shove each other out of the way. Full chokes work by retarding the shot into a longer string which lets the shot draft along more in line with less spreading as it lines out toward the mark.

Full chokes work just the opposite of what most folks think. they do not compact the shot column into a tighter cluster like a ball, they string it out like an arrow. the folks at polywad knew this and put the knowledge to work. Smart folks.