16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Guys, Please Talk Me Out Of It!
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:12 am  Reply with quote

bmc wrote:
You have either clearly lost ur mind or have never used a bps.

I'm not exactly sure of what you mean by that, but I do know that I HAVE lost my mind. You guys have not been doing a very good job of talking me out of it. But, what I did was to reread my post carefully and really analyze it. Answering the question of why I wanted a 16 ga BPS was crucial. I could find no legitimate answer. But, lately I have been in a weird nostalgic mood. I just bought an old metal plaid lunch box like the one I had as a kid. I just bought a Sears 16 gauge bolt action, like the one I had as a kid. I am shaving with 60 year old Gillette double edge razors, I just bought an old brown canvas hunting coat and vest like my Dad and brother wore years ago.

So, here is what I concluded. I would like to have another 16 gauge shotgun, but maybe not a BPS. I then remembered my late brother (who just passed away a few months ago) George, and how I used to follow behind him on many pheasant hunts. He carried a Rem 11-48 that he bought new from a Federals Dept. Store. So, an epiphany! I could add a Rem 11-48 16 gauge to my nostalgia collection and be completely justified; and for a lot less money than a BPS.
xvigauge

skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:57 am  Reply with quote

Ain't love GRAND Embarassed

Baden Powell
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:19 am  Reply with quote

XVI, nostalgia means more to me, too, now that I am nearly Social Security age.
I'm even goofy enough to have bought Jodhpur-style trousers and knee boots to go with the Filson jacket and Stetson hat ...

Razz

An 11-48 would be a worthy 16, but there are so many good ones out there. By the way, I bought a full-length BPS when the 16s first came out, but found it too heavy. I'm hoping the neat little Upland feels much livelier.
fourtrax
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:00 am  Reply with quote

the gun is homeless & dumped in a store......
It needs a home & a tender to rub oil on it.

bmc
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:38 am  Reply with quote

XVIgauge wrote:
bmc wrote:
You have either clearly lost ur mind or have never used a bps.

I'm not exactly sure of what you mean by that, but I do know that I HAVE lost my mind. You guys have not been doing a very good job of talking me out of it. But, what I did was to reread my post carefully and really analyze it. Answering the question of why I wanted a 16 ga BPS was crucial. I could find no legitimate answer. But, lately I have been in a weird nostalgic mood. I just bought an old metal plaid lunch box like the one I had as a kid. I just bought a Sears 16 gauge bolt action, like the one I had as a kid. I am shaving with 60 year old Gillette double edge razors, I just bought an old brown canvas hunting coat and vest like my Dad and brother wore years ago.

So, here is what I concluded. I would like to have another 16 gauge shotgun, but maybe not a BPS. I then remembered my late brother (who just passed away a few months ago) George, and how I used to follow behind him on many pheasant hunts. He carried a Rem 11-48 that he bought new from a Federals Dept. Store. So, an epiphany! I could add a Rem 11-48 16 gauge to my nostalgia collection and be completely justified; and for a lot less money than a BPS.
xvigauge

This is a common theme among many right now. Some are called hipsters I sometimes call them urban lumberjacks. What ever you want to define this movement as, it is clearly happening.

Many in my close circle of friends feel similarly, and many of us enjoy some of the items you listed above. Heres the difference. Nostalgia simply for the sake of nostalgia is a mistake. There were many things our fathers or grandfathers used that worked, and those items need to be carefully curated and selected to be used once again. IMHO the BPS is not one of those items. Its old, its nostalgic, but its a POS. Its an aggravation to use, its an aggravation to take apart and clean, its overly complicated and it is not reliable. Im sure Im going to offend many with this comment, but in their hearts they know its true. I prefer the model 12. Now thats a nostalgic gun with a meaningful purpose in our modern life. It was beautifully made, carefully hand built, its simple, pure, it runs flawlessly, its easy to field clean and repair, and it works. It really works.

A few years ago I tried to implement a fountain pen into my field kit. I love fountain pens, I enjoy writing letters with them at my desk. I like looking at some of the old shafers with their 24k gold nibs. I made the mistake of thinking this pen would be suitable to field use. After a season of forcing this nostalgic idea to work, all that i was left with was a few shirts with ink spots in the pockets, a plethora of instances where i tried to use the pen in the field only to have it be dry. It was a fail. Some things just don't work, regardless of how nostalgic they are. To me the BPS is like the fountain pen.
gunflint charlie
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:55 pm  Reply with quote

bmc wrote:
Im sure Im going to offend many with this comment, but in their hearts they know its true.

I don't think there's anything nostalgic about the BPS. I've owned two, shot the snot out of the first (a 12 ga.) and it was 100% reliable. I've not shot my 16 ga. Upland as much, but its function has also been flawless.

It's more pathetic than offensive that you choose to state your judgement in over-the-top terms intended to "offend many". Really now, "in their hearts" you expect BPS users who've had fine service from their guns to substitute your POS judgement for their own experience? Ummm ... okay.

Jay
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:20 pm  Reply with quote

I think it should be remembered that XVIGauge asked "to be talked out of it".

If giving one's honest opinion of the gun is offensive, then the question should not have been asked.

Gotta side w/BMC on this one.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
gunflint charlie
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:07 pm  Reply with quote

Well, BMC characterized his post by saying "Im sure Im going to offend many with this comment". So far, no one has said they were offended.

I suppose breakdown and re-assembly of a BPS could be an aggravation if you're impatient. Re-assembly isn't intuitive, but you can easily find instructions on the internet. I deliberately took my time to learn the first time I did it, and re-assembly took maybe 10 - 15 minutes. After learning how and doing it a couple times, it only takes a few minutes. Slower than for a side-eject pump gun, but I'm not in that big a hurry.

I've never found using a BPS aggravating. The tang safety makes for seamless switching from double guns. Well, there IS a little non-intuitive trick for quickly loading a single shell direct to the chamber, which is good to learn for shooting trap or skeet. Much like the Ithaca 37.

Well ok, I guess this kind of stuff can be aggravating for some.

Jay

Last edited by gunflint charlie on Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:11 pm  Reply with quote

When I was a bit younger I had a 12ga bps and killed untold numbers of birds with that thing in the nastiest mud and saltwater marsh environments imaginable, before I learned about svelte 16 sxs's and pointing dogs. I don't understand how a bps can be viewed as unreliable, since they're built like tanks (and handle like them too), but we all have our different lenses to see things through. Speaking of lenses, I saw a near mint 16ga mod. 12 the other day at a shop for $450. It was missing a barrel, but it was a nice gun nonetheless. Cool

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Spoonbill82
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:13 am  Reply with quote

I like my BPS 16ga Upland for pheasant hunting.
There is always room for 1 more 16ga. Wink
Gil S
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:05 am  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan wrote:
. Speaking of lenses, I saw a near mint 16ga mod. 12 the other day at a shop for $450. It was missing a barrel, but it was a nice gun nonetheless. Cool
Missing a barrel? Would that make it NRA 50% ?Wink Gil
usafa71
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:38 am  Reply with quote

I have had my BPS Hunter with 28" barrel for quite a while, and find it works quite well in the Dove field and the occasional sporting clays outing. It does weigh just at 7#, which is OK since I bought it to shoot, not carry around all day. The few ounces extra weight are not a factor in dove hunting or sporting clays. At just past 66 years of age, if I can't carry the extra 6-8 oz from the truck to the dove field, or from the clays cart to the shooting stand, it will be time to give up the shooting.

If you want a light-weight pump to carry in the field for miles, the BPS is not for you. But if you want a 16 ga pump to shoot forever, with great reliability, and pass on to your children, then the BPS might be for you. If you don't like it, that is fine with me, but I really like mine. Now, if I would use it more, I might remember to "pump" it all the time!

double vision
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:46 am  Reply with quote

My shooting buddy recently bought a 16 ga. BPS Upland and it's a pretty impressive little pump. It's light enough for field work and handles great. His weighed exactly 6lbs. 13 oz. on my scale and personally I like repeaters in that weight range. They shoot better for me and handle snottier ammo better than the lightweights. I briefly owned a 6lb. Rem 31 and I could hit squat with that whippy thing.
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:27 am  Reply with quote

BPS unreliable? Rolling Eyes Not in my experience. I've got three; a 10ga magnum, 12ga 3" and a 16ga Upland 28". I've had the 10 and 12ga for more than 25 years. Always reliable with both factory ammo and my own reloads. Even though I was raised using an Ithaca 37, I like the versatility of the BPS Invector chokes.

Sorry, I guess I'm not doing a good job of dissuading a BPS purchase.

rhtx55
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:17 am  Reply with quote

Out of all the "slightly used" classic fine doubles available now, why a BPS ???
Foxes, Greeners, Hollands & Purdeys....the list goes on, and to each his own.
I can certainly understand one going for that one dream gun he has always lusted after, but circumstances would never allow earlier in life.

Now......would a modern new BPS really fit that description for you ??

Some many fine guns.....so little time......