16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Winchester WAA16 wads
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:21 pm  Reply with quote

I have located a possible one time supply of AA16 wads. There is supposed to be one case available. I do not have nor ever expect too have any AA16 hulls. I load only the black Remingtons and have a very good supply of R-16's and Gulandi wads for the black hulls for all of the loads I regularly use. I almost exclusively load 7/8 oz. loads, with a batch of 3/4 oz. sometimes. I am however thinking of going to all 3/4 for practice skeet as I am growing more recoil sensitive with age when using my 63/4 lb. model 12. I am not adverse to using card wad spacers and do so often.

My question is this: I thought I read here once that the black Remington hull is tapered and the WAA16 wad is not (or vice versa). Will the WAA16 wad be ok in the black Rem. hull for 7/8 and 3/4 oz. loads? I can always use more 16 ga. wads if I can get them at a reasonable price, but they would have to be compatable with the black Rem. for 7/8 and 3/4 oz. loads as I seldom if ever load 1 oz. loads. Any thoughts on whether or not these WAA16's would be a good aquisition for what I use? If they are reasonable but not suited for my pet loads, I will try to grab them up and get them to someone on this site for whatever I pay plus shipping.

I am of the opinion that they are interchangeable with the R-16 in any load with the exception that they are a tad higher pressure than the R-16. If that is true and they are no more expensive than the R-16, I will probably keep them.

I have a bit more follow-up to do to get the price and make sure they are still available but I believe they are. I am a member of the low pressure group but have temporarily misplaced my discs.

What do you think? Thanks in advance for the help.
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:27 pm  Reply with quote

I believe the WAA16 is compatible with the Remington hulls in a 1 oz. load as Alliant has a half dozen or so listed loads in their current catalog.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/RecipeDetail.aspx?title=Shotshell&shotype=&weight=1&weightdis=1&shellid=372&gtypeid=3&gauge=16

I don't know how much the pressure/velocity would change by reducing the load to 7/8 or 3/4 oz. and using cards. I just use the R16 for reduced loads in the Rem. hull.

If you don't want them I'd be glad to reimburse you for cost and postage.

Matt
Chukarman
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:28 pm  Reply with quote

These wads don't work well in any but a Win AA Compression Formed case with tapered walls.

If you send me the contact information, I'll buy them to use with my WAA16 cases.

)he said, smiling)

C Man