16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Ducks w/ a 16 ga.
Doc Hale
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:16 pm  Reply with quote

I plan to use on of two 16 ga. guns for teal and small ducks this year over decoys. I have on old (1953) Remington wingmaster choked IC and a savage-fox B choked full and modified. Any thoughts as to which would be better? I bought some bismuth shells: any other recommendations for soft steel guns? Thanks in advance for any thoughts/recommendations.
Haiwee
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:31 pm  Reply with quote

You can also shoot the Kent Tungsten Matrix shells safely through your guns. Stick to them and bismuth loads, and you'll be alright. Personally, I'd use to the Savage-Fox, because in my experience both the bismuth and the Kent loads pattern more closely to lead loads than steel, which generally requires a more open choke to pattern well. I shoot bismuth reloads through my Ithaca M37 (modified choke) and knock them down pretty well to about 35 yards. Any further out than that I stick with a modern 12 gauge gun with steel or Hevi-shot.
Doc Hale
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:06 am  Reply with quote

Haiwee: Actually I had been using an Ithaca 37 in 12 ga., especially for small ducks. It worked fine with # 3 steel and # 6 Hevishot but (on the advice of someone who 'knew') I bought some steel BB in case of goose. Big mistake. The gun now chokes as IC and I am debating what to do (choke tubes, new barrel, etc). So the Savage/Fox B will get the nod for teal. I now have a 3" BPS for goose and can use it for ducks, but it seems so excessive and heavy.

Thanks for your input re: the Tungsten matrix. I will give them a try.
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:32 am  Reply with quote

The Kent TM's are great. The load I'd recommend is 1 1/4 oz 5's. That will definitely stone a duck well out there, and your Fox B will handle it very well. So would your Remington, for that matter.
woodcock
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:40 am  Reply with quote

Doc--I use a lighter load than Larry for Ring Necks, Read Heads and decoying Canvasbacks (1 0z. T/M 6's or the 1 1/8oz. 5's)---few survivors if I do my part. For a while I tried Bismuth but found it inferior to(and more expensive than)the Tungsten Matirx shells. Ultimately the choice will be made based on your experience of course
Doc Hale
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

Larry & Wood cock:
I will look for the T/M 16 ga. loads Wednesday. I lean toward the # 6 for teal, but # 5 for later in the season sounds like the right call. As I have two hunting friends who think 3 1/2" 12s are the way to go, I should have fun just uncasing the 16s. Actually, one has a 16 ga. A-5. Think I could show him the value of bringing it back to the marsh? Thanks for your help.
311A 16ga
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:44 pm  Reply with quote

I find that 15/16 oz #6 Hevi Shot reloads kills ducks over decoys most effectively (mostly mallards and golden eyes). BP recipe.

Wonder when we are going to have 24k gold shot, price for HeviShot is outta sight.
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:26 am  Reply with quote

Kent no longer makes 16ga loads with TM 6's. 5's only, either 1 1/16 or 1 1/4 oz.

Concerning Hevi-Shot . . . IMPORTANT REMINDER: It is harder than steel. If you have an old gun that won't handle steel, then it certainly won't handle HS. I would not use HS in any older shotgun, whether it's a double, pump, or autoloader.
woodcock
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:05 am  Reply with quote

Hey 311, you can get gold shot now (10k only) at BENDOVER.com. They are affiliated with GOTCHANOW, Inc.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:12 am  Reply with quote

Word on the internet (which you can ALWAYS believe) is that some depleted uranium shot is available out of Kazakhstan. Razz I think the same chick that's looking for a boyfriend has some. Wink

clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:00 am  Reply with quote

IIRC, the BPI catalog is still showing Kent TM available in 6's. Probably leftover inventory. If you need 6's you may want to order them while you still can.