16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  What Are Your Favorite Bird Hunting Boots?
Baden Powell
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:37 am  Reply with quote

Most painful boots I ever owned were Irish Setters, so I have avoided Redwings for many years. Now that I have orthotics, I don't think I would consider buying any boots I could not try on first.
I always wanted a pair of the Browning Kangaroos for upland, but never got around to trying a pair.
Have heard a lot of beefs with Russells on an African hunting forum I frequent.
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:00 am  Reply with quote

You could get a pair of Russell's measured with your orthotics. You wearing wedges? Reno

Baden Powell
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:15 am  Reply with quote

Wearing full foot orthotics.
William Ross
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:17 am  Reply with quote

Irish Setters for the last 40 years. Red Wing was the only boot I could find that fit the size 12A skis attached to my ankles.

Lloyd3
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:32 pm  Reply with quote

Russells, measured with my orthodics, have been a very good investment. Make sure you're properly measured and then just enjoy them. For duck or elk hunting I use other options. The little work you must do to maintain them is well worth it.

Last edited by Lloyd3 on Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chicago
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:01 pm  Reply with quote

I have used Bean and Danner boots. I liked the Beans but as I grew older they didn't give enough support. The Danners were great for support but would leak after year one or two. For the past 20 years or more I have used Russell boots for upland hunting, except for winter and then I use Muck Wetlanders. If I am working a swamp edge and it is really wet I also use the Wetlanders.

Everybody needs to figure out what boot works for them. The last will vary from one company to another.

Good Hunting,
Mike
DanLee
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:09 pm  Reply with quote

I mostly use Bean boots. Got a pair of the bison leather uppers a couple years ago after I gave my 1975 Bean boots to my son (after my foot outgrew the bottoms). When it gets colder, I use the insulated bottom Bean boots I bought around 1985. If it gets really cold for here, I go with a pair of insulated Dunhams. I can't recall when I got those, but it's been at least 20 years. I apply a layer of Snow Seal to all once a year.

Dan
retired1
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:27 pm  Reply with quote

Red Wing 8 inch Waterproof Made in USA. Wouldn't trade them!

Browning BPS Upland Special
Dickinson M/162 SxS Boxlock
Rick O
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:59 pm  Reply with quote

I have a pair of rounded toe Danners with Goretex and Vibram Gumlite non lug soles that I bought in Seattle in 2000 for use here for quail and in Canada field duck shooting. Excellent, comfy boots.

But the BEST ones I have owned are the pair of ugly camo Walmart insulated Wolverene or? boots that I bought in Weyburn, Sask for $50 when I left my Danners at home a few years ago. Fit perfect with good soles and felt ten years old right out of the box. Only prob is they are not waterproof.
Zor
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:48 pm  Reply with quote

I spend a lot of time in boots at work, so that's where I spend my money. Most of my Redwing and Thoroughgood boots have translated well to the field. Of course it depends on weather and terrain but my favorites for dry conditions and mild terrain is an old pair of Redwings (202 or 212 is the model). If it's rocky or just raining I got a pair of Danner mountain lites last year from the Mrs. They're great for backpacking in the mountains and translate well to hunting mountain terrain. If I'm back in Wisconsin and hunting flooded fields I opt for XtraTuffs aka alaskan sneakers. They aren't nearly as comfortable as the others, but the waterproofness pays in dividends.

They aren't bad for swinging flies in the arctic either...
[URL=http://s110.photobucket.com/user/deuce618/media/DSCN1712_zps50bbfa8f.jpg.html] [/URL]

Anyone care to share your boot maintenance process? I could probably take a bit better care of mine.
slowpokebill
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:28 am  Reply with quote

Zor wrote:

Anyone care to share your boot maintenance process? I could probably take a bit better care of mine.

I always rinse the mud off my boots, let them air dry, brush and then re-oil my Filsons. Keeping leather boots clean and free of mud between uses sure extends their life. Dries mud and dirt pulls the oils out of the leather.
Chicago
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:33 am  Reply with quote

Anyone care to share your boot maintenance process? I could probably take a bit better care of mine.[/quote]

I use Obenauf's (Heavy Duty) and I think it is basically bees wax and a few other ingredients. You don't need to heat the boots first, the stuff just melts in as you rub it on the boot. It is really easy to use. I have Russell boots that are over 20 years old with no cracked leather and they see plenty of wet conditions.

Good Hunting,
Mike
bmc
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:48 am  Reply with quote

Chicago wrote:

I use Obenauf's (Heavy Duty) and I think it is basically bees wax and a few other ingredients. You don't need to heat the boots first, the stuff just melts in as you rub it on the boot. It is really easy to use. I have Russell boots that are over 20 years old with no cracked leather and they see plenty of wet conditions.

Good Hunting,
Mike[/quote]

+1

The biggest misconception with most of our field gear is that it should be cleaned periodicaly. It shouldn't, it should be cleaned and cared for with every use.

Just as with my guns, most do a cleaning a few times a year, instead I wipe my guns down at the end of every day they are used, I run a bore snake through them and a light coat of protective oil on the entire gun. Same thing should be done with your boots. As soon as the gun is cleaned and cased I start in on my boots. I cary a small boot brush in my field bag, I wipe down the boot, give it a good brushing and then apply a Obenauf, buff out and Im set for the next outting. I dont always put a dab of Obenauf on the boot, instead I use the same rag from previous applications. There is ususally enough residual protectant to do the job. I do this every time back at the truck before I drive home, period.

Just like with the guns, both before and after the season I check for areas that need repair or more attention and fix what is needed. I have found that by doing daily maintenacne the periodic cleanings/maintenace is much easier.
Baden Powell
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:41 am  Reply with quote

I use Obenaufs on some, mink oil or Huberd's Shoe Grease on others. The smell of Huberd's reminds me of my father.
Realized I have several pairs of boots I have neglected. Will get to it!
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:44 am  Reply with quote

Being my first year I asked my hunting partners (mostly in their 60's & 70's) what I should consider.

As someone mentioned before, I as well, live in a marshy area dominated by farm fields that don't require additional watering (Growing up in southern IL & western NC I remember many of those water spraying items in the fields, never see them here).

Between the extreme cold and wet conditions I received almost exclusive recommendations for Muck boots. They have been used for Turkey hunts, Dove hunts, Duck scouting, and Pheasant scouting. I have been happy with the purchase and would be happy to recommend to someone else in a similar area.

Before I purchased them (1st few months) I was wearing some cheap Wally-World boots that hurt my feet.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31