16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Any experience with Ugartechea?
drake
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:31 pm  Reply with quote

Anyone out there tell me about Ugartechea? Bonus $ coming in October....

From your website, I learned there are two importers. Lion Country Supply and Aspen Outfitting.

I'm thinking about the Aspen Outfitters version........ I was told by Aspen Outfitters that his guns are built special and are mechanically different from Lion Country supply version. He advised his guns are not built to shoot 1 1/8 ounce loads.

I shoot 1-2 boxes of high brass 1 1/8 oz shells for pheasants in SD and ND. The rest of my shooting during the year is 7/8 and 1oz loads.

How do these guns differ in quality from an AYA or Grulla or other Spanish makers?

Drake
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:45 am  Reply with quote

Ugartechea makes some very decent guns. However, as you have seen, they will make them to fit any importer's budget or specifications. Be careful where and how you buy one. Ugartechea models run the gamet from jewels to junk like many other Spanish doubles.

the Aspen models appear to be very similar to the AyA 4/53 boxlock. However, they have the scolloped edge at the back of the action block. Its a bit classier looking than the AyA model and is similar to the Merkel boxlock.

The AyA 4/53 boxlock has an excellent reputation for quality and ruggedness. the AyA guns also have an excellent reputation for well regulated, straight shooting barrels. I would think the Aspen Uggie should be on par too.

I suggest contacting Jack Rowe for his take on either model. He is on the web and is the go to guy for repairs on Spanish doubles in the States. He'll know.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:21 am  Reply with quote

I would think a modern gun should handle 1-1/8oz loads; if someone told me that upfront it would throw up a red flag for me. Sounds like maybe he's had too many returned for repairs? Just my $.02.

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Panhead13
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:29 am  Reply with quote

I happen to have an as yet unfired 16 gauge AOC Ugartechea that is proofed at 1020 bar. After searching this site and others, I have been unable to determine whether 1 1/8 ounce loads are appropriate--mostly because I can't figure out what sort of pressures factory load with that much shot generates. I am under the impression that the safe operating range for a gun is approximately 2/3 of the proof pressure.

It would seem odd that a modern firearm would be incapable of handling over the counter loads without some sort of indication, up front, that the gun can't handle certain factory loads.

Heavier loads aren't always better or we would all be shooting bigger guns, but it is nice to know the thing's limitations without finding out the hard way.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:30 am  Reply with quote

I would ask for a clarification here. Aspen might be saying the barrels are regulated to shoot 1 oz. loads the best. The pattern center of a heavier load should hit to a slightly more outward point of impact at 40 yards. If this is what is meant, I'd venture to say these guns are very well regulated indeed. Any maker who is that specific is probably making a very good gun.

Incidentally, my AyA Mattie and my Beretta 409 shoot my 3/4 ounce skeet loads to a closer convergant point than a shot load of an ounce or more. This has to be due to the lower amount of outward recoil or lateral barrel shift while the shot column is transiting the bore. This works out beautifully. These comfortable to shoot little poppers crush close in clay targets and walllup small game birds out to 25 yards nicely, by putting the sweet spot of the pattern right on at closer range.

I did not plan this. I'm not that smart. It just happlily works out that way. I'd say the same forces are at work with O/U guns, but on a vertical plane. I've used the knowledge to improve my trap doubles average in the last two years. I shoot a 7/8 ounce load at the first, quickly rising bird with my O/U trap gun. The little load hits to a higher POI and is a bit faster than my 1-1/8 ounce second target load in getting there. It also creates less recoil so I'm staying in the gun better and getting to the second target quicker. Its a win, win, win kind of thing. Works for me! Very Happy
drake
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:19 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen, thanks for your expertise.

I have about $3000.00 to spend.

I want a light, S X S for Wisconsin/U.P Michigan grouse and woodcock.

The Aspen model is around $3000.00 and seems to have the features I am looking for.

I also saw AOC guns on Guns America for $2195.00 NIB. Don't know why the big difference in price........

Anyway, by the end of October, money will exchange hands for one device or another. I have never owned a Spanish gun...........have heard good and bad about them.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:31 am  Reply with quote

If both guns are boxlocks, I'd look carefully at both. They probably are about the same qualitywise. Gun houses tend to price their guns as they see fit. This usually has little to do with the relative merits between two very similar models from the same source. If one is more cheaply made, it will be very apparent.

Case in point. A certain Italian maker I know of will make a basic SxS boxlock model with slightly different embellishments for two different importers. There is actually little to nothing different between the two gun models. However, one importer attempts to get over $1700 each and the other wants under $900. Same gun for all practical purposes, slightly different look. I really doubt the dealer cost for either is very different. the maker could care less how much the buyer sells the guns for as long as the contract is paid for.

SKB and Whetherby O/U guns are or were basicly identical except for some minor outward differences. The SKB guns sell for at least 30% less--even the higher grades. Why? Name I guess.

Be smart. Get the most gun you can get for the best price you can get. Why pay one dealer more for virtually the same gun. Name brands don't carry the weight they used to unless a firm has a long, well established record of fair dealing and good quality, like Browning.
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:48 am  Reply with quote

If you actually check out some of the Spanish guns, you may be underwhelmed by some of their fit and finish. I was really surprised how certain upper end Spanish gun's barrels were struck given what they were charging ($3K+). I've picked up a custom fitted Poli through Rich Cole last year and I'm very pleased with it. It comes in around 6.25 lbs with 29" barrels (and would probably go with a 30" given another chance). If you want a custom job, you'll have to wait but they may have some sitting in their inventory. Their guns might go for a little over your $3K limit but I think you'll be pleased with their offerings...

Good luck....
Golfswithwolves
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:53 am  Reply with quote

I have just registered and this will be my initial posting on this forum, but I have experience with an Ugartechea. Mine is a sidelock and in 12 gauge, previously owned, and is one of their really nice ones (I rewarded myself some years back). I have found the gun to be of excellent quality, and have used it to hunt pheasant and sharptails and Huns, all with fine results- I think that this builder can be relied on in its high-end shotguns. My 16 is a Model 12, so I can't comment on 16s by Ugartechea. And I don't know how to pronounce it.

fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:11 am  Reply with quote

Welcome Golfswithwolves; great user name Very Happy ! Afganistan, eh? Kepp your head down over there!

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
JTM
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:50 am  Reply with quote

I have a 16 ga Ugartechea sxs I purchased used back in the spring of this year. So far I've only shot a little skeet with it. Mine is a box lock w/28" barrels and was made in 1993 and imported by Precision Sports. It is equivalent to the Grade II model listed by Lion Country Supply. It seems to be well made....fit & finish are good, weights in at around 6lb 7oz.
Just finished loading some 7/8 and 3/4 oz field loads for a trip to Michigan for grouse and woodcock in October. Time will tell as to whether