16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Reloading once fired roll crimp hulls
Doggai
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:32 am  Reply with quote

You ask a good question. In the past when I used new hulls, and used an OSC that were gauge specific and purchased from a supplier I would insert the OSC, then give the hull mouth a little squeeze when I took it up to heat the mouth and then insert it into the table mounted RC. That little squeeze did the job of keeping all the stuff in the shell under the OSC. The OSC from BPI or others fit inside the loaded hulls tight against the hull interior wall. It works on 99% of the reloaded, roll crimped new hulls.

As you surmise, this is not necessary with fired hulls. Most of the time I punch the OSC out of whatever material I have around such as clear plastic clam shell and foam take out food containers, cardboard milk containers, butter boxes, even old factory shell boxes on which the end flaps won't stay shut. The spring of the old roll crimped hull mouth retains the OSC even if it is a bit undersize for the hull interior.

(Author's note - original reply edited for clarity.)

Browning Double Auto Twelvette
Browning Double Auto Twentyweight
Remington 1100 12 2 barrels
Charles Daly SxS 28
Hairboxers
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:52 pm  Reply with quote

Slowed things down and worked up a bunch of shells for some patterning work and skeet shooting this morning.

I think even with the slowing down the RPM still not quite right. Will post some pics of the hulls later (have to go clear out my range bag and check them out a bit) but overall feel/look like hulls from my previous loads.

Everything shoots fine and I need a bunch of rounds for a grouse and woodcock adventure this coming weekend so going to dig right back in and load up more tonight or tomorrow.

I am thinking I may be heating things up too much even with the lower RPM. Going to try to use less heat (shorter time on shell) and more pressure (more push down on drill press).

Good thing these Cheddite hulls are pretty cheap! Sooner or later I'll get multiple loads out of them, but have to find that sweet spot first.
byrdog
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:37 am  Reply with quote

When I roll crimp plastic hulls I put a little Pam in a sauser and apply it to the crimper every 3 shells. Use a tiny bit on a cutip. But first-To start I warm the tool by pressing it on to a block of wood until it feels almost to hot to touch.
When I crimp I hold the crimper on the mouth for a count of five then push down in one motion very quickly. The best results are made with a drill press.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/