16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Jack O'Connor and shotguns PICS ADDED see first posting.
canvasback
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:31 pm  Reply with quote

XVIgauge, I always get a chuckle about this sort of thing. Because a writer has a marvelous way with words, his prejudices ( I mean that in the best sense of the word) should be taken as the gospel truth?

O'Connor was a great writer, no doubt. He was somewhat knowledgeable about hunting and firearms. He was not, clearly, America's foremost expert on firearms, their development and use in America. This is just common sense.

The fact maybe that O'Connor had as big a blind spot as you do about the wartime use of rifles by Britons as compared to Americans and how that experience affected the two countries most common choice for shotgun configuration.

Personally I'd suggest it has something to do with the different styles of hunting, but that's just me.

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
BarkeyVA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:11 pm  Reply with quote

Could it be that doubles were more expensive to make and could not compete with pumps and semi-autos that generally were less expensive and offered the shooter more that two shots?

XVIgauge
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:09 pm  Reply with quote

BarkeyVA wrote:
Could it be that doubles were more expensive to make and could not compete with pumps and semi-autos that generally were less expensive and offered the shooter more that two shots?

Yes, Jack said that too.
xvigauge

XVIgauge
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:19 pm  Reply with quote

canvasback wrote:
XVIgauge, I always get a chuckle about this sort of thing. Because a writer has a marvelous way with words, his prejudices ( I mean that in the best sense of the word) should be taken as the gospel truth?

O'Connor was a great writer, no doubt. He was somewhat knowledgeable about hunting and firearms. He was not, clearly, America's foremost expert on firearms, their development and use in America. This is just common sense.

The fact maybe that O'Connor had as big a blind spot as you do about the wartime use of rifles by Britons as compared to Americans and how that experience affected the two countries most common choice for shotgun configuration.

Personally I'd suggest it has something to do with the different styles of hunting, but that's just me.

Jack didn't say this was THE resaon, he said that "perhaps" it was. I also didn't mean to say that I took his example of one of the possibilities as the definitive and only possible truth, though it may have inadvertently come out that way. I'm not taking his word as "gospel," but pretty close. After all, you and I never were shooting editors for years for Outdoor Life Magazine; neither did we write several books on rifles and shotguns, (I'm just sayin'). But, we do have the right to our opinions and you might be completely correct. But, no one will ever know for sure; only that the process did happen.
xvigauge

skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:26 pm  Reply with quote

Sure will be happy when folks start talking about their shooting and hunting adventures !

Our Big Duck season starts 31 Oct and I have started preparing Very Happy

Now, what gun, what gun??
Should it be an A-5, Model 12, Aya, Drilling, Citori, what to do, what to do.
What would Jack say? Ask Eleanor?

Mike

p.s. fun reading

http://bluepike.tripod.com/Model21/27396/27396.htm

steve voss
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:33 pm  Reply with quote

It should, of course, be a sixteen gauge. It should be in the mode of a classic English sidelock game gun. It should have been set up to fit you perfectly and have a straight grip and double triggers. Ejectors and choke tubes are optional, but add versatility to the gun. This particular sample was born in Spain some 13 years ago and is my go to gun and it allowed me, at age 64, to take my first ever ruffed grouse this week.

BarkeyVA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:13 pm  Reply with quote

Before talking about an upcoming hunting trip, I grew up shooting a 20 ga. Ithaca model 37 pump. My favorite upland bird gun is a 16 ga. Marlin Model 90 O/U. However my only 25 straight shooting wobble trap was with a 16 ga. Eastern Arms 101.7 (Stevens 5100) SxS ( choked Mod/Full) the first time I shot it!

I've never hunted with it, and even though it weighs a little over 7 lbs, I'm seriously thinking about taking it along with my Model 90 on an upcoming duck/pheasant combo hunt around Russell, KS my nephew and I will be doing with Stuart Young at Last Chance Wings and Labs in early December.

I plan to use a 12 ga. Beretta Extrema 2 with a Kick-Off stock for waterfowl.

simcgunner
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:22 am  Reply with quote

As an American I prefer double triggers and straight stocks. If they don't have them make [URL=http://s449.photobucket.com/user/simcgunner/media/WP_20140912_001_zps2193fb16.jpg.html] [/URL]
steve voss
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:55 am  Reply with quote

Last night my wife and I discovered that ruffed grouse are our favorite game bird.

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:43 pm  Reply with quote

Well, lets have the receipe used on the grouse. Looks good.

Canvasback, the "Americans as rifleman" comment goes back in time to an era when a country armed with smooth bore muskets attempted to force it's will upon a country full of hunters armed with Kentucky rifles.

It is the history Jack would have been taught in school.

Nothing more.

Best,
Ted

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:34 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="Ted Schefelbein"]

/quote]

It may have started with riflemen taking advantage of the increased effective range over the musketed adversaries, but more prominent in Jack's history class would have been the affect of American Riflemen such as Alvin York during the unpleasantness contemporary to Jack's secondary schooling.
Researcher
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:13 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
It may have started with riflemen taking advantage of the increased effective range over the musketed adversaries, but more prominent in Jack's history class would have been the affect of American Riflemen such as Alvin York during the unpleasantness contemporary to Jack's secondary schooling.

When our boys were shooting 1903 Springfields with straight grip stocks?!?

canvasback
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:31 am  Reply with quote

[quote="AmericanMeet"]
Ted Schefelbein wrote:

/quote]

You are referring to a war where, as a percentage of your male population, you had about the smallest percentage of any of the combatants AND you were last in for the shortest period of time.

IF, and it is a big if, American shotgun preferences are based on rifle use, it's not from war experience, but from 200 years prior to WWI of widespread use for hunting and personal protection. We become familiar with what we learn to shoot with, the rifles our father's taught us to shoot with.

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
steve voss
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:33 am  Reply with quote

Ted Schefelbein wrote:
Well, lets have the receipe used on the grouse. Looks good.

Thank you, Ted. It really couldn't be simpler. Light dredge of flour, sautee in olive oil and butter with just a bit of fresh garlic added. Brown being careful not to over cook them. The pineapple slices would normally have been charred on the grill, but these I just seared in a bare skillet. Add tossed salad and you're all set. FYI, this is the same way I have prepared quail breast filets for decades. Very Happy

XVIgauge
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:03 am  Reply with quote

Researcher wrote:
Quote:

When our boys were shooting 1903 Springfields with straight grip stocks?!?

Good point, but the grip was not the only factor.
xvigauge