16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Jack O'Connor and shotguns PICS ADDED see first posting.
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:08 am  Reply with quote

steve voss wrote:
Ted Schefelbein wrote:
Well, lets have the receipe used on the grouse. Looks good.

Thank you, Ted. It really couldn't be simpler. Light dredge of flour, sautee in olive oil and butter with just a bit of fresh garlic added. Brown being careful not to over cook them. The pineapple slices would normally have been charred on the grill, but these I just seared in a bare skillet. Add tossed salad and you're all set. FYI, this is the same way I have prepared quail breast filets for decades. Very Happy

Does this method cook the birds all the way through? I hate under cooked meat of any kind. Are they tough or tender? I have experienced some game birds that were tough when pan fried. I guess they were older birds. A young bird should cook up tender.
xvigauge

XVIgauge
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:14 am  Reply with quote

[quote="canvasback"]
AmericanMeet wrote:
Ted Schefelbein wrote:

It is the history Jack would have been taught in school.

/quote]

It may have started with riflemen taking advantage of the increased effective range over the musketed adversaries, but more prominent in Jack's history class would have been the affect of American Riflemen such as Alvin York during the unpleasantness contemporary to Jack's secondary schooling.

You are referring to a war where, as a percentage of your male population, you had about the smallest percentage of any of the combatants AND you were last in for the shortest period of time.

IF, and it is a big if, American shotgun preferences are based on rifle use, it's not from war experience, but from 200 years prior to WWI of widespread use for hunting and personal protection. We become familiar with what we learn to shoot with, the rifles our father's taught us to shoot with.

This is becoming just a plain old pissing contest of a bunch of stubborn (myself included) older guys who will not back down from their OPINION (and this is all opinion) and can't even be substantiated by any facts as the facts do not exist. I may continue to comment on cooking grouse or hunting them, but I have stated my opinion and I feel no other comments are necessary from me on the Jack O'Conner rifle/shotgun theory. Come on guys, let's not waste our time arguing over a fruitless subject.
xvigauge

canvasback
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:20 am  Reply with quote

Well said, XVI, I agree completely.

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
steve voss
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:06 pm  Reply with quote

Grouse breasts were just cooked through. No pink at all, but not one second longer. They were extremely tender...more like a quail than a pheasant.

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:03 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="XVIgauge"]
canvasback wrote:
AmericanMeet wrote:
Ted Schefelbein wrote:

It is the history Jack would have been taught in school.

/quote]

It may have started with riflemen taking advantage of the increased effective range over the musketed adversaries, but more prominent in Jack's history class would have been the affect of American Riflemen such as Alvin York during the unpleasantness contemporary to Jack's secondary schooling.

You are referring to a war where, as a percentage of your male population, you had about the smallest percentage of any of the combatants AND you were last in for the shortest period of time.

IF, and it is a big if, American shotgun preferences are based on rifle use, it's not from war experience, but from 200 years prior to WWI of widespread use for hunting and personal protection. We become familiar with what we learn to shoot with, the rifles our father's taught us to shoot with.

This is becoming just a plain old pissing contest of a bunch of stubborn (myself included) older guys who will not back down from their OPINION (and this is all opinion) and can't even be substantiated by any facts as the facts do not exist. I may continue to comment on cooking grouse or hunting them, but I have stated my opinion and I feel no other comments are necessary from me on the Jack O'Conner rifle/shotgun theory. Come on guys, let's not waste our time arguing over a fruitless subject.
xvigauge

All correct, but I do have one thing to add: Alvin York was not issued a Springfield but rather one of the M1917 Enfields.
Bloodhound
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:33 am  Reply with quote

Somewhere Jack is laughing....his writing always had lots of his opinion and lots of his experience based thoughts on rifles and shotguns. He wrote that he thought what he thought and he didn't care who agreed or disagreed...I think he liked to stir it up....

Folks I'll bet Jack is pleased that his opinion is still stirring it up.

Do Justice
Love Mercy
Walk Humbly With Your GOD
sl93z
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:05 pm  Reply with quote

pics added.
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

On the subject of American preferences in stocks, I think that certainly in the 60's and 70's that was true, but somewhere in the late 80's the trend was towards lighter, English-gripped shotguns. Certainly in fine guns that was the case. I'd like to say this enlightenment was driven by a thirst for the better things in life (driven by other good gun writers), but I think it was far-more basic than that. With the ageing of the Baby Boomers came a need for lighter field guns in order to extend the play time afield. Lighter American guns are few and far between and more-expensive because if their relative rarity, so The Brits were all-to-happy to oblige that need with their now heavily-regulated (domestically) and shrinking gun industry. The Spanish just followed the market and here we are today. Most of the fine guns (SXS) sold here in the last decade are on the English pattern.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:17 pm  Reply with quote

I do tire of hearing about hunters that are 25 pounds overweight praising a rifle or shotgun that is one pound lighter than standard so they can carry it all day.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:26 pm  Reply with quote

BarkeyVA wrote:
Before talking about an upcoming hunting trip, I grew up shooting a 20 ga. Ithaca model 37 pump. My favorite upland bird gun is a 16 ga. Marlin Model 90 O/U. However my only 25 straight shooting wobble trap was with a 16 ga. Eastern Arms 101.7 (Stevens 5100) SxS ( choked Mod/Full) the first time I shot it!

I've never hunted with it, and even though it weighs a little over 7 lbs, I'm seriously thinking about taking it along with my Model 90 on an upcoming duck/pheasant combo hunt around Russell, KS my nephew and I will be doing with Stuart Young at Last Chance Wings and Labs in early December.

I plan to use a 12 ga. Beretta Extrema 2 with a Kick-Off stock for waterfowl.

You have a gun you shot 25 straight with and you haven't hunted with it? Shocked I'm not sure I understand the logic there.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:31 pm  Reply with quote

sl93z, thanks for sharing. I'm a big Jack fan from way back, and I've always wanted to see that shotgun.
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:59 am  Reply with quote

Should we start a separate thread to talk about grouse recipes? They are my favorite bird for table fare as well. I'm not sure Jack ever addressed that issue.
Golfswithwolves
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:52 pm  Reply with quote

When I was a kid I checked out Jack O'Connor's shotgun book from the library at least 3 or 4 times. I practically had it memorized before I was able to buy my first shotgun. Now I own the book too. There is a lot of good information in this book, along with the inevitable gun prejudices of the writer. I think that Jack's writings on shotguns stand up to the test of time and are a valuable guide to the important stuff; the small stuff can be argued over.

Zrexxer
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:29 am  Reply with quote

Golfswithwolves wrote:
When I was a kid I checked out Jack O'Connor's shotgun book from the library at least 3 or 4 times. I practically had it memorized before I was able to buy my first shotgun.
Same thing for me, except in my case it was The Rifle Book. I probably singlehandedly wore out the public library's copy. Most of what I learned about guns overall up until I was 18 or so came from Jack's books.

Jack O'Connor was an opinionated SOB, no doubt - but man, I miss him. I have fond memories of poring through his books, wondering what it would be like to go on such great adventures with such beautiful guns.
BarkeyVA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:53 am  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan wrote:
You have a gun you shot 25 straight with and you haven't hunted with it? Shocked I'm not sure I understand the logic there.

The main reason is lack of opportunity. I hunted wild pheasants in 2011. I bought the Eastern Arms sxs in 2012. For various reasons I did not go pheasant hunting in 2012 or 2013. I went pheasant hunting in Kansas again last January, but decided to hunt with my 16 ga. Model 90 and the 12 ga. Model 90 that my dad gave me when I was 14. (Dad passed away in June 2013,)

The sxs will be one of the guns I take on our upcoming pheasant and duck hunting trip to Kansas next month.