16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Full pistol grip vs Semi-pistol grip
chopper
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:56 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the posts. It confirms what I feel when I handle the 525's at the local gun club. I would prefer a semi-PG but, have yet to find a 16 with a PG. All are POW or straight stocks. Confused

Anywho, anyone out there that's hunted birds with a 525 (other than doves or ducks...something that requires you to walk a while...). Is the full curl PG something you get used to with time??? Having shot neither a POW or staight stock I'm going into this purchase blind Embarassed and appreciate insight from all.
525field
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:23 am  Reply with quote

have used a 525 for a couple of years mpo is you get a sound hold on the gun and is easy to handle in high crp which we don't have much of this year
but for me I seem to get the gun on target faster,and when your a little long in the tooth faster is better
Dennis
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:30 pm  Reply with quote

Chopper, My best advice based on my years and years of toting and shooting shotguns is, that when it comes to field guns, if it does not feel natural and right from the get go, it never will. Except of course if you have it altered to fit right. Forget the looks. Go for feel first.

Stop and think. We do not go tramping through the field with our guns solidly placed to shoulder in a premounted position with our trigger hand placed exactly the way the grip requires. We are constantly shifting the gun back and forth between hands as needs be, shifting the muzzle in the safest direction, and our feet are almost never planted right when the bird goes up.

Wingshooting upland targets requires an ability to react to whatever safe shot the birds present. The gun has to flow naturally to the shoulder as you swing around to square youreself to the line of flight and the muzzle begins tracking the bird. You will not have time to think about hand placement or anything else. So don't buy any gun that requires any fiddling with to get it to feel right. Buy the one that says hello the first time and every time you grab the grip and mount it. That will be your gun.

FYI, the somewhat open prince of wales grip adapts the easiet to the most folks. It allows a shooter to shift the trigger hand a bit up or back as the trigger finger requires and does not bend the wrist up too much. This grip angle and size is one of the features found on the old Remington 1100 grip shape and the secret to why the gun feels so good to so many folks. The grip is really a modifed POW grip without a round knob.

Only folks with very short fingers or tiny hands have trouble with a more open grip. If the grip feels a tad too slim with bare hands, that is fine. You'll appreciate it when thew cold weather hits and the gloves go on.. If you have to, you can use a bit of tennis racquet grip wrap to fatten it up some or wear some light gloves for any shooting. This is not a bad idea anyway. Hope this opinion helps.