16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  What's your perfect Pheasant conditions ??
Brad6260
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:29 am  Reply with quote

We'll I couldn't stand it any longer. The temps got down to about 60 last night so this morning I took the labs over to the farm for our first full blown workout of the "fall".
Both dogs and master are badly in need of a tune up!

As the morning went on and I got depressed as the temps starting climbing my mind wandered to the painfully far away Kansas trip in November.
I started thinking about the possibility of the "perfect hunt" conditions and what that would be.

So here's my vote/plea: how bout night time temps about 15 degrees daytime highs of 25. Sunny skies with just a hint of wind. Not enough to get the cocks real nervous but enough to hide our steps a bit.
And most of all about 4" - 5" of snow to keep the birds tight and honkered down.

Last year was so warm the birds were all over the fields and it was like chasing a greased pig on steroids in a football stadium.

So that's my wish.

What's yours ???
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:46 am  Reply with quote

Brad: Here in Indiana the conditions I like would be clear and sunny, temperatures below 45 degrees, wind 10 mph or less with not a lot of water standing around. There is so much muck ground where we hunt that very often the pheasants' feet are dark with it; with a lot of water and full ditches it makes for very tough slogging and wet Carharrts which seem to get heavier with each step. We hunt the thickest cover because that's where the birds are, so if it's drier it's easier to get around. On the sunny days you can mark down the wild-flushing birds more readily, and it's easier to keep track of hunting companions too. On the other hand, I don't mind just a bit of humidity because that makes scenting conditions a little better for my Golden.

A big factor, and one that Larry Brown has alluded to in his book "The Pheasant Hunter's Notebook", is the progress of the local crop harvest. If the harvest is late, the birds can and will be in the corn where it seems they will run to the ends of the earth !! But if the combines have been able to work at the normal pace, the birds will be in the CPR/setaside/WRP and filter strips where with luck and a little planning, you can get within gun range once in awhile ! Just visualizing it in my mind is a pleasure; I live for the fall bird hunting. A good 16 gauge, comfortable Carharrts; a fine dog, my son to hunt with and drinking a cup of steaming coffee while slumped on a 4WD Z-71 tailgate---that's what life's about !!

And my farmers are telling me that this year they are seeing more coveys of quail....it promises to be a good year I think. Hope you have one too.

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:55 am  Reply with quote

That sounds great Brad. Now to make it perfect, Beau the super Slab would have just lifted his leg on thudddd after missing his 5th easy going away pheasant flush and tossing the Merkel in the pond Laughing

TJC
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:08 am  Reply with quote

I'd take up to 25 degrees, sunny with a slight wind to help the pooches use their noses. I don't really like the snow but if I had to, maybe 1-2".

Wouldn't have to worry about The Girls squatting on me as I don't miss with the Merkel. Wink

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:17 am  Reply with quote

All the corn out of the fields for two weeks or so. 0 degrees temp at the max,
-15 or so is better, at the tail end of a cold front. A decent, steady breeze out of the northwest for the dog to work. Slews frozen solid. Late enough in the season to keep the amateurs on the sofa, watching football, or whatever. A good seven inches of dry snow from the previous night, overcast the day of the hunt to keep it from getting a crust.

Heaven on earth.
Best,
Ted
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:56 am  Reply with quote

Well, I'm not a pheasant hunter, because we don't have any to speak of. Crying or Very sad But I left work early Friday for our Grouse opener. Hunted my way north to the cabin, and hit a few spots Friday evening. 0 grouse, 9 woodcock put up, no shots fired. Woodcok don't open for a week yet. Weather was hot, mid 70's, dog and I both about died from the heat. Sat. morning weather was alittle foggy and mid 50's. Wife, son, and I hunted from about 8:30 am till 11:00 am. Put up 7 grouse, son shot at three and missed. Leaves are still really thick. Can't see the dog past 20 yds. or so. Weather got hot, went to town for breakfast. Came home Sat. afternoon, cause we got a call the wifes father was taken to hospital. Everythings okay, but he had a pacemaker put in a week ago, and we didn't want to take any chances. Perfect weather for me is about 40 degress, light wind, with most of the folage down. Another couple weeks should be perfect. Except you have to contend with bow hunters.
Square Load
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:15 am  Reply with quote

Brad,

Your day sounds perfect to me.

Dennis
hunshatt
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:43 pm  Reply with quote

5 easy going away miss's????? The Slab wouldn't have to lift his leg in disgust asI think I'd give up my day job, get religion, and start trying to convert the kat /dog population, from flying rat's to real ground huging rats, after getting rid of the real fire power, and getting a tire iron(aka worlingworht) to beat the rats in the head with(as I'm sure I'd developed to much introspective morality, to just shoot them) After that I'd get a little bell, and stand in front of the local vittials purveyor witha red bucket and ring it for all I was worth, or till beer break, which ever came first.
brdhnt
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:51 pm  Reply with quote

Brad,

Your conditions are just about perfect. There are two I would add. The first has already been mentioned, having the crops out for several weeks. That lets you talk to the farmers and find out where they had seen birds during harvest. Then you can assess those places and figure out where the birds are hiding.

The second I would prefer is slightly over cast skies. The rooster that gets up right at your feet or forty yards out always cackles to let you know it's a rooster. The one that gets up ten yards in front of the dogs and right into the sun never makes a sound, so you don't shoot. Then your hunting buddy wants to know: "Why didn't you shoot at that rooster?"

Let the overcast burn off about nine or so and come back about three. Smile

That would be perfect! Very Happy

TMB
________
RENT GUARANTEE FORUMS

Last edited by brdhnt on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:36 am; edited 1 time in total
fin2feather
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:32 pm  Reply with quote

Feet up to the fire, dogs fed, guns cleaned, a nice single malt in the glass, and a brace of pheasants hanging out by the back door Wink

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
3DocPop
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:37 pm  Reply with quote

My Grandfather moved to CA in the 1890's because of snow in his native Nova Scotia. I am in the Central Valley, about an hour north of Fresno, where we usually do not see 25 degrees until Feb, and then only at night. I am 50, and remember snow on the ground here at home perhaps five times in my life.

So, for me (and probably most CA hunters), perfect pheasant weather is any where I actually see a wild bird in gun range anytime during the season.
Woodcanoeguy
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:35 am  Reply with quote

Any day I am healthy , my sons are with me, my dog is his normal goofy, huntin'-fool self and we are in SW North Dakota with our friend Allan....weather?....... we really don't care........