16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Slightly OT rant
16crazy
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:16 am  Reply with quote

Preparing for the deer season opener, my son and A#1 hunting partner found his long underwear no longer fit. He is an offensive lineman and great deer dragger!

Anyway we go into Scheels and start looking. We find a great pair. Cost $100 for the bottoms only. We found something else for $29 and went with that.

I start looking around and could not believe the price of clothing. I could have dropped $1000 in a heartbeat. They had a jacket for $400!!!!!!

I tend to use the heck out of my hunting clothes and use a lot of Carhart stuff that also doubles for winter wood cutting apparel. So that may have contributed to the sticker shock.

My point is they seem to be trying to make guns cheaper and cheaper but the clothes more and more expensive.

Why is a guy wanting a coat that costs more then his rifle?

Last edited by 16crazy on Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:23 am  Reply with quote

I share your disgust. Just look at an Orvis catalog!

I noticed even our local Fleet Farm has been overrun with clothing and I made shared that observation with their sporting goods manager one day. He said that the markup in clothing is much, much higher than anything else in the store.
steve voss
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:19 am  Reply with quote

This week in my local western store, I found a nice pair of insulated Key coveralls for $79. Shop your independent stores.

double vision
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:33 am  Reply with quote

steve voss wrote:
This week in my local western store, I found a nice pair of insulated Key coveralls for $79. Shop your independent stores.

That's the key. Stay away from the Gander Mountains and Orvis's. Nice stuff, but our Fleet Farm has plenty nice enough clothing for a lot less.
sneem
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:05 am  Reply with quote

From my experience if you want cold weather clothing, go to a Tractor Supply. Farmers and truckers know what works and what they'll pay for it.

16crazy
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:51 am  Reply with quote

I agree completely with avoiding the chains. My Cahart bibs and jacket have been with me for almost a decade of deer hunting and wood cutting. I think the set cost me like $150 at Fleet Farm. I wear a blaze orange vest that makes me legal.

My point is looking at the Savage Axis, Ruger All American and Remington 770 type guns, every maker seems to be aiming for a price of around $400. I am not claiming those guns are good or bad but that is less money then I was paying for rifles in the 80's.

Everybody seems sold on cheap rifles but by the looks of the stores the high dollar clothing sells well. I don't get it.
Zrexxer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:04 am  Reply with quote

16crazy wrote:
I agree completely with avoiding the chains. My Cahart bibs and jacket have been with me for almost a decade of deer hunting and wood cutting.
Carhartt is not what it used to be, either. Most of their stuff has been outsourced to third world sweatshops like Vietnam and Cambodia. Not like my old chore coat that says "Made in USA by Union workers."

Carhartt is touchy about letting that get out though - I bought a down jacket from them directly on one of their clearance sales, and they bugged me to write a review on their website.

I wrote a thorough, thoughtful review, talking about fit, construction, warmth, sleeve length - lots of things that I thought would be helpful to a prospective purchaser. However, I mentioned in the review that it was made in Bangladesh, and they rejected the whole review and wouldn't respond to emails. Said my review didn't conform their terms of service.

You can bet once they quit paying union wages and benefits though the price to the consumer sure as heck didn't go down.

Black Belt
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:11 pm  Reply with quote

One of the things I find most ironic about the cost of hunting clothes is the insane mark up in clothing. I would guess that $1000 worth of apparel cost about $50 to make. Good luck outfitting your son; I know I really appreciate how my Dad worked to get me outfitted right when I was young! You're a good man!
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:55 pm  Reply with quote

Why does one have to buy brand new hunting clothes? Check out the bay as they have used, sometimes almost new and never worn hunting clothes for a fraction of what they would cost new. You can find name brand used hunting coats, jackets, vests, pants, and boots at bargain prices. For example, I bought a used pair of Danner Grouse Hunting boots for $25 that sold for around $200 when new, AND they were already broken in. I also got a Filson vest for less than $10. Some of the vintage stuff can't even be found new anymore. Check them out, you will be surprised. After all, we think nothing of buying a used or vintage shotgun, why not hunting clothes?
xvigauge

dannypratt
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:17 am  Reply with quote

I have to agree. Heck I just saw a 700.00 flashlight in field & stream.....my 15.00 pocket mini-maglite seems to handle my chores quite well, but maybe I have extra dim light powerful eyeballs....
My best value in hunting clothes have been and still are with me after almost 20yrs and they are still nearly new looking! I bought a pair of Walls insulated bibs for deer and late season pheasant in 1996...40.00. (I wear them for EVERYTHING including work, I'm a carpenter). and they are still in great shape.
In 2003 I bought a 8in1 small game jacket w/ removable fleece made by Cabelas for 80.00 bucks. Awesome rig, can be a vest, jacket, fleece lined vest or jacket, and the fleece alone as a vest or jacket. 100s of days afield, looks almost like new sans some blood stains.
I'm not gentle with my outdoor clothes....they are clothes afterall. But I can't see 400.00 for an upland game jacket or 250.00 for camp bibs.
1000.00 for a mint 26" vent rib Sweet 16......what's money anyway. Smile

Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:55 am  Reply with quote

Buy quality, make sure it fits, and don't look back. Reno

Researcher
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:25 am  Reply with quote

I've never had anything as good as the WW-II Surplus wool Army Officer field pants I wore hunting in my high school and college years.

BarkeyVA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:28 am  Reply with quote

dannypratt wrote:
In 2003 I bought a 8in1 small game jacket w/ removable fleece made by Cabelas for 80.00 bucks. Awesome rig, can be a vest, jacket, fleece lined vest or jacket, and the fleece alone as a vest or jacket. 100s of days afield, looks almost like new sans some blood stains.
I'm not gentle with my outdoor clothes....they are clothes afterall. But I can't see 400.00 for an upland game jacket or 250.00 for camp bibs.
1000.00 for a mint 26" vent rib Sweet 16......what's money anyway. Smile

Due to inflation, that $80.00 8in 1 game jacket at Cabelas is now $169.99 (on sale for $119.99). http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&fsch=true&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=8+in+1+game+coat&x=12&y=10

gunflint charlie
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:49 pm  Reply with quote

Researcher wrote:
I've never had anything as good as the WW-II Surplus wool Army Officer field pants I wore hunting in my high school and college years.

I bought a couple pair of surplus wool pants in the mid-70s, still wear them when there's more than a few inches of snow. I'm pretty sure I won't wear them out.

Jay
dannypratt
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:59 pm  Reply with quote

BarkeyVa: whoa! No, I'd not pay 169.00. 119.00 yes, but 169 is ridiculous. Ill bet its not as good of qaulity as my old one.

GFC: Yup, I had wool surplus pants myself (out "grew" them, or should I say expanded past their limited waistline) and I still have them. Best 15.00 ever!