16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Does low pressure always result in low recoil?
JNW
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:10 pm  Reply with quote

Okay DC, just saw that you posted on the SW thread. I think it's neat that the free recoil of a faster powder is actually lower than a slower burning powder because the mass of the faster powder is less. The faster powder does have a higher pressure and therefore is related to recoil, but not in a mathematical sense. It's kinda like being related by marriage. So, one could argue (incorrectly) that faster powders have less perceived recoil. I think I'll start bringing that up at the gun club and whip out the formula for free recoil to explain.
Formulas aside I do not believe that pressure has anything to do with perceived recoil.
Regards,
Jeff
byrdog
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

Please refer to the "Signiture" at the bottom of this post.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:31 pm  Reply with quote

I'm always happy with a bang when I pull a trigger. While this topic is interesting, it fails to excite my curiosity. I'm doing good to hit what I shoot at and if I have just one more thing to think about I might just forget about one of the more important things and lose it. Ya'll let me know when you figure out away to describe this that makes sense to all of us. You lost me quick on. Reno

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:10 pm  Reply with quote

How about this:
Take a pressure gauge and a very accurate clock. Fire the shell. Upon ignition start recording the pressure readings and the time each increment of pressure was reached until the shot leaves the barrel and the pressure returns to net 0.

Now, plot the pressures and times on a graph; pressures on the vertical and time on the horizontal. Color in all of the area. Measure the area of the area. This is the source of the energy that pushed the shot out of the barrel and also, pushed back on the breech, translating into recoil.

The shape of the drawing doesn't matter as much as the amount. A faster burning powder may have a higher "peak" pressure amount than a slower one, but if the slower one has a larger area, it is likely that the slower one will cause more velocity and recoil.

So a lower peak pressure load may have more recoil than a higher peak pressure load.