16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Felt wads - make or buy
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:07 am  Reply with quote

In my ongoing mission to prove to the rest of you how cheap I am I have a new question:

I have a few load data calling for 20ga 1/4" felt wads. Now these are likely to be high usage loads. My question is, worth making or just buy?

If you did make them, other than buying a 20ga punch, how would you select the right felt?

A question like this just makes me feel cheap and dirty!

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
jschultz
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:03 am  Reply with quote

I think it depends on how much time you have. All of my hunting loads use card and fiber wads and I buy my felt wads from Circle Fly. I load all brass hulls and while it takes at least twice the time, the process is more personnel than pulling a handle. I can't help you on material, but I'm sure that someone on this forum will point you in the right direction.
16'er
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:36 am  Reply with quote

http://www.durofelt.com/products.html

Came accross this recently searching ML lubes. No experience with them personally.
byrdog
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:26 am  Reply with quote

I use felt wads in shotcups to improve patterns. I bought a small set of "Arch Punches" They punch 3/8 ,1/2, 5/8, 3/4. Picked up some 3/8" and !/2" grey rag wool carpet padding and I can make any felt wad I need. the padding was .50c per sqft the punches were $40.00 have had them 20 years cut nice wads. If I need a bunch I put 3 layers together and with 8 cuts I have enough for a box

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:16 pm  Reply with quote

I use four punches, because that's what I have: a 10 ga & 12 ga I got from a friend & a 1/2" and a 3/8" I purchased at a hardware store. For wads I use Styrofoam salvaged from packages of hamburger (they were the trays that the meat was placed on for wrapping with Saranwrap). I don't have sizes that work well for a 16 bore, so the two smaller sizes get used for filler within a shotcup when I'm getting really cheap and loading 1/2 or 5/8 oz in a 16 ga.
Carlos
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:36 pm  Reply with quote

Two points;

1. 20 gauge is as near as spit to 5/8 inch. So a cheap hollow punch would work.

2. Durofelt are great to work with. Tell them what you are doing and they will help you out. Not the soft felt: Medium or hard?

3. (Bonus) I have not ever punched out felt cushion wads. I have cut the petals off regular or range pick-up wads when I wanted a bit wider patterns, or a bit more room. I have made cushion wads out of Bounty. A 1/4 sheet soaked and stuffed into a cut off shell, with a shingle nail through the primer hole to eject the wad after it has dried over a radiator. Then a quick dunk in olive oil before loading. I have punched wads from 1/8" cork sheet or even pulp egg carton.

My Over powder wads are cut from scrap cadged from a picture framing shop.

My over shot cards are punched from waxed paper milk cartons.

I load my BP loads in Magtech brass shells. I have a stock of fibre cushion wads, but need 14 gauge O/P and O/S cards. I went to a tool supply shop and bought a "General" arch punch. It is marked "11/16 18mm" It mikes .685, a bit smaller than I'd like, but they fit snugly and glue-gun fixes them.