16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Woodcock
Jbgregory
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:06 pm  Reply with quote

Opening day temp soared to the 70's in central Virginia but the second time out was worth the trip. Lt. Dan found 6 birds, I harvested 2. Going to get 1 more in before early season goes out tomorrow (Barry, come on down!)

[URL=http://s567.photobucket.com/user/2730NWayne/media/Images_zpseaa48bc4.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=http://s567.photobucket.com/user/2730NWayne/media/IMG_1420_zpsb5639985.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=http://s567.photobucket.com/user/2730NWayne/media/IMG_1421_zpsbe89c94f.jpg.html] [/URL]
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:14 pm  Reply with quote

Sweet
Thank you for sharing
Mike

Chicago
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:21 pm  Reply with quote

Nice. What is your season for woodcock?
Gordon Disharoon
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:35 pm  Reply with quote

That dog is a real looker. An English Cocker by chance?

Regards, Gordon

KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:01 am  Reply with quote

Great pics, thanks for posting them. Now I can't wait for the Woodcock season to open down here.

KB

P.S. gorgeous 16ga there. What is it exactly?
Jbgregory
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:33 am  Reply with quote

Short, early season started Monday of Thanksgiving and ends today. Back on dec 15 through January 15.
Lt. Dan was a rescue from the Midwest Chapter of the English Spinger rescue. I requested s dog with "strong prey drive". We went to meet him and he shook when looking at a gaggle of geese. $250 and the best dog I know. We have a cousin with s large, muscular GSP in Georgia that can bust cover, but Dan is more refined.

He points, has a fan tail so I assuming a setter mix of some kind. Weighs in at 52 lbs so I tell people Llewellyn but don't think those guys get lost too often. He was someone's kennel hunting dog for sure. Didn't have to teach him a thing other than staying close and he retrieves most of the time. Pheasants in IN, IL, WI, quail in GA and Woodcock in VA - pretty much rounds out upland styles. Would love to try snipe and grouse next.

Thanks for asking.
jamie
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:10 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
Short, early season started Monday of Thanksgiving and ends today. Back on dec 15 through January 15.

Hey thanks for the info on the VA woodcock season. I am up there alot visiting my son who lives in the Richmond/Glen Allen area. I would love to chase a few of my second favorite bird.

I see where you want to try snipe. I have never tried it in the coastal/wetlands up there, but down here (Mississippi/Louisiana and Alabama) it is a blast in the grass/swamp areas, as long as you have good waders and a high tolerance for gators and water moccasins.

I grew up hunting ruffed grouse in Kentucky and PA. Truly the king of game birds. I can remember virtually all of the ones that I have hunted, successful or not. Definitely try it and see what I and many others feel about hunting them.

Lt. Dan sounds like a terrific dog. My fiance is insisting that I/we get a rescue dog, and has compromised with allowing me to choose a hunting dog. I am glad to hear your very positive experiences with going that route.

Thanks for sharing.

KB

p.s. I love the Forrest Gump reference in Lt. Dan... lol.
simcgunner
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:29 pm  Reply with quote

I am down in Chesapeake. we get some woodcock down here but it seems they know to travel south before or after the season. only grouse I have seen is a six hour drive west. or way up north.
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:11 pm  Reply with quote

I love to hunt woodcock and try to hunt them when they stop over in the grouse woods for a chance at a mixed bag. I normally keep one barrel (right or bottom) of my two pipe shoot loaded with nines to go with the cylinder choke and the other barrel for tighter patterns and larger shot. Woodies get up close and they are extra fun to try and hit. When they flush move your barrels to them and they will almost stop when the choose to quickly change directions; don't marvel, pull the trigger!

The first one I ever killed was in some flooded savannah that flushed out of some palmettos at the edge of a wet hollow. I somehow let the gun, my 42 Winchester, do its thing and for once got out of its way. I admired the bird and thought he was a woodcock, so I crossed the fence to the neighbor's quail reserve and asked the huntsman what I had. "A fresh-killed woodcock in prime condition," was what I was told as he looked over my should at the gentleman behind me. "I'll take that young man to go with my supper" grinned the New Englander who was a paying guest after bobwhites that day. I told him that I didn't think I would appreciate the taste and let him have it. I made a friend that day, and I have never eaten more than the one bird I did many years ago. I make sure that I ask if I need to shoot them when I shoot for others, and invariably someone speaks up.

I was four for six birds I saw and five that I shot at on my only exposure this season, and I am very pleased to have had a go. I gave them all away to a very appreciative gourmet cook for his annual wild game supper. I watched folks enjoy them as an appetizer.

Reno

Jbgregory
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:41 pm  Reply with quote

KB - let me know if you're here over Christmas and we'll blindfold you, take you to the secret spot to shoot some birds.