16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Rio 1 ounce 16 gauge Bismuth loads
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:46 pm  Reply with quote

I've been wanting to try the Rio load but the only place I see it for sale is Able Ammo in Texas; frightfully expensive at $47/25 rounds. Has anyone used this 1 oz. #6 load on ducks; if so how well does it work? Anyone know of a lower-cost source for this load? Iv'e also looked for 16 gauge Kent Tungsten-Matrix, no luck there.

Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:57 pm  Reply with quote

I had heard on here earlier that until spring able would be the only source.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:28 pm  Reply with quote

Wolfchief wrote:
I've been wanting to try the Rio load but the only place I see it for sale is Able Ammo in Texas; frightfully expensive at $47/25 rounds. Has anyone used this 1 oz. #6 load on ducks; if so how well does it work? Anyone know of a lower-cost source for this load? Iv'e also looked for 16 gauge Kent Tungsten-Matrix, no luck there.

I don't remember who made them, but I shot 1 oz loads of Bismuth 6's for teal and they were just as deadly on mallards. I used them over decoys less than thirty yards. I paid over $40.00 for twenty rounds, so $47 for twenty five sounds about right. You will think you are shooting lead again, and on the occasion that I want to eat a duck or shoot them for others, that's my choice.

Reno

RLR390
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:50 pm  Reply with quote

Wolf,
I don't know anything about the RIO shells but I think if you find the Kent Tungsten Matrix it will cost you a lot more than $47 for 25 rds. The last I recall seeing on the shelf was around $30 for a box of 10
Beowulf
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:40 am  Reply with quote

I have used TM #5 16 ga shells in the past, but they were unavailble this fall so I bought Rio Bismuth #4 shot this year. I used them on wood ducks in the early season here in VA and they worked well. The last part of the season begin tomorrow so hopefully they will work as well on the larger mallards and black ducks.
[/URL]
Hootch
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:53 pm  Reply with quote

I have some of the 16ga bismuth, but haven't shot it yet.
Have used the 12ga bismuth loads to great effect. Very happy with it.
Suspect 16ga will be no different although they are a bit slower.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:05 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the information, I think I will buy a box or two of the Rio Bismuth to try them. Several years ago I did well with the Bismuth No-Tox 16 gauge loads but I have very few of those shells left and the only place I've found them is at gun shows once in a great while. I don't have as much confidence in the Federal 16 ga. 15/16 oz. of #2 steel loads I can get locally.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:47 pm  Reply with quote

I wasn't aware these were available. I would be very interested to hear how effective the 16ga #4 bismuth loads are on larger ducks, if anyone has first hand experience.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:19 am  Reply with quote

Shot some 16ga biz (reloads) a couple/few years ago, did well on puddle Ducks and pass shooting creeks close in but ran through my small stash of shot that someone on this board made for us pretty quickly and haven't justified replacing. I too am not a fan of the 16ga Fed steel loads, although some use them effectively, IMO, they just don't reach out with enough density or power for the type of hunting I mostly do = no dog & small canoe, need to stone them cause chasing crips can be (is) a chore.

Jeesh...for grins I ran the numbers on cost of reloading some bismuth, at current component prices it comes out about equal to that $47/box... Shocked ...I'll stick with my 10ga steel reloads at ~$0.55 a pull for quackers and honkers.

Best of luck with your hunt.

calebg
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:39 am  Reply with quote

I'd like to find some soft nontox 16ga loads in #5 or #6 for pheasants on WPAs.

Looks like Niceshot has #4, but no 5 or 6.

Kent TM appears to be a all gone.

Does anywhere have the Rio 16ga shells in stock?

If not, are there any other alternatives that work well? I've heard negative reviews of the Classic Doubles shells.
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:17 am  Reply with quote

If you are willing to reload itx-10 shot is about the cheapest you are going to get non tox, non steel. Runs about $22 per pound and 1 oz comparable loads to rio bismuth run about $1.45 or so a shell. A 1-1/8 oz load will cost you around $1.70 or so a shell.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
Little Creek
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:43 pm  Reply with quote

Several years ago I was hunting grouse near some barley fields and saw a great movement of sandhill cranes. I was hunting grouse with a M/F 16 gauge but had some bismuth with me for ducks if I chanced into them. I tried the bismuth on the big birds and it worked? I took 3 cranes with 1 ounce of #6 bismuth at 25 to possibly a little over 35 yards.

I think geese would have been much harder to bring down because of their feather/down structure.

I've shot ducks and wild pheasants with #4 and #6 bismuth and haven't lost a bird.

So, bismuth is good if you can find it.

I have a digital photo of a crane, my spaniel who made the retrieve, and a nice 16 ga. but am unsure how to post a photo here.
JonP
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:18 pm  Reply with quote

IMO...nothing crushes birds like Tungsten...but 25 shells would cost you ~$65...the Bismuth sounds like a deal.
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:30 pm  Reply with quote

Charlie16ga wrote:
If you are willing to reload itx-10 shot is about the cheapest you are going to get non tox, non steel. Runs about $22 per pound and 1 oz comparable loads to rio bismuth run about $1.45 or so a shell. A 1-1/8 oz load will cost you around $1.70 or so a shell.

You can actually get HeavyWeight13 from RSI for $21/lb when they have sales, and free shipping. I bought 30lbs of it and my final cost was $20.75 per lb. HW13 is vastly superior to ITX10. However, it's not soft, so you need to shoot it from a modernish gun with IC choke likely.
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:11 am  Reply with quote

Dave,

Your point is well taken. I understood the OP was using an older gun, but it is good to know about the heavyweight.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31