16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Mag, copper, or nickel lead shot
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:50 am  Reply with quote

Big fan of NP shot over here. I use 1oz #7 NP for all my upland hunting, re; since switching I find very little if any shot that didn't penetrate or only penetrated slightly balled up in the down feathers and fur, it's usually deep in the bird or bunny. IMO it does work better, especially in winter.

Zor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:45 am  Reply with quote

Has there been any testing done with ballistics gel or the like to compare the difference in penetration of different shot types? If NP shot is proven to kill more efficiently I'd be a bit more likely to purchase it. I do agree with going with the loads you are most confident in. I believe that when I'm confident I shoot better and I think it's the shot that counts.

In fly fishing people obsess about the most minute details of material and design and have huge varieties of flies, I just fish with 4 or 5 patterns that I'm really confident in and that I know how to fish effectively and I do just fine. I put a lot of stock in confidence in the field or on the stream.

Not to drive this even further off topic, but what do you guys store your shot in? I'm new to shotshell loading and am looking for an efficient solution for storing and pouring shot.
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:13 am  Reply with quote

Zor,

I have not got into sport shooting yet, so my largest need is early September when I reload for Dove (usually not more than 100 shells a week even during that period). If it was not for pheasant and dove season it would be hard for me to justify the cost of reloading. So understand my answer is based on the fact I hand weigh and load each shell (other than my sabot slugs in 12 ga) and I don't use a lot of product very quickly.

I convinced my wife that we needed a dehumidifier in the basement (which I've set to 45%). I moved my gun safe and reloading operation to the basement. I then store the shot, primers, and powder in color-coded tubs. Each tub has desiccant placed in it to further reduce the humidity level (this is checked once a quarter).

The wads are also placed in tubs, but no additional desiccant is included.

The bottles and bars on my Mec are for cosmetic purpose only!

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
jschultz
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:50 am  Reply with quote

zor wrote, "Not to drive this even further off topic, but what do you guys store your shot in? I'm new to shotshell loading and am looking for an efficient solution for storing and pouring shot."

I use plastic detergent bottles and after the detergent is used, I wash them out and invert until dry. I label the bottles for size and type and the pour spouts allow me to fill my press shot dispensers quickly and minimizes the chance of spilling the shot.
sneem
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:51 am  Reply with quote

[quote="Zor"]Has there been any testing done with ballistics gel or the like to compare the difference in penetration of different shot types?

The arguement on NP shot is that it is slicker and doesn't pull in feathers like hard lead shot does. Going through cleaner makes it penetrate better. People argue the point all the time. Might be true, but lead shot seems to kill them dead for me.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:33 am  Reply with quote

I was another "gullible guy" who got sucked into buying some nickel plated #6 and #7 shot for loading smaller gauge hunting loads back in the early 1990's. I too fell for the "less pilling, better penetration" BS.

I used the NP shot for loading 7/8 and one ounce 28 ga pheasant ammo. I also used #7 and #6 magnum shot in the same loads. In comparison over several hunting seasons, I found the mag shot loads performed better and seemed to drop the birds quicker. I suspect a pellet pilled up in feathers transfers a bit more shock as it penetrates due to the slightly larger frontal area and the rougher surface texture.

My conclusions. Keep it simple. Forget the NP or CP shot. Use a good grade of magnum shot in a load which is proven to perform well. Use big enough shot sizes fired at sufficient velocity to hit hard, penetrate well, and cleanly kill.

Forget the gimmicks. We don't need them if we know how to shoot and know what works.
byrdog
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:34 am  Reply with quote

I have always considered that big money target shooters would use it if it produced better paterns, they dont.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:44 am  Reply with quote

byrdog wrote:
I have always considered that big money target shooters would use it if it produced better paterns, they dont.

Target shooters might find that to be cost prohibitive. Reno

byrdog
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:56 am  Reply with quote

I think that would depend on the value level of the prizes,endorsements and bets.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
Zor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:36 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing things up on the NP vs non plated issue. Also the detergent bottle storage idea.
JNW
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:35 pm  Reply with quote

I've shot in big tournaments with guys whose guns cost more than my truck and drove to the tournament in a custom $300,000 motor home. The extra money for plated shot would be absolutely inconsequential to these folks, and they shoot well and take the game very seriously. I have never seen any one ever shoot plated shoot, even in world class FITASC tournaments. If it gave you one extra target in 1,000 these guys would shoot it!
Regards,
Jeff
putz463
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:45 am  Reply with quote

I'm not that great of a shot so I need all the gimmick's and snake oil I can get my hands on... Very Happy

For me it's not about shooting gel, breaking more clays or better patterns with the stuff, doubtful it does any of this better than non-plated. It does work for more DOA game that I don't have chase or loose since I don't hunt with a dog.

Kinda like justifying the marginal gains in carrying a 16 over a 20 in the uplands or justifying the cost of lead like non-tox over steel. Marginal, yes, but the bene's are there.

Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:06 am  Reply with quote

putz463 wrote:
I'm not that great of a shot so I need all the gimmick's and snake oil I can get my hands on... Very Happy

For me it's not about shooting gel, breaking more clays or better patterns with the stuff, doubtful it does any of this better than non-plated. It does work for more DOA game that I don't have chase or loose since I don't hunt with a dog.

Kinda like justifying the marginal gains in carrying a 16 over a 20 in the uplands or justifying the cost of lead like non-tox over steel. Marginal, yes, but the bene's are there.

That's the spirit! That's what keeps the economy going, buying more refined tools to build confidence when cheaper alternatives are available. Snake oil indeed, I'll take a case. If I am lucky enough to hit the grouse woods again this season, I will most likely load the I/C barrel with 7.5's and the Mod barrel with 6's. 7/8 oz loads of nickle plated shot. How in the world can a grouse fly through that? Makes no sense at all; in fact that's a dare that I hope the grouse gods will honor.

Reno