16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Powder Supply & Demand
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:58 pm  Reply with quote

GWP wrote:
...Not all that many years ago gas was $1.50 per gallon but people are still buying it at $4. What is the regular price then? The news stations were excited in our area when it dropped below $3.

It's true that people kept buying gas at $4, but there was a hell of a lot less driving and a lot of low mpg vehicles being traded in for higher mpg vehicles. We in Maine saw some drop in tourism when gas went up.

I'm not begrudging anyone who wants to spent $30 or more for a pound of powder. I think it's encouraging dealers to post those kinds of prices, even though as the post upthread noted they got 8-pounders for under $120 within the last couple months. Those same 8-pounders can and will be scalped on GB or elsewhere for $200 or even $300. It's just that I won't spend that kind of money when I know it's a gouge.
\
YMMV
GWP
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:52 pm  Reply with quote

And that is your option. I had an unopened pound that I mentioned to a friend. He asked what I wanted. I said "Whatever the going price is". He gave me $32 and thanked me a number of times for selling him ANY powder. I made $7 on the deal. Should I return the $7 to him? I did not remember what I paid until I looked it up.
Gil S
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:00 am  Reply with quote

Here's Hodgdon's explanation for the shortages:
https://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Web%20Page%20Buying%20Surge.pdf
IDcut
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:49 am  Reply with quote

I was at one of our local sporting goods stores last week and they had a fair amount of powder on the shelf, mainly powders for reloading centerfire rifles. However, they did have some shotgun powders, particularly, an ample supply of Longshot. I think it was selling in the $24.00/lb range. I didn't buy any, but I may go back and pick up a couple of lbs.

I was talking to one of the long time employees and he said he had an order in for 2000lbs of powder, which he figured he'd be getting in within the next few weeks. All the powders were up in price from pre-shortage days by a few dollars. While talking to him he said that the store was the 2nd largest seller of, I think he the Alliant branded powders, nationally, so he was hoping that might help to influence positively, the fulfillment of his powder orders.
rkittine
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:59 am  Reply with quote

I was able to find a good supply of 800-X yesterday. A pound was $21.95 and 4 pounds was $80.00. Not sure how that stacks up but I was just glad I found it. I am supposed to get 8 pounds of Red Dot tomorrow from the same guy.

Bob

Last edited by rkittine on Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:51 am  Reply with quote

I have yet to see Longshot or Unique on sale anywhere for well over a year. Luckily I found a pound of longhsot from a kind gentleman on this site. The demand problem wouldn't be such an issue if people would limit themselves to a pound or two when it is available. A little self restraint is in order in my opinion.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:26 am  Reply with quote

UDF - even unique has been showing up around here at a reasonable rate . I left 3 lbs at Louies sitting there a couple weeks ago - just didn't NEED it then . Alliant has been showing up more regularly . Talked to them about testing (not) last week and the tech again reaffirmed that most of the powder was going to ammo , but that has eased up. Hodgdon is what we can't get no matter what they say .... My FFL sez his cost of powder has NOT changed in a few yrs ! ... We are lucky here , many shooters ok supply . But , I've even been tempted myself to Grab a GB JACKING just to be sure I had slower speed powder . Fortunately also that my RedDot/700X trials for small ga have worked out so I didn't have to bite on the gouge . Not everyone is so lucky .... 12/20 ga ammo - eveyone has got .16ga - no one has got and we can't import to this state , so D-I-M is somewhat correct on his assessment , just not 16ga !

A5Mag12
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:28 am  Reply with quote

There is over 15 million pounds of what's called M-6 military grade propellant over at Camp Minden they made and didn't need and are fixing to burn it all. It's made by the powder company's which make me wonder how much powder for reloading could have been made instead of this waste.