16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Steel Shot
chopper
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:09 pm  Reply with quote

Found this article and thought, if you have yet to read it, you may find it as interesting as I did.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fwt/back_issues/september01/article5.html

Gander Mtn has Federal 16ga 15/16oz #2 steel on sale right now for $5.xx per box. Anyone ever shot these at a pattern board?
87016ga
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:51 am  Reply with quote

chopper:
not only have i shot them at a patterning board, but also pheasants, the ultimate "patterning board".
my preference is for KENT T/M if i need no-tox for my 870.
bismuth is choice #2.
granitecityminnesota
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:42 pm  Reply with quote

Chopper u better go buy all the shells they have at that price............I just called the Gander Mountain in St.Cloud MN......the want $15.00 a box for 16ga steel shot #2's....... Evil or Very Mad
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:54 pm  Reply with quote

Most of the information contained in Roster's and CONSEP's findings was based on steel shells made years ago. Back then the only loads available were slow steel loads, since that time it has been found that fast steel (over 1500 fps) is much more effective on waterfowl, or any kind of fowl for that matter. There is not enough pellet count in the 15/16 oz #2 steel load to give an adequate or affective pattern from a 16 ga, you may get lucky but in the long run your better off with #4 steel in that light a loading. I use the Federal factory #4 steel loads for decoying work early in the season on ducks, they work well enough out to 30 yards or so. If you think you can make 50 yard shots with slow #2 steel loads then you are sadly mistaken unless you shoot it as I do through a 10 ga at 1650 fps (reloads). For that price they might do well enough for shorter range duck work, but don't depend on those shells for anything over 40 yards.
chopper
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:13 am  Reply with quote

I don't believe I've shot at a pheasant over 40 yds in my life. And really I prefer not to...(never hunted ducks Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad )

I believe the effective range stated in the article was about 30-35yds max. I don't shoot steel now any ways. I've been using the Kent TM.