16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Reloading question
bigboyd4466
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:59 pm  Reply with quote

+1 on the P/W 375C , it's a beast . I want an 800plus for my target loads . And yes , Mr Cook , home rolled ammo will typically pattern much better than factory with some experimentation . 5s are a bitch to find in a store , but it's my go-to hunting shot size , even in my Nice Shot rounds . Simple , relaxing solution was to load my own .

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:19 pm  Reply with quote

Dr. Cook -- You say:

1. "reloading non-toxic also is of interest"
2. "Monetary payback for me would be measured in years"
3. "I do enjoy crafting my own ammo."
4. "Building precision ammo is interesting to me."

You are definitely the reloading type. So do it. You will enjoy it, especially with the 16.

And a MEC is never the wrong choice. They are the most popular for good reason: Best crimp and cartridge handling systems out there, great manuals and factory support, great prices. I strongly recommend the 600 Jr or 700. They've been around forever, and are still being made. It has all the capability you'll ever need unless you want to load 400 per hour. It's easy to find a used one, and easy to change the dies. Some folks like to denigrate the ring-type resizer of the 600, but it really does do a great job if set up properly, and that set-up is as simple as spacing it away from the base of the machine by the thickness of a credit card so it resizes all the way down, but doesn't crush the rim of the shell.

The 600 or 700 is the best at allowing you to feel what you're doing at every step, and offers greatest flexibility in your processes. You will, for example, discover this when loading non-toxic and large shot hunting loads, as you will need to weigh every shot charge, since shot larger than 6's often bridges and blocks, and meters inconsistently in the small passages all loading machines have. Weighing charges for low volume reloading (a few boxes at a time) is no problem. Just use a dipper and a digital scale -- you'll need a scale anyway, and no doubt you have one from your other reloading. Anyway, for a batch of shells, you can de-prime, re-prime, charge with powder and ram the wads, and stop there. Then you can go about the task of weighing and charging with shot and crimping. With some powders, you will find a bench-type powder measure does a better and more adjustable powder drop than any shotshell reloader will. You probably have one already for rifle cartridges. In those cases, especially with non-toxic shot, I simply do not use the charge bar and do all my shot and powder charge measuring and dropping as a separate operation. You can still move along at a good clip. Anyway, you get the idea, and a manual reloader like the 600/700 is best for that.

Sorry this got long. I do not work for MEC, never have, but have used a wide variety of their machines and some of other brands for 50 years. I own 5 MEC 9000's and 7 600/700's, all in different gauges. I load about 10,000 shotshells a year for registered skeet, and also load the great majority of my hunting shells. I used to load more.

Join the "Low Pressure Reloading Group" for lots of data on tested 16 gauge loads.

Best wishes in your reloading. PM with any question.

Tony Lowe