16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Loading 2.5" ammo.
JNW
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:16 am  Reply with quote

All kinds of sissies drink highland scotch. Manly men drink real scotch from the western islands. Laphroaig is one of God's greatest gifts to mankind. If you don't like Islay scotch might I recommend a nice, fruity white wine spritzer?
Regards,
Jeff

Last edited by JNW on Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:16 am  Reply with quote

Make mine a Talisker please!
Roadkill
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:05 pm  Reply with quote

A few years back I bought a bottle of Laphroaig to see if I could acquire a taste for the stuff. Didn't work.
I'll pass on the fruity white wine spritzer, but thanks for the advice Very Happy
Doggai
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:48 pm  Reply with quote

As seen in my previous of a week ago, getting several bottles of SMS free makes them all the more smoooooooooooooth. Since it's Saturday afternoon and surely it must be 5 PM somewhere even though here in MN there is no sun to get over the yardarm, I gonna have one just to remind myself what hard work, loyalty and integrity will do to an otherwise honest, sober and humble man.

Browning Double Auto Twelvette
Browning Double Auto Twentyweight
Remington 1100 12 2 barrels
Charles Daly SxS 28
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:33 pm  Reply with quote

Since I drink only very moderately, that bottle of Laphroaig(sp) that I bought about 30 years ago is still over 1/2 full, but then I'm a half full kind of guy. As for white wine- I drink it only when I succumb to my wife's desire for something lighter than the opaque reds.
Carlos
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

I'm working on a bottle of Welsh whiskey. Brand name is PENDERYN, the only current whiskey distiller in Wales. Their website says that Welsh distillers who immigrated to America began the Bourbon tradition. I can get it here in British Columbia, but UK duty free shops have it, if you are a World Traveller.
putz463
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:09 am  Reply with quote

I'm w/16D on the washers if for nothing else peace of mind regarding untouched primer faces.

sorry for promoting the derailment...As a fan of the Islay whiskies... I'd suggest before judging Laproaige too harshly try and find some of their longer aged expressions. The 10yr "gateway" Laphroaig can be a bit of a kick in the teeth. If you enjoy SM's try and find a bottle (or an establishment that pours some) of their other expressions. I'm reasonably certain the adventure will "augment" any ideas regarding Laphroaig SM's.

back on track...I use misc washers for both 16 & 10ga folded shorties, works well, & adds diversity + I dont have to readjust the final station especially when toggling to a batch of the shorter RGL hulls.

So many shotguns/whiskeys, so little time.... Very Happy

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:12 am  Reply with quote

Scotch is for "girly men".........Bourbon is for those of us that have taste buds and testicles!!!

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:47 pm  Reply with quote

I'm liking Jim Beam rye lately, though I had a Knob Creek bourbon the other day and it was pretty good, though a little sweetish.

Shootingsioux:
and the UK's shilling often passed for a W. German mark, even in vending machines and video games. When I was stationed over there, back in the pre-Euro days, I occasionally got in change a bob instead of a mark.
People don't really look at their change much any more. About a year ago, I got a 1912 Liberty-Head nickel in change. When I showed it to my co-workers, none of them knew what it was.
Roadkill
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:49 pm  Reply with quote

putz463 wrote:

sorry for promoting the derailment...As a fan of the Islay whiskies... I'd suggest before judging Laproaige too harshly try and find some of their longer aged expressions. The 10yr "gateway" Laphroaig can be a bit of a kick in the teeth. If you enjoy SM's try and find a bottle (or an establishment that pours some) of their other expressions. I'm reasonably certain the adventure will "augment" any ideas regarding Laphroaig SM's.

I may try that. There must be something to the stuff, they sell a lot of it.
It wasn't a kick in the teeth, more like a stomp on the taste buds Shocked
I load short 16ga on my 9000G but I pull the shells after the shot drop station, put them in a loading block, then when it's full, take them to the drill press and roll-crimp them. First couple stations, hull length is not important.
Carlos
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

Roadkill wrote:
putz463 wrote:

I may try that. There must be something to the stuff, they sell a lot of it.
It wasn't a kick in the teeth, more like a stomp on the taste buds Shocked
I load short 16ga on my 9000G but I pull the shells after the shot drop station, put them in a loading block, then when it's full, take them to the drill press and roll-crimp them. First couple stations, hull length is not important.

That's about what I do. I keep loading sessions separate from whiskey sippin'. Like women, all whiskey is beautiful, just that some is moreso than others
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:51 pm  Reply with quote

Dave in Maine -- The shilling was kept as the 5 Pence coin when they went from the 240 (old) pence per pound system to the current 100 new pence per pound. The shilling was 20 to the pound - 12 of their old pence, and it became the 5 new pence coin, still 20 to the pound. They never took the shilling coin out of circulation when they went to the new system. They just started stamping a coin of the same size and weight as 5 new pence. You'll still see an old shilling now and then. It might have been the shilling/5P coin we used in the vending machine. I thought the 2P copper was closer in size to the 2 DM.

Hey, now that I looked at current coinage of the UK, it seems while I wasn't looking, they ditched the shilling -sized 5p and replaced it with a much smaller coin. So now that the Germans have got the Euro coins, and we can no longer have Shillings, I guess we can't drain their bank system via the vending machines. There goes my retirement plan. Nuts!
Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:53 pm  Reply with quote

Speaking of spirits, why do we wax rhapsodic over the subtle nuances of Scotch and bourbon, yet hardly a mention is made of the one true great original American whiskey, which of course we know simply as Rye?
greg
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:46 am  Reply with quote

Does this imply that the old western "who wants change for a dollar in dimes" a from a 12 ga is unlawful. Is this a treasury
Violation or ATF violation? We must seek out a suitable foreign coin that matches
16 ga and come up with a load.