16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  "Friends" that treat your guns improperly?
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:37 am  Reply with quote

Ted , why chase mom away .... NOISE !

old colonel
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:46 pm  Reply with quote

For years i kept a beater gun 20 gauge OU BLNE specifically as a loaner gun in case one was needed. I regret parting with it as it was good policy.

I have never had an issue loaning a gun because I have never loaned one I could not afford to lose on

bearman49709
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:29 am  Reply with quote

[quaway from shooting. I wish I could get my wife more interested in being outdoors with us, and more interested in shooting. I married her because I like having her around!
If someone new or inexperienced to the sport came to you for help learning, and borrowing a gun to shoot to learn if the sport was for them, why would you brutalize them by giving them a gun you knew would hurt them?
Also, over the years I have been priviledged to introduce some hesitant mothers and their gun safety training student kids to shooting, and can say the experience made me a better person. The two model 500s I have are the perfect loaners and training guns, safety in the correct place, easy function, not much outlay on my part (one was free!). Load 'em up with Winchester Featherlites, and get people started right.ote="Ted Schefelbein"]
bearman49709 wrote:
Two Pipe Shoot wrote:
We keep a mossberg 500 3.5" 12 and a box of 3.5" sixes as a downpour/ loaner gun for use on our hunts only, no traveling. You shoot that one a time or two and you won't borrow it again. Reno

Who did you get to convert that 500 to shoot 3.5" and how much did it cost?

I feel sorry for most of you, your friends and relatives must be some real winners. I've borrowed and loaned cars, trucks, four wheelers,guns,tools.chainsaws and lawn mowers for over forty years never had one regret.

I think he meant Mossberg model 835. Not much different than a model 500, save 3 1/2" chamber. My Dad had one, my Brother and I sold it after Dad passed away. Recoil was pretty brutal with 3 1/2" ammunition.

I think he meant Mossberg 535, a 3 1/2" version of the 500. The 835 is a bigger gun all around that has a 10 ga bore diameter barrel, it is also heavier.
Bill K
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:16 am  Reply with quote

I don't loan out guns for long term however, I typically bring an extra gun when I go on a hunt - just in case my primary gun fails, or someone needs to borrow a gun for the duration of the occasion (their gun fails, or they forget their trigger lock keys, etc.).

Most people I shoot with know how to respect a sporting arm, but even still I spend a moment with them politely explaining how I expect the arm to be handled.

Allowing someone to borrow a gun for an extended period isn't a wise policy.

I believe owning a firearm is part of the price of admission in order to play in the shooting sports, it is a luxury item and if you can't afford one then you can't afford to play.
mc15426378
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:17 pm  Reply with quote

Years back I had a nice 12 ft flat bottom aluminum boat and decent 7.5 hp motor.
Perfect for one guy to fish small ponds/lakes/rivers. Trailer was in good shape with good tires and working lights. Caught many a fish out of that boat.

My cousin (who I now duck hunt with) asked to borrow the boat for use in duck hunting. He had 4 kids and not much extra money so I agreed to him borrowing the boat with the stipulation that he take extra good care of the setup and would return it to me after duck season was over.

Well.......2+ years later I happen to be at his house, see this crappy 12 ft v hull boat on a beat to hell & back trailer. I ask where he got the boat/trailer. He says well that's your boat/trailer......I swapped your flat bottom boat for the v hull which is better for duck hunting, but your motor is in the trash.....hit a stump and tore the lower unit off. Needless to say I was not a happy camper with what he had done, nor even asked for my ok or told me about till I discovered his trade.

We're like brothers so I forgave him....eventually...but no more loaning him anything.
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:03 pm  Reply with quote

I loaned my brother-in-law a very good set of extra long jumper cables and promptly forgot about them until 2-years later when I saw them in the back of his truck bed, totally weathered by the sun and the elements. No gun loans for him. No boats either.

Last edited by Lloyd3 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gil S
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:49 pm  Reply with quote

Just this Christmas a buddy told me a "brother" story. Over the recent holidays, Jerry's neighbor planned a big low country boil, oyster roast and boiled crab feast for his work staff of several dozen folks. He had a ton of fresh seafood for the guests. Two hours before the event,he went to the garage where he keeps his big pots,pans and burners for such occasions. Gone. His brother had come by his house earlier in the week and took them to Texas for cooking without asking his brother. Jerry, being the good neighbor and guy that he is, had similar equipment and on a minute's notice went over with his equipment and saved the day and did all the cooking. His neighbor is still steamed at his brother.
Gamekeeper
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:41 am  Reply with quote

I'm always suspicious of anyone who has to borrow anything! If I ain't got what I need, I buy it or do without. As for lending someone a GUN, not a chance.

wellshooter
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:11 am  Reply with quote

Neither borrower or lender be.

16 ga. Citori White Lightning
3- 16 ga. Remington M 31's
16 ga. Ithaca M 37 Featherlight
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:01 am  Reply with quote

Here is my "loaner".

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/48917_600x400/] [/URL]

I got it from a former Hell's Outcast motorcycle gang member. It was in his father's estate, and left to Mike while Mike was in prison. Mike actually came out of prison a reformed man, divorced his meth addled wife, got a job, and got down to raising his two kids. But, he can't own guns, and Mike gave it to me, and just said he never wanted to see it again.

The finish on the stock is flat black paint, covered with automotive chip guard. The barrel is a replacement, 28" fixed modified choke, purchased when some wholesaler was clearing them out for about $28 a piece. Sharp eyed members will spot the military issue metal trigger group, that came from a childhood friend who was an armourer in the USMC, he actually tuned it and gave it to me. You can't really see it, but, the gun has a Wolf Creek powdered metal safety, that is easier to manipulate than the plastic unit that comes stock on a model 500.
It is a bird and target crushing machine. It has slept in duck boats, in rain and sub zero temps, under the stars, in Canada and Alaska. I don't worry about scratches. It gets cleaned, by me, when it gets dirty, no matter who gets it dirty.

Yes it is ugly, but, I don't care. I have other guns that are pretty.

I have a few friends who have lost just about everything in divorces. I've got another who lost his business in the last turndown of the economy, and while he doesn't hunt, he will meet me for a round of trap. He no longer owns a gun, and uses this one. He doesn't complain about it. I use it when I'm hunting in strange territory, a long way from home, or in the company of strangers, usually friends of my friends. Oh, if I know I'll be hunting with a labrador retriever that day, I take this gun or an equally ugly A5 with a synthetic stock-I've never seen a well behaved lab, they seem to think they have to jump in the car and step all over everything in it.

I've got a safe with room for two dozen guns. It is full. Most of my friends have their own stuff, but, I've got room for a loaner, and have more than a few people in my life who's company I treasure enough to provide them with a gun to use, if they need it.

I really hope I have some friends that feel the same way about me, if my life suddenly goes into a tailspin that it takes me a while to recover from.

God forbid.

Best,
Ted

Last edited by Ted Schefelbein on Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lloyd3
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:19 am  Reply with quote

Good story Ted. It boils down to this: some folks are worthy of loaners and some aren't, irregardless of life's ups and downs.

k357
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:13 pm  Reply with quote

AmericanMeet wrote:
I've just red a posting where a gunowner loaned a high quality gun to a friend, only to have the gun returned with extensive surface rust. While I haven't had anyone return a gun rusted I have had people misuse some of my guns in the following ways:
1. Hunter education student opens cylinder on M29 then spins the cylinder and flips his wrist to snap the cylinder shut. Behaviors learned from TV.
2. Hunter education student opens break action shotgun then to close it whips the gun to snap the action closed. Student said his uncle said that was the way to make sure the action was closed.

Both of these students became examples to the class as to how to fail.

and the worst in my book,

A friend of my dads borrowed his 300 Weatherby for an out of state elk hunt he was taking. this was in the early 60's when 300 magnums were scarce. On returning from the hunt he brought the rifle by the house, during the day. Dad was at work, so mom told the friend to put the rifle back in the gun cabinet. When my dad got home that evening he went out to the gun cabinet, picked the rifle up, opened and action and a live chambered round ejected across the room. Three more rounds were in the magazine. Fortunately for my dad's safe habits, no one was injured in this event. the friend never got to borrow a rifle again.
Treat my guns like that & chances are you' ll not handle them again.
k357
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:16 pm  Reply with quote

Ted Schefelbein wrote:
Here is my "loaner".

I got it from a former Hell's Outcast motorcycle gang member. It was in his father's estate, and left to Mike while Mike was in prison. Mike actually came out of prison a reformed man, divorced his meth addled wife, got a job, and got down to raising his two kids. But, he can't own guns, and Mike gave it to me, and just said he never wanted to see it again.

The finish on the stock is flat black paint, covered with automotive chip guard. The barrel is a replacement, 28" fixed modified choke, purchased when some wholesaler was clearing them out for about $28 a piece. Sharp eyed members will spot the military issue metal trigger group, that came from a childhood friend who was an armourer in the USMC, he actually tuned it and gave it to me. You can't really see it, but, the gun has a Wolf Creek powdered metal safety, that is easier to manipulate than the plastic unit that comes stock on a model 500.
It is a bird and target crushing machine. It has slept in duck boats, in rain and sub zero temps, under the stars, in Canada and Alaska. I don't worry about scratches. It gets cleaned, by me, when it gets dirty, no matter who gets it dirty.

I have a few friends who have lost just about everything in divorces. I've got another who lost his business in the last turndown of the economy, and while he doesn't hunt, he will meet me for a round of trap. He no longer owns a gun, and uses this one. He doesn't complain about it. I use it when I'm hunting in strange territory, a long way from home, or in the company of strangers, usually friends of my friends. Oh, if I know I'll be hunting with a labrador retriever that day, I take this gun or an equally ugly A5 with a synthetic stock-I've never seen a well behaved lab, they seem to think they have to jump in the car and step all over everything in it.

I've got a safe with room for two dozen guns. It is full. Most of my friends have their own stuff, but, I've got room for a loaner, and have more than a few people in my life who's company I treasure enough to provide them with a gun to use, if they need it.

I really hope I have some friends that feel the same way about me, if my life suddenly goes into a tailspin that it takes me a while to recover from.

God forbid.

Best,
Ted

That's a NICE lookin gun !
k357
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:31 pm  Reply with quote

My brother, his girlfriend & my girlfriend are the only people I let handle my guns let alone let them shoot them... And my brother & his girlfriend have their own & are just as fussy as I am. And one of the most stupid & DANGEROUS things I've ever seen anybody do was when one friend of mine handed an acquaintance their Springfield XD pistol to check out after ensuring it was clear by dropping the mag locking the slide & ensuring it had an empty chamber. The other friend looked it over then grabbed the mag shoved it in the well & went to drop the slide & I hit the floor & yelled "DROP THAT MAG" & he did & my friend grabbed the mag & gun ! Obviously this person didn't understand gun safety !
manofthewoods
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:38 am  Reply with quote

Ted Schefelbein wrote:
Here is my "loaner".

God forbid.

Best,
Ted

Well said. your last sentence reminds me of the native American proverb "walk a mile in another man's moccasins." Or, empathy. If loaning a firearm to someone who would be safe with said firearm is what preserves a friendship or maintains someone's ability to be out in the field - I'd do it. Would I loan my "best" O/U? No, but a friend wouldn't let me loan it to them anyway. I'm not particularly religious, but, not a day goes by where I don't think; but, before the grace of God go I.

My last point is related to the general point of the post. Reminds me of dinner china. Some people have fine china and never use it. My wife and I have a philosophy that says, someday everything WILL break. Will it break in my lifetime? Or, as a hand me down? I want to enjoy the china and, and if a piece breaks it was meant to be. No crying over it. I have a nasty scratch in the wood of my "duck" gun. An 1187 12ga that I put a trap wood on that is quite nice. I remember exactly how I got that scratch while hunting with my dog. Do I wish that the scratch wasn't there? Of course. But, then I'd have to have not gone hunting. I know if I never take the guns out of the safe I'll not have to "worry" about them. Of course I won't collect any stories either.

I'd rather have the hunting stories 'cause someday (sooner than I'd like) I won't be able to hunt - having a bunch of "pretty" guns that I've not "scratched." Won't make for memories or stories.

my 2 pennies (which ain't worth much Wink )