16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Need Factory 2 3/4" Spreader Loads
wahoo
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:20 pm  Reply with quote

Hello, I'm both new to 16 gauge and this forum. This is my first post. I am not a shotgun shell reloader thus I need to buy my stuff off the shelf. Currently I'm searching for some 2 3/4" spreader loads in #7 1/2 or 8.

My first 16 ga. recently aquired is a SXS choked tight and tighter. I have an oportunity to do some presearve qual hunting soon, and hope to carry my new 6.4 lb. double. Later, I will likely send it off for choke tubes to be installed since I intend for this to be my upland game gun. For now though, I thought to try out some "spreader" loads on the Full choke bbl in hopes I can make due with things as is. The only spreader loads I've found so far at 2 1/2" length. My gun is chambered for 2 3/4" shells. I've been advised to not use the shorter shells in my gun. Can anyone point me towards these loads in 2 3/4"? Thanks

Best regards
3birddogs
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:22 pm  Reply with quote

Wahoo, no problem at all shooting 2 1/2 in your 2 3/4 gun, it is the converse that is sometimes a problem. Polywad makes spreader loads, I believe they are in georgia. I load my own. What kind of SXS do you have? You may just consider having the chokes opened up to your desire--cheaper than choke tubes, and wont change the dynamics of the gun.
I believe RST also makes spreaders, they are 2 1/2. I dont know of any others, but I am sure others will chime in. Good luck

Savage16
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:34 pm  Reply with quote

Wahoo-welcome to the site. Where are you from?
If your double happens to be "vintage",polywad also makes a shell called the doublewide which combines a sreader with low pressure.
www.polywad.com
www.rstshells.com

skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:01 pm  Reply with quote

Hello wahoo
Welcome on your first posting

Not shoot short ammo on your SXS, wonder why anyone would advise that?

What gun are you talking about?

I shoot short ammo in my SXS, O/Us and pumps.
I do not shoot short ammo in my autos, yet.

Mike

wahoo
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:03 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

This 16 ga. is a 1947 vintage BRNO (Czech) side lock. I'm a fan of BRNO firearms in general and have collected some nice rimfire rifles made by them. Knowing first hand how well they built firearms, I was very happy to gain one in a SXS. There appear to be a few for sale in 12 ga. stateside, but this is the first one I've come across inn 16 gauge this side of the pond.

My intent is to use it for both traditional upland game as well as fresh wtr duck I might encounter wading through the swamp and low ground here in eastern NC; thus the reason for considering choke tubes. If I ever get the chance to hunt pheasnt or other birds that flush far out, I will still want at least a modified BBL, and the woodcock or qual will always be possible in real close while unting through the brush, thus the open chokes are desired for those cases.

You addressed the use of 2 1/2" shells in the 2 3/4" chamber as being just fine. That seemed to be reasonable to me as well, given the acceptable use of 2 3/4" shells in a 3" chamber generally speaking. I'm going off what I was told by an outfit I'm familiar with that deals with "Best" quality and classic doubles. I just want to be sure I'm not going to do anything to risk this one I have now. My experience with firearms is predominantly with rifles and handguns, only limited hunting over the years with 12 ga. semi-autos and pump shotguns. Getting into properly fitted double guns is a "bucket list" thing. I came across a very fine early 60's Browning Superposed 12 ga. last fall and had it fitted. That fills the void for an O/U, and now this BRNO meets the SXS nitch. After having shot this 16 ga while verifing BBL regulation, I'm officially in love the 16 ga now! Anyways, thanks again for your suggestions. Best regards.
Carlos
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:53 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome to the Forum, Wahoo.