16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Roll Crimpers on Sale
renaudnw
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:21 pm  Reply with quote

I just thought that I'd mention it for those who are interested. At Precision Reloading the roll crimpers that are normally $25.99 are on sale for $20.99. See the link here:

http://www.precisionreloading.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=PRE&Category_Code=ROLL_CRIMPER&utm_source=June+2013+Specials&utm_campaign=JUNE2013.Specials+CC&utm_medium=email

Matt

Nothing makes a gun more effective than practice.
matt
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:52 pm  Reply with quote

Are the precision reloading roll crimpers better than the bpi ones? I bought the bpi ones and have not been very happy with them, it seems like they tear up the hull when you use them.
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:31 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads-up.

IMO the PR tools are much better than the BPI tools. Re; the BPI tools have one steel roll pin that contacts the the hull mouth where the PR tools have 3 milled grooves creating 3 contact points. Very much like the old Lyman tools. The 3 contact points make a smooth and even crimp by building up and transferring heat more evenly than the 1 contact point + the single contact point of the BPI roll pin can wobble especially if doing by hand w/a hand drill, in a drill press its a little more controlled but still not optimal. The BPI tools work but the PR tools are simpler/easier to work with.

The only BPI tool I've found to work as well as the PR tools is their 20ga tool w/the pin removed, works perfectly on 24ga hulls without having to go abroad for one.

My rig; a bench top drill press from a pawn shop set at low ~250rpm, a MEC SuperSizer bolted to the base acts as re-sizing station and hull vise + a few PR RC tools, and what works best for my process is to touch the flame tip of a propane torch to the rotating RC tool for ~5-10 seconds (hot cup of coffee hot) at the start of RC'ing session, works flawlessly.

Again, thanks for the heads-up...

bbrown
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:15 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up. It is pretty sad that the $5 off finally convinced me to take the plunge. Looking forward to trying it out. Picked up some more DR16s and some overshot cards while I was at it.

Thanks!

Ben

1 Tim 1:15
Gil S
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:32 pm  Reply with quote

I ordered a .410 crimper. Thanks for the heads up. I have a BP .410 crimper and it seems to be okay; however, the steel is so soft that the jaws of my electric hand drill pressed the shaft of the crimper into a triangular shape.
Doggai
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:15 pm  Reply with quote

In my opinion, (I have 4 BPI rc tools) the Precision Reloading tool referred to in this thread is superior to the BPI. And at a price low enough that I am going to own another two rc tools. Reloading stuff is like sex, one can never have enough.

In fact, my 70 year old BGI hand crank tools are superior to the BPI. The difference is the BPI has only one curling pin in its crimping device. All the others have at least 3 and some have 4 pins.

And the price of the PR tool is substantially lower than the BPI.

Browning Double Auto Twelvette
Browning Double Auto Twentyweight
Remington 1100 12 2 barrels
Charles Daly SxS 28
byrdog
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:55 pm  Reply with quote

I have the 10,12,&16 tools from PR and they work very well in a small drill press . I found that after doing about 25 rounds they wear in and with a tiny bit of "Pam" on the tool every 10 rounds or so the results are impressive.
putz463
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:47 am  Reply with quote

Whoops, my bad Embarassed for the sake of clarity my PR tools all have 4 grooves/contact points not 3. Regardless, loaded up some target rounds last night and they work great.

Doggai
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:23 am  Reply with quote

Thanks, byrdog. That's a good tip about spraying the roller with Pam once in a while. I noticed my BGI tool gets a little tough to turn and never thought of your tip. I'll try it.

Browning Double Auto Twelvette
Browning Double Auto Twentyweight
Remington 1100 12 2 barrels
Charles Daly SxS 28
Wdewpolldeop
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:06 am  Reply with quote

What I read I really liked it. Thank you for your information!