16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Made a mistake….not sure how big
Brums
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:14 pm  Reply with quote

Started reloading using Spread_R wads, but made mistake of not subtracting 1/8 oz of lead as directed. I thought the load recipe my friend sent me had already done that….I was wrong. Glad I checked with him.

Here is what I loaded:

Federal Hulls
25gr of 4756
WAA 16 wad
1 oz #8

I should have loaded 7/8 oz of lead and the Spread_R disc instead of 1 oz and the Spread_R disc. I loaded 55 of them. They crimped well and look good, however I know that this would increase the pressure of the load. I know this is a low pressure load anyway, but I am worried about what this would do to the pressure. Any thoughts? I shoot an Ugartechea. Do I need to get out the razor blade and save the components?
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:17 pm  Reply with quote

I haven't weighed one, but I'd think that the increase would be similar to that much of an increase in the shot column. Compare what the pressure is for the same powder/etc with the additional weight of the plastic.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:39 pm  Reply with quote

That load is listed at 8500 PSI, in the Hodgdon data. Adding the spreader is not going to raise the pressure over 11,500 PSI.

The reason for less shot is to achieve the proper wad column height. The plus is there will be no increase in chamber pressure, which means that the spreader manufacturer can be lazy, cheap and not produce loading data.

The weight of the plastic is not a consideration.

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:56 pm  Reply with quote

I read the Spred-R advice the same way Mark DC47 apparently does. First of all, I find Spred-R's advice ambiguous. I think they meant to take out 1/8 oz of shot for fit reasons. I do not reduce my shot charges when I use Spred-R's. I don't load Spred-R's in loads with pressures posted right up against SAAMI limits. It seems likely the Spred-R can only increase peak pressures, but it also seems unlikely it can increase pressures enough to hazard a gun that meets proof, or SAAMI criteria, even if they go over SAAMI limits. i.e. is a Spred-R going to take you further than a 18,000 psi proof load or anything close to that? And no, I'm not saying I'll accept as "OK to shoot" anything up to 18,000 psi or whatever the proof load is.
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:30 am  Reply with quote

I agree and understand the data as well in that it's purely a volume and not a pressure thing using the PW inserts. I use em & love em.