16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  WTB 16 Gauge Side by Side
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:41 pm  Reply with quote

Bob,

Welcome to the SxS, the sportiest way to shoot. SxS's as a subset to "shotguns" are like flyrods are to all other fishing rods/poles/methods. SxS's seem a little different and thus maybe a bit intimidating, but it's no trick to get the hang of it. Get a slim one, and you'll learn to love the feel. And don't be put off by a double trigger gun. Seriously, a couple of rounds of skeet or sporties will make it seem so natural you'll forget all about it. Don't think you have to worry about learning barrel selection either, especially not at first. Most people never get around to doing that, its just front trigger and then rear, and that is appropriate for nearly every game situation. Just for perspective, very few people can select a barrel after the shot presents itself when using selectable single trigger guns. Anyway, have fun. Pick a price range and buy a gun you'll love. All the suggestions on this thread have been good. If you must have pistol grips and single triggers, have you thought about a CSMC RBL in 16? They can be pretty nice, and configured straight grip or pistol, single trigger or double, beavertail or splinter. There are used ones about.

Cheers!
Tony
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:11 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Bob -- Have you considered TwoPipeShoot's (Reno) Francotte? Seems like a pretty good deal to me. Just a thought. I do not know Reno, and have no interest in the procedings on that gun.
rkittine
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:12 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Guys, I will look into both of those SxS.

I forgot about Connecticut Shot Guns and now that they have a location in Greenwich, I could also stop in at Eurochasse where I got my Cynergy and see what he has , since he has a great selection.

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
Sporting Days
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:26 am  Reply with quote

Take a look at the new Fausti Dea sxs 16. It meets all of your prerequisites -- single trigger, screw-in chokes, etc.
rkittine
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:54 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks, I looked at their web site. Also looked at what was around used as, new they are more than I wanted to spend.

Bob

GWP
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:29 am  Reply with quote

"Don't think you have to worry about learning barrel selection either, especially not at first. Most people never get around to doing that, its just front trigger and then rear, and that is appropriate for nearly every game situation. Just for perspective, very few people can select a barrel after the shot presents itself when using selectable single trigger guns."

I can't tell you how many times when my wife and I are out shooting and hunting I have found her shotgun switched to the 'upper' barrel first of her O/U. I should probably just reverse the chokes or put the same one in both barrels. She shoots well too!

I have a Dickinson DT and like it. The triggers could be lightened a bit but I will shoot it a while and see how they 'wear in'.
I do mostly DT's in SXS's but it is just a preference as it makes me slow down and concentrate for the second shot.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:16 am  Reply with quote

GWP wrote:
"Don't think you have to worry about learning barrel selection either, especially not at first. Most people never get around to doing that, its just front trigger and then rear, and that is appropriate for nearly every game situation. Just for perspective, very few people can select a barrel after the shot presents itself when using selectable single trigger guns."

I can't tell you how many times when my wife and I are out shooting and hunting I have found her shotgun switched to the 'upper' barrel first of her O/U. I should probably just reverse the chokes or put the same one in both barrels. She shoots well too!

I have a Dickinson DT and like it. The triggers could be lightened a bit but I will shoot it a while and see how they 'wear in'.
I do mostly DT's in SXS's but it is just a preference as it makes me slow down and concentrate for the second shot.

If you're going to be bird hunting over a respectable pointing dog, the dog will tell you where the birds are and you'll have a fairly decent idea of what the shot presentation will be. The birds you're hunting have a lot to do with it too. For example Mearne's quail down on the border hold tighter than a tick, conversely Hungarian partridge in the open country out west are prone to flushing at the least little noise and very seldom offer a shot inside 30 yards. Knowing your dog and your birds will help make barrel/choke selection much easier.

rkittine
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:50 pm  Reply with quote

I have not hunted in 35 years and will not be doing that now. This will be for going to the range and playing on one of the clay fields, so something like a CZ Ring Neck is more what I had in mind price wise for now.

Bob

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:50 pm  Reply with quote

rkittine wrote:
I have not hunted in 35 years and will not be doing that now. This will be for going to the range and playing on one of the clay fields, so something like a CZ Ring Neck is more what I had in mind price wise for now.

Bob

I have the CZ Ringnecks in 16 ga, 20 ga and 28 ga. They're a little heavy for the gauge for a dedicated bird gun, but handle clay games well. The 16 ga comes with fixed IC/Mod which I've used for 5 stand and sporting clays, but the mod choke doesn't lend itself too well to skeet shooting. I generally shoot my 20 ga Ringneck at skeet because of the screw in chokes. The 28 ga Ringneck is a lot of fun for skeet also and breaks clays with a lot more authority than I'd have thought. I just used my 16 ga Ringneck on a pheasant hunt with a bunch from the Huglu forum over on SGW and it still handles those long tailed rascals great.

CZ SXS's often have heavy triggers, but CZ will lighten them if the trigger is heavier than the weight of the gun. I'm a little more critical on triggers than most and have ended up reworking all my CZ Ringneck triggers.

rkittine
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:33 am  Reply with quote

Is there enough metal in the barrels for flush screw in chokes to be added? That would make it perfect.

Thanks, Bob

susjwp
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:57 pm  Reply with quote

Bob,

I am going to Maidstone gun club to shoot five stand with a 16 L C Smith. If you want to join us you are welcome and can try one of these SxSs out.

John
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:10 pm  Reply with quote

rkittine wrote:
Is there enough metal in the barrels for flush screw in chokes to be added? That would make it perfect.

Thanks, Bob

The 16 ga Ringneck has plenty of barrel thickness for screw in chokes. The 16 ga Ringneck I'm shooting now has the fixed IC/Mod which I've been happy with for bird hunting. But another 16 ga Ringneck of mine had screw in chokes installed by a well known gunsmith on SGW and it didn't work out so well. The second round of skeet with the gun, the skirt of the Carlson choke ripped out and bulged the barrel. Since that time, all my screw in choke installations in SXS's go to Briley for the work. Briley costs a little more, but not nearly as much as a new shotgun.

rkittine
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:13 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. I really like Briley also.

Bob