16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  noblesport
dbshot
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:09 am  Reply with quote

Anyone try them before any feed back thanks.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:03 am  Reply with quote

Two things to consider--the primers have a thicker cup(harder to ignite) and are not standard 209 size if you intend to reload-will have to use Nobles.
cdb1097
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

I use them all the time, except in the winter, they are a little cooler than WW209's and get a little poofy when the temps drop below 20 degrees. As said before, they are larger than 209's and you can't go back and forth between the two. I have never had problems with the hardness, of the cup.

cdb
JAE 16
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:35 pm  Reply with quote

My experience has been the same as above. I don't like them in the winter, a bit weak, and haven't noticed them to be any harder.

Jason
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:34 pm  Reply with quote

Jeez, What part of West VA. are you from that you notice it's cold enough to affect your primer. Primer is "cooler" you say. Hell's bells, you guys are sensitive on a whole 'nother level. This is kinda like the Bud, Pabst, Schlitz, Miller, Grainbelt, Heilman's, Blatz, Goetz, Schlitz and Hamm's blindfold test. I'll blindfold you and all else the same, you tell me what primer you're firing! Laughing
JNW
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:05 pm  Reply with quote

SS is just all wound up because of our weather. It's been in the 30s and 40s lately and this heat is making us all a little wonky. This is traditionally our coldest time of the year and we don't know what to do without the weather to complain about. I don't even know where I left my gloves as I haven't needed them for over a week!
Going to go cool off,
Jeff
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:24 pm  Reply with quote

Hey JNW -- Guys at the hardware store were wearing shorts and cut-offs today -- and that is no sht Sherlock!!! Gee Whillakers! I should have taken photos, but I didn't want to seem "Not Minnesota Nice". Crazy weather, eh (Oh wait a minute, that's further north sort of talk). Anyway, I can't wait till it's cold enough to stunt the ignition of my freshly installed NobelSport primers -- I'd be thrilled as hell to get some of of those "poofy" shots! And you know its those below +30F temps that really affect the hardness and modulus of elasticity of those primer cups. Time to put in the special winter springs in the locks of my guns -- it's a Minnesota secret, just like chains on the car, eh!
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:46 am  Reply with quote

Had the pleasure of missing my connecting flight last Sunday due to weather and ended up staying in Minneapolis for the night on my way to Vegas. I had on a blazer and I figured 'Oh crap I am going to freeze.' But it was actually in the 30's???!!!

What's up with that? I thought you Minnesota folks would be coved up with snow with 'freezing your butt off cold'. Then I came back through this past Saturday and it was still warm.

gloftness
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:46 am  Reply with quote

Dogchaser37 wrote:

What's up with that? I thought you Minnesota folks would be coved up with snow with 'freezing your butt off cold'. Then I came back through this past Saturday and it was still warm.

My only complaint of the balmy 30-40F weather was I had to pick purple hulls out of some soupy mud around the shooting stations. Shot up a flat of shells on last Saturday. January and February can be times to just survive in MN, but it's been wonderful this year.
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:05 pm  Reply with quote

For the last 18 months I have accessed each week as helping or hurting the pheasant population. It's been easy living for ring neck lately! I had to let the boy make mud angels this week!

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:26 am  Reply with quote

Could it be that cdb1097 means the recipe all together using a lower powered or "cool/cold" primer isn't working as well in the cold? I know when I sub a CC109 (cooler/lower powered) primer in a W209 recipe mid winter the shells sound noticably different, my leads have to increase and there is a lot of unburned powder in the barrels.

joe_dumy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:44 pm  Reply with quote

I have been through about 4000 of them now and look forward to the end of them. I had several miss fires at the range. One guy asked if I was using Nobels and I said yes and he told me to toss the ones out that didnt have the red dot. I have not had any miss fires since and I toss out 3 to 5 per hundred.

I think I will go back to Cheddites on my next case. I dont have any cold weather issues here at least not enough to worry about.
FlyChamps
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:31 pm  Reply with quote

I've been through about 15K NobelSports without a single misfire. I don't shoot in really cold weather but my loads with NobelSports have worked down to 25 degrees with no pooky sounding loads.

Every one of the NobelSports with the missing red cover have fired. I just don't use the primers with the missing cover with fine ball powders (as recommended since I started reloading in 1973) - this means that I pull them when I load MP300 in my .410 loads and use them in my 12, 16, 20, 24 and 28 gauge loads - again, as I said, with nary a misfire.

I don't use Cheddites because they pierce in several of my guns sending hot gases to the firing pins and around them into the action. No other primer has pierced in any of my guns.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:06 am  Reply with quote

I shot them last year at the grand. ( 16ga ). They were 1-1/16 oz. did not like them. The hulls are a bit shorter than cheddite's.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:53 am  Reply with quote

dbshot wrote:
Anyone try them before any feed back thanks.

I've never shot any of the ammo, but I've been using Noblesport 209 primers for reloading my fun and practice loads for quite a while now. I've not had any issues with them-no misfires nor cold weather poofie loads.

Two things to keep in mind here for you reloaders:

A) Always stick to the primer you start with once you reprime your hulls. Separate any hulls which have been reprimed with another brand. Otherwise you may very well end up with loose or ill seated primers.

B) Always check weigh your powder charges at first to make sure you are not getting overly light drops. Reloader manufacturers are notorious for producing undersized powder bushings in order to avoid liability lawsuits brought by uninformed consumers and their overly zealous tort lawyers. Let your powder scale tell you what you are getting and forget what the bushing chart claims you will get. the chart is lying to you. This bit of truth is most important during cold weather when overly low average peak pressures from undercharged loads cause the most problems.