16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  WTB Gunsmith Screwdrivers
Jbgregory
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:24 pm  Reply with quote

Hello,
I am just starting to get my feet wet here after being inspired by Dave/drcook's Ithaca 37 project. I have a 1952 featherlight that needs some work.
Very early but wanted to see if anyone was willing to sell bits and pieces here rather than me buying a set with 30 bits I don't need.

Best,
Jamie
sharps4590
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:55 am  Reply with quote

If you tinker much with firearms, especially if they are of various makes and nationalities, you'll use the bits.

If basics is all you need Lyman used to make a screwdriver with interchangeable bits and they can always be ground to fit and rehardened if necessary. I've had to do that frequently.

Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools. Romans 1:22

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:02 am  Reply with quote

Jbgregory wrote:
Hello,
I am just starting to get my feet wet here after being inspired by Dave/drcook's Ithaca 37 project. I have a 1952 featherlight that needs some work.
Very early but wanted to see if anyone was willing to sell bits and pieces here rather than me buying a set with 30 bits I don't need.

Best,
Jamie

If you want to only buy the ones you need for your particular gun, Brownells sells individual bits. Use a standard feeler gauge to determine the width of the slot on your screws and a caliper to get the length of the slot and just order those. You'll need some type of handle also, which Brownells sells separately.

When I went through Jack Rowe's double gun gunsmithing class, all his "turnscrews" were individually reground screwdrivers to fit typical gun screws.

rkittine
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:28 am  Reply with quote

MidwayUSA has a Wheeler set on sale for under $40.00. Regularly around $70.00. It is, I think the 64 bit set in the case for the 89 bit set, so you can add to it. The 89 bit set is about $69.00, where Brownells and OpticsPlanet sell that one for about $89.00.

Bob

Last edited by rkittine on Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:29 am; edited 1 time in total

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
grassfarmer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:29 am  Reply with quote

My wife bought me a nice set of wheeler 89 piece professional gunsmithing screwdriver set from cabelas . They are on sale right now for $79.95.

Lon
drcook
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:19 am  Reply with quote

The reason for the gunsmith screw drivers are the bits are flat/hollow ground. Screw drivers from Sears, Harbor Freight etc are responsible for buggered up screw heads.

A lot of smaller gunshops will have screw driver bits also. Some shops will have Chapman brand. I still have my original set from 35 years ago.

www.chapmanmfg.com

here is a good read why

www.forsterproducts.com/store.asp?pid=24836

These would get you by. You might have to thin them down.

www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Outers-Deluxe-28-Piece-Gun-Cleaning-Kit-with-51-Bit-Screwdriver-Set&i=694228&r=view

www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Wheeler-Engineering-28-Piece-Space-Saver-Gunsmithing-Screwdriver-Set&i=757485&r=view

www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4323178&kw=gunsmith+screwdrivers&origkw=gunsmith+screwdrivers

DrewBob
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:51 pm  Reply with quote

I second the Chapman screwdriver set. Large range of head sizes & styles, and you can order them individually if you need to make something custom (like a notched flat for a bushed firing pin). Their master set would make a fine birthday present for your wife Smile.
drcook
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:59 pm  Reply with quote

I double checked today. The Chapmans (well at least my old set) fit Ithaca 37 screws much better than the other ones.

Pecos
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:35 pm  Reply with quote

what about Grace screwdrivers.. very nice look and they will custom grind them for you
Jbgregory
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:36 am  Reply with quote

Ask and ye shall receive.

My lovely and thoughtful wife surprised me with a nice starter set from Chapman this morning on my birthday. Many thanks to all for your suggestions and and I look forward to posing pictures of my Ithaca 37 restoration project.

Best,
Jamie
BigCreekMI
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:44 pm  Reply with quote

I second Riflemeisters suggestion to consider reshaping existing screwdrivers to specific purpose. It seems that often, none of the sets I own with interchangable tips seem to fit the troublesome job at hand. Almost all of my Grace screwdrivers have been reshaped at least once. I prefer Grace for that reason over the little bitty interchangable tips which are too hard & small to work on. I even have a few Sears, Harbor Freight, etc drivers with tips I have reshaped over the years.

Nasty-G
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:31 am  Reply with quote

I just bought a Pachmayr set from Amazon for less than $20 on sale. Made in Taiwan but almost everything is made overseas now. Looks like it will work for me.
Gil S
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:40 am  Reply with quote

You guys that are snowed in might be interested in killing time watching a master gunsmith make turnscrews for fine doubles from scratch in the British tradition. Sorry, no subtitles. Wink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9xAA5UnF1w