16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Choke Reaming
Griffon
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:58 am  Reply with quote

Bought a Winchester Mod 24 in 16ga for a rainy day gun. It has Mod and Full chokes and would like to open the chokes up. Looking for someone who could do this. I have no interest in tubing this gun and need someone with some skill other than a quick drill job that results in a lousy pattern.
Thanks

Gil S
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:16 am  Reply with quote

Griffon wrote:
Bought a Winchester Mod 24 in 16ga for a rainy day gun. It has Mod and Full chokes and would like to open the chokes up. Looking for someone who could do this. I have no interest in tubing this gun and need someone with some skill other than a quick drill job that results in a lousy pattern.
Thanks

Mike Orlen's name pops up a lot in these requests. He's competent and fast turnaraound. His current phone number: 413.256.1630 . Gil
Griffon
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:29 am  Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll give him a try.

JNW
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:05 pm  Reply with quote

Rich Cole is in Maine. His shop is top notch. Cole's Gunsmithing.
Jeff
fourtrax
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:18 pm  Reply with quote

If you are having the Chokes opened....... It might be worth considering opening the forcing cones also.

Griffon
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:48 am  Reply with quote

Forgot about Coles. Thanks all.

Boats
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:39 am  Reply with quote

Buy or load spreader shells, they work very well. Opening doubles more than half jobs go wrong. Thin at the muzzles out of round etc. Plus opened chokes cut Value.

Have had several pump chokes opened and chokes installed with good results. Won't let anybody mess with my doubles chokes.

Boats.
Carlos
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:50 am  Reply with quote

After some thought, but little experience, I agree with Boats.
Roadkill
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:10 pm  Reply with quote

I have had three done, and all three are perfect. They shoot to point of aim as they did before, they pattern well, and the chokes measure out to exactly what I specified. The key here is to find someone who knows what they are doing and is known for double gun experience, not Joe Local Cowboy Action Gun Butcher. I would not hesitate to have Mike Orlen open a choke on a double.
Just my 2 cents worth, YMMV.
John Singer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:17 am  Reply with quote

It is not a Winchester Model 24 but it is a double barrel Parker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6yrnJIyjtU

Boats
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:54 am  Reply with quote

Good example, chance of open job right using his method is less than 10 %. It's just not that simple.

Boats
Griffon
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:03 am  Reply with quote

Looking for a decent pattern. The "value" of this gun was dead a long time ago. Like I said this will be the rainy day special.

John Singer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:07 pm  Reply with quote

Boats wrote:
Good example, chance of open job right using his method is less than 10 %. It's just not that simple.

Boats

I am betting the guy in the video does know what he is doing.

You do realize that 43% of all statistics are made up on the spot. Only 17% of people know that.

I know full well what you are saying. SxS barrels are regulated. A few years ago, I purchased a well used 16 gauge Stevens 5100 from a garage sale for $100. The left barrel did not shoot to point of aim. I wanted to use it for waterfowl hunting with steel shot. I opened the choke from full to modified and spent a couple of hours working on it before I got it regulated properly. It shoots quite well right now.

Boats
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:12 pm  Reply with quote

Problem with the video method is he is indexing the reamer on the inside of the bore and reaming by hand. SxS guns were mostly bored and reamed first then filed outside to weight and shape. Inside may not be concentric in fact few are, if not and indexing midway up the barrel the muzzles come out thin one side thick the other. Little metal left to even things up they look out of round even if they shoot to point of aim

Top gunsmith will be much more precise setting up and keep things true.. Even so a good shop will reject open jobs if they don't think they will come out right.

Other hand at about 4 bucks a box more than regular you can buy spreaders, less if you load . Can buy a lot of spreader shells for the cost of a good choke job. Why not buy a box of RSTs and pattern first, might be surprised how well they pattern

It's your gun and choice though. Briley has done two of my pumps and a few SxS guns for friends all came out good. Getting ready to send him a 870 barrel now.

Boats
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:49 am  Reply with quote

The problem with having the chokes reamed in an SxS double is the chance that the barrel regulation of a proven to be accurate gun may become altered and accuracy degraded. Some doubles are regulated by slightly bending barrels and then mating and assembling them in such a manner so they hit very close to the same spot down range. This is especially true for older domestic SxS double guns made prior to WWII and some imports made today. It is less true of very modern O/U doubles with fixed chokes made by some manufacturers (but not all) due to the proven manufacturing techniques used to accurately assemble barrel sets today.

It takes a true expert who knows and understands SxS doubles to do the work w/o damaging accuracy. Mike Orlen is one who does in my experience. He opened the chokes of my known to be very well regulated and accurate 1960's AyA Matador w/o noticeably changing the mutual point of impact of either pattern center.