16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Browning 16ga info
Iowa
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:29 am  Reply with quote

Hey. New guy here. I am going to go look at a Browning 16ga this weekend and probably purchase it. I'm not sure of its age or value. He sent me some pictures and the wood and bluing look very very nice.

The serial # is X61854

Thanks guys, I've been wanting one for a long time as my uncle and cousins all used brownings for bird hunting. I've never had the pleasure of shooting one,
4setters
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:03 pm  Reply with quote

Iowa, a Auto-5 Browning is definately a good choice for bird hunting. I especially like mine for pheasant hunting, and it was my go-to gun when I hunted Iowa in the 1990's and 2000's. Last pheasant trip, I shot at 11 birds with it and 9 came home with me. I don't use mine for quail much, as the choke (two stars--modified) is too tight, and I have lighter guns too use. My observation is that most A-5's are choked pretty tight for the choke designation; i.e., mine shot about like some other full chokes by other manufacturers that I've used. Cracked fore-ends are a weak spot for A-5's; if you get a chance make sure it's OK before you buy. Sweet 16's or regular 16's have a hugh following among pheasant hunters--for a good reason.

A BPS ain't bad either, but I think you're talking A-5 in your post.

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
kgb
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:42 pm  Reply with quote

1952 according to this guide: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=297760

Iowa
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:11 am  Reply with quote

4setters wrote:
Iowa, a Auto-5 Browning is definately a good choice for bird hunting. I especially like mine for pheasant hunting, and it was my go-to gun when I hunted Iowa in the 1990's and 2000's. Last pheasant trip, I shot at 11 birds with it and 9 came home with me. I don't use mine for quail much, as the choke (two stars--modified) is too tight, and I have lighter guns too use. My observation is that most A-5's are choked pretty tight for the choke designation; i.e., mine shot about like some other full chokes by other manufacturers that I've used. Cracked fore-ends are a weak spot for A-5's; if you get a chance make sure it's OK before you buy. Sweet 16's or regular 16's have a hugh following among pheasant hunters--for a good reason.

A BPS ain't bad either, but I think you're talking A-5 in your post.

Yes. This is an A-5. I am originally from Iowa and now live in SW Missouri. I used to pheasant hunt a lot as a kid and in my early 20's. And a lot of the guys I hunted with had the Sweet 16's and such. I grew up poor and my parents couldn't afford a shotgun like that. I ended up always having to use my dads 1979 Sears and Robuck 12ga or borrow my friends 410 single shot.

Down here you can't pheasant hunt though and I miss that. I've been getting more into long distance rifle shooting and reloading etc.

It's funny you are from NW AR. That is where I have to go to pick this up on Saturday!

Thanks for the info!
Iowa
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:16 am  Reply with quote

kgb wrote:
1952 according to this guide: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=297760

Thanks for the link kgb! I tried looking on Brownings website and it was hard to understand.. This makes more sense!
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:47 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome Iowa,

What part of the state did you originate from?

If you ever come up my way during the season I'd be happy to share a field with ya.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
Iowa
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:27 pm  Reply with quote

Charlie16ga wrote:
Welcome Iowa,

What part of the state did you originate from?

If you ever come up my way during the season I'd be happy to share a field with ya.

NW Iowa. My hometown is Palmer. Went to school at Pocahontas. Worked at snap- on in Algona for 5yrs while living in Fenton.

Where are you from??
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:06 pm  Reply with quote

Truely a small world. I live in sac city just 40 mins from pokey. If you still have family up this way hit me up during season.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
Iowa
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:59 am  Reply with quote

Charlie16ga wrote:
Truely a small world. I live in sac city just 40 mins from pokey. If you still have family up this way hit me up during season.

Sounds good. My wife is from Fonda. Not too far from Sac City! My grandparents live in Manson and I have a sister in Ft Dodge.
Iowa
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:06 pm  Reply with quote

Picked up the gun today. I think it's in pretty decent shape!

Now if I can figure out how to post pics here. I have an iPhone 6 [/img]