16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Verify a Full ID
jsorvik
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:52 pm  Reply with quote

I just bought 500 unfired hulls. I have been reloading 12 gauge for a while, but I will be reloading 16 gauge shells for the first time. I am assuming these are federal hulls. When I look at the basewad through the primer hole, it looks like a fiber basewad, but it does not look rolled like the 12 gauge federal hulls. Are these in fact federal paper basewad hulls?
[URL=http://s104.photobucket.com/user/jsorvik/media/20150303_203801.jpg.html] [/URL]
[URL=http://s104.photobucket.com/user/jsorvik/media/20150303_203749.jpg.html] [/URL]
[URL=http://s104.photobucket.com/user/jsorvik/media/20150303_203854.jpg.html] [/URL]
[URL=http://s104.photobucket.com/user/jsorvik/media/20150303_203830.jpg.html] [/URL]
JNW
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:49 pm  Reply with quote

Sure looks like a Federal. Don't know if they've ever offered them for sale, but they do leak out of the factory sometimes. I have a friend who has several hundred.
Regards,
Jeff
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:21 am  Reply with quote

Hello jsorvik,

Welcome on your first posting

Yes, these are older Federal virgin hulls.

These should work well for roll or pie crimping

They do look like an older hull and may have to be warmed
a bit to help reloading.

Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total

putz463
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:51 am  Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, neat find. Certainly looks like a Fed hull. Could be a hull originally destined for the "contract manufacture" branch of Fed. Years back they re-branded Fed made ammo for Sears, Montgomery Wards, Western Auto, Monarch etc.

A little heads-up; are you going to roll or fold crimp? Reason I ask is, if fold crimp you may want to skive or chamfer, what looks like, the sharp hull lip with a skiving tool to facilitate inserting the wad when in a press. When I reload new unfired hulls that haven't been skived they tend to load a little more difficult than the skived ones. If rolling and inserting wad by hand they should work fine.

Again welcome aboard,

jsorvik
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:33 am  Reply with quote

Hey everbody! Thanks for the warm welcome and the information. You have been very helpful!
jswanson
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:06 am  Reply with quote

Jsorvik

"I just bought 500 unfired hulls."

If these hulls are commercially available somewhere, I for one would love to know where I could get some.

Good luck with the New Federals. In my opinion the best hulls currently available.

Joe

jsorvik
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:02 am  Reply with quote

No. . . just a lucky Craigslist find. I am in the process of buying a used 16ga SxS and thought I should start looking for some hulls for reloading. Went on to our local craigslist and BAM . . . there they were.

Found a used mec Versa 700 in 16 gauge in TX and driving over to BPI today to pick up some wads and I should have shells ready to try by the time the gun gets to me.

Really looking forward to using the 16 as my grouse gun!
jswanson
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:56 pm  Reply with quote

Great find you have some good luck. Just for fun what is your SXS. A FOX C grade you found in a garage sale for $50

Joe

JNW
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:09 pm  Reply with quote

You're just popping over to BP? Nice 3.5 hr drive from Duluth. You probably drove within a mile of me.
jsorvik
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:46 pm  Reply with quote

Ha! I am rarely a lucky guy. No . . . Not a fox. CZ Bobwhite is what I am buying used.

I live in Duluth but I get down to the Cities for work several days each month, so I make runs to BP when I need something . . .

Looking forward to exploring the world of 16 gauge AND sxs shooting!
gloftness
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:06 pm  Reply with quote

There was a goof ball at the St Paul 16ga shoot last year that bought a whole box of these same Federal hulls from a fellow shooter there. He's on the right in the pic below and really has a hankering for those Beretta 16ga guns.

Anyway, they seem to load just fine on my Mec 9000 without any special equipment to skive etc. I stuck one in my loader tonight and ran it through.

Only glitch with them is that the primer pocket is small, but I just pull the handle and they seat in fine. I've got a lot of once fired Federals and Cheddites to work down before I get into using these.

Bring your 16 to SSP in May!!!

[URL=http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/gloftness/media/IMG_3477_zpsc9xqyyvx.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/gloftness/media/0c8bbead-65ad-4b08-88c3-cac8623e9c61_zps5mhknj3l.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/gloftness/media/1264d280-2974-4695-bdc8-988591b2feff_zpszjmjor4o.jpg.html] [/URL]