16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Safety - Auto or not?
DanLee
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:16 pm  Reply with quote

What's so hard about getting into the habit of pushing off the safety before shooting? It seems to me that with an auto safety the shooter only has to worry about whether it's off, not whether it's on. I've never lost a target or quarry because I had an auto safety.

One other thing, we're only talking about break-open guns. I don't know of any pumps or semiautos that have automatic safeties, and those are the ones that would be safer with them!

Dan
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:23 pm  Reply with quote

DanLee wrote:
What's so hard about getting into the habit of pushing off the safety before shooting?
Dan

It isn't that it's so hard- it's that it's completely unnecessary.

If a break-open gun is carried as it should be- action open, shells visible; then when a bird rises, the gun is closed as it is raised to the shoulder, tracking the bird- fire; oh but wait, after the action has closed and the gun is firmly in the shoulder instead of pressing the trigger, now we get to push the safety off, the swing is now out of sync with the bird- but it's all for the best- the bird lives to see another day, the shooter just saved firing a shell and the gun will be that much easier to clean when it is put away for the day..
fin2feather
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:35 pm  Reply with quote

You've been watching too many driven shoot movies Very Happy . Nobody carries a gun like that in the field.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Gil S
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:29 pm  Reply with quote

My first shotguns were pumps and autos which don't have automatic safeties. It makes no difference to me whether a double or O/U has auto safety or not.
jschultz
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:59 pm  Reply with quote

I grew up with a single shot hammer gun and transitioned to an automatic safety with no issues. I've never considered an alternate and when the gun hits my shoulder the safety switch is pushed to off.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:51 pm  Reply with quote

I would rather not have auto safeties on any shotgun. I am down to only a Beretta 686 with an auto safety.

Kinda think that if I want the safety on, I can do that for myself. I have never had a problem with an auto safety, would just rather that they didn't exist.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:51 am  Reply with quote

My Tobin has an auto which refuses to kick back all the way when gun is opened . Totally screws up getting cocked fully etc . It isn't the firing sequence , it's the reloading sequence . Can't remember to thumb back the safety 1st no matter how hard I try . Brain just knows the gun shoulda done it !

bigboyd4466
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:07 am  Reply with quote

Dogchaser37 wrote:
I would rather not have auto safeties on any shotgun. I am down to only a Beretta 686 with an auto safety.

Kinda think that if I want the safety on, I can do that for myself. I have never had a problem with an auto safety, would just rather that they didn't exist.

This

3crosses
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:02 pm  Reply with quote

When I was a wee tkye, my Grandfather only shot pointed birds and only closed his gun while flushing a pointed bird. He didn't need a safety.

As I have gotten older I have tried to emulate him. Of course being older the pleasures of hunting have changed and I no longer have a need to bag game.

So I no longer have a need for a safety either. In target shooting I haven't needed a safety either.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:04 pm  Reply with quote

fin2feather wrote:
You've been watching too many driven shoot movies Very Happy . Nobody carries a gun like that in the field.

Sorry to disagree. I think the choice to carry a double broken w/ shells in the chamber or in battery with the safety on very much depends on the situation. IMO, it makes no sense to carry a gun broken open when actively rough hunting w/o dogs, when in a squad while driving a field for birds, or when hunting over flushing dogs which can't be reliably controlled (hupped). It also makes little sense to me when hunting solo or with one experienced companion over pointing dogs in uncrowded areas of open cover where the view of the surroundings is relatively unobstructed and the footing is sure.

However, I tend to do it anytime I'm hunting in a somewhat crowded area over pointing dogs. This is especially true where the cover tends to limit the view and the footing slows the pace. Doing so allows me to freely scan the surrounding area for other hunters and dogs w/o having to constantly watch my footing as I follow the dog through rougher cover. I will usually have plenty of time to close the gun and prepare for a shot when the dog has gotten very birdy and a point is probably imminent. There is zero chance of an accidental discharge should I stumble. I might lose a shell or two out of the chambers, but the added peace of mind I have is worth the risk. My caution has paid off several times.

I also tend to keep my gun broken when on station at a dove field. I have always had plenty of time to close the gun after the incomers have been spotted and it looks like they will soon be in range. The same thing would apply at any driven bird shoot when on a station (although I've never had the opportunity).

Needless to say, I won't have an automatic safety on any of my shotguns. There is no such thing as an idiot proof gun, and an automatic safety won't make a gun so. I am perfectly capable of deciding when my gun should be in battery w/ the safety on or when my gun should be broken open for added safety.
DanLee
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:14 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
There is no such thing as an idiot proof gun, and an automatic safety won't make a gun so.

It does help make the idiot who forgets to put the safety on a little safer to be around. Of course, YOU could never be that much of an idiot, right?

One of my cousins lost a son when a nice old non-idiot "demonstrated" how a safety would keep the gun from going off. It wasn't an auto safety either.

Dan
FlyChamps
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:31 pm  Reply with quote

I prefer manual safeties for safety reasons and have had all of my double gun auto safeties deactivated..

The reason is that I own rifles, pistols and shotguns which have manual only safeties - bolt, single shot, pump, semi-auto and, yes, lever - if my double guns had auto safeties they would function differently than my non-auto safety guns. Since ALL of my guns have manual safeties I am always aware that I must engage the safety. I learned when SCUBA diving, sky diving and flying that "always the same procedure" is safer than "what do I do now?".

I started my wife with a semi-auto with a manual safety. When she bought her double with an auto safety she noted that they worked differently and she wanted them to work the same so we had the auto safety deactivated. Now there are no auto safeties in our house.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:37 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
fin2feather wrote:

Sorry to disagree...it makes no sense to carry a gun broken open when actively rough hunting w/o dogs, when in a squad while driving a field for birds, or when hunting over flushing dogs...

Fair enough. Since these are the kinds of hunting my companions and I do I guess I should have said "of those who (see hunting methods above) I personally don't know, nor have I ever known, anyone who carries a gun like that in the field."

P.S. Further edited after Todd's post below. Y'all win.

Last edited by fin2feather on Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Todd
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:19 am  Reply with quote

fin2feather wrote:

Actually I do! Cool
One of my hunting partners uses a brace of goldens for hunting and he also carries "open".
I also prefer hammers to safeties, although on of my newer hammer guns has a safety as well- lawyers, I guess! Rolling Eyes
However, I have lots of guns with manuals, some with auto safeties, and I never really considered it an issue.
Cat

Savage16
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:24 am  Reply with quote

I too have all types of safeties on various guns. I didn't even know you could have both auto and manual in one gun til I got an Elsie. From my firearms safety teaching days, our definition of a safety was, a mechanical device that WILL fail. In other words, don't rely on it. ever. Muzzle control trumps a safety.